• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Garmin 740s vs. 741xp

Garmin 740s vs. 741xp

• Garmin 740s On Sale at West Marine for $799

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garmin 741xp $1499

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Which would you purchase and why? Thank you

Garmin 740s is on sale at West Marine for $799
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/fishfindergpscombos/gpsmap-740s/prod101693.html
cf-lg.jpg

Garmin 741xp $1499
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/fishfindergpscombos/gpsmap-741xs/prod119867.html
cf-lg.jpg

Comparison Chart
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...p?compareProduct=119867&compareProduct=101693

Last edited:
I looked at one of those at a boatshow and even bought it. When I received it - it was too darn big for the helm. I just couldn't find a place for it, and ultimately returned it. It IS a sweet unit.

I looked at one of those at a boatshow and even bought it. When I received it - it was too darn big for the helm. I just couldn't find a place for it, and ultimately returned it. It IS a sweet unit.

Which one did you get and return? What did you end up with?

I also got the 740S when I bought my 242 LS and ultimately returned it. It was just too big and would not have been happy with it. I ended up getting the Garmin 547xs. So far the unit is great and I have been very happy with it. Amazing graphics and a very quick screen refresh.

I ended up with a Garmin 640 - not really a marine unit - there is a whole thread on her about this and other Garmin Units. Had a 440 on another boat that I liked a lot - most likely the 440 has been upgraded to something like the 547 that Lester is talking about.

Aux 2009 097.jpg

IMG_20121027_153636.jpg

I ended up with a Garmin 640 - not really a marine unit - there is a whole thread on her about this and other Garmin Units. Had a 440 on another boat that I liked a lot - most likely the 440 has been upgraded to something like the 547 that Lester is talking about.

Looks like we can fit the 700 series just like this...no?

3428-b0469998d1eb43c634029a25f6f1e720.jpg

Norboo - No - that's a 640 the 740 is MUCH bigger

I chose to go with the Garmin Montana 650 with a suction cup RAM mount. The reason for me was the need to use the device in more than just the boat. The Montana comes with TOPO's and I bought charts on a flash card.

Montana.jpeg

Looks great - good luck with it!

Back