• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garmin 742xs, is it overkill?

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey All, I bought my boat this past weekend and during purchase I did a impulse purchase of a depth finder (Garmin 742xs with GT23m Transducer. I do not fish and mainly use my boat for pleasure in the gulf and sarasota bay area. Mainly need a solid GPS and depth option.
Is this overkill for what I need or is this a good unit? I got the combo for 1k, not installed yet.

(BTW, I was excited when I thought I could get engine data on this screen too but learned that's not the case)

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey All, I bought my boat this past weekend and during purchase I did a impulse purchase of a depth finder (Garmin 742xs with GT23m Transducer. I do not fish and mainly use my boat for pleasure in the gulf and sarasota bay area. Mainly need a solid GPS and depth option.
Is this overkill for what I need or is this a good unit? I got the combo for 1k, not installed yet.

(BTW, I was excited when I thought I could get engine data on this screen too but learned that's not the case)
For the price and what you'll be using it for, IMO, yes. Nice unit though...

My boating sounds exactly like yours. I purchased the Garmin echoMAP CHIRP Plus 73cv with G3 maps and I couldn't be happier. I chose this one cause it is touch screen. Super easy to use. I also hooked up the NMEA2000 to it so I can read engine data.

Welcome to the forum :Welcome: !!! Great place to be...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I bought the Garmin 94SV....so I'm not one to ask! We love it!!! Great for navigating, easy to use, and also good for fishing.

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! these forums are awesome. everyone has been so helpful (not mean nor judgemental). I'm learning tons already!
I might just go out and install my GPS now. ;)

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you wanted it and it didn’t prevent you from paying the mortgage, then not overkill IMO lol.

FWIW I just bought a “broken” Garmin 74dv (ribbon cable was loose) which is probably more than I need, but I wanted a reliable depth finder, nav that could handle a trip to Bimini and something that’ll be able to ping the occasional dive site. I probably could’ve gotten away with less but hey if you’re comfortable with it, why not?

My install could probably use some work though, doesn’t seem to get good readings sitting in a cardboard box...

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I don't think it's overkill at all...I went for the 942xs. :D
GPS - Glen.JPG

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright, you're making me feel better now. Luckily I did not miss a mortgage payment over this purchase. Now I just need to get over the jitters of drilling into my boat to install the transducer and mount bracket. I'll try and take pics as I go, if it turns out, I'll share the finished photos. :)

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Alright, you're making me feel better now. Luckily I did not miss a mortgage payment over this purchase. Now I just need to get over the jitters of drilling into my boat to install the transducer and mount bracket. I'll try and take pics as I go, if it turns out, I'll share the finished photos. :)
haha. Good enough for a WaveRunner definitely good for a boat. Take your time and measure multiple times and really think how to do it best and you'll be fine. ;)

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
haha. Good enough for a WaveRunner definitely good for a boat. Take your time and measure multiple times and really think how to do it best and you'll be fine. ;)
Forgot to ask you, they sold me a transom mount transducer with mine. What'd you go with? Are map updates included on these long term or is that another fee?

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Forgot to ask you, they sold me a transom mount transducer with mine. What'd you go with? Are map updates included on these long term or is that another fee?
I haven't done a transducer; I wanted to make sure the auto routing feature worked as promised it would (it does) before installing one. They (GPS Store) recommend the P79.

Scott at The GPS Store has been incredible to deal with. scott@thegpsstore.com

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally, I don;t think there is such a thing as overkill as far as chartplotter size!
As long as you can comfortably and securely fit it behind the windshield - the bigger the better in my book.

--

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Assuming you bought a new model it should come with the G3 maps. You can update these maps for up to one year.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Garmin has a good guide on transducers:

The GT23 you got is a good one. The only thing better I think is the Panoptix (they start at $499 and most over $1000) and the Ultra High Def.(start at $250)... but have their own limitation - depth reading (you typically have to cut in half their rated depth to get their actual performance)

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use a 10” tablet

F34260A2-D399-46B8-A37F-B834EB7EEA3C.jpeg

I’m kind of looking at larger options. Never skimp on screen size, your eyes aren’t fine wine, and don’t get better with age!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought and installed an ancestor of the 742xs in 2010. Paid about $1700 for unit, transducer, maps, etc. Plus mount. It was one of my most indispensable boat additions. We used the water temp function more than I thought we would, so a transducer that supports that function is highly recommended. There are a number of less expensive alternatives that can do most of what that unit can. But - If you can afford it, and you want it - do it.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
The one thing about Navionics that really pushed me to switch to a "real" unit with auto guidance was the inability to route a large trip. Navionics would always say "too many waypoints". That drove me nuts...very happy with the Garmin 942xs which can process the trip within seconds and has the auto guidance ready. Like GTBRMC said above it really is an indispensable addition. That being said, it's always important to look over the route and make sure it seems feasible and once on the water; be sure to really pay extra attention as the route is still "blind" to you.

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Making progress, I ordered a Ram Mount for my GPS yesterday (not much room on the dash of the AR190). Going to tackle the job myself, dealer wanted 400 for install. Seemed a bit high in my opinion but i'm new to boating, that might be a normal install cost.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Making progress, I ordered a Ram Mount for my GPS yesterday (not much room on the dash of the AR190). Going to tackle the job myself, dealer wanted 400 for install. Seemed a bit high in my opinion but i'm new to boating, that might be a normal install cost.
You can do it. My Garmin 720 was my first major install. Everyone here can help you do it. Piece of advice that someone gave me about the install: Take your time, don't put a deadline on it. Good luck!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
everything marine is pricey. Most things can be DIY though. If you enjoy it and have the time, try it out yourself first

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey All, wanted to share back an update. The Garmin is installed along with the transducer. My transducer install was done with a Stern Saver (very easy process and has held up well under a couple of outings in rough water already).

My transducer was the GT23m. My first time out I mounted it a little higher on the stern saver to see if I could get good readings....(no dice, only worked at no wake speeds). Next day I moved it down and to the right (see photos) and took it back out. Great readings at all speeds. I was very glad I had the stern saver as it allowed me to try mounting higher first with no issue if I needed to move it lower.

The worst part of the install was drilling the hole for the transducer wire (which has an 8 pin plug that I didn't feel like splicing). I filled this hole with the plug that came with the garmin and JB WaterWeld (great stuff, make a big ball and let it squish out the sides so you know you have all the areas filled. This wire was easily routed up through the boat to the Garmin mounted on the dash.

Listing pictures regarding how far down to mount the transducer as well as the holes of previous mounting location. Hope this helps the next guy that tackles this!

IMG_1314.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1312.jpgIMG_1267.jpgIMG_1270.jpgIMG_1271.jpgIMG_1272.jpg