• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garmin 74dv install on 2016 sx240

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
0922171737a_HDR.jpg 0922171740_HDR.jpg I recently installed my Garmin and am pretty happy with my approach. I purchased a RAM Mount with an 11" arm and 1.5 " ball mount base. I screwed the ball mount base to wall next to the gauges. I used 3 stainless steel bolts for the ball mount base. Thought the wall was a little thin, so I reinforced it will a piece of plastic cutting board that I cut to the size I need. The cutting board was strong plastic and cut it as large as I could. I used a generous amount of that 3M marine grade epoxy and let dry/cure for a few days before drilling holes for my bolts.
Over all very happy with the install. It allows of tons of different positioning of the Garmin. It does block my view and I get it completely out of the way when I need to.

One thing I still to figure out is the power. For now, I am using the power that would go to the 12amp aux plug on the dash. So that plug does not work at all but my Garmin does. I will figure the wiring out at some point so that everything works. 0922171737a_HDR.jpg 0922171737a_HDR.jpg

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also wanted to note that I did not install the transducer yet. I might attempt this winter.
0922171739_HDR.jpg 0922171740a_HDR.jpg
This is the plastic cutting board that I used to reinforce the mounting wall.
0912171728_HDR.jpg

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm left handed so I like the location. I will probably do something similar when I install one.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was goning to install mine like u did but i was worried people would bump into it going back an forth to the bow so we did ours with a sucktion cup on the widshield and i used thay window brace to help hold the bracket.
20170326_124339.jpg

And this u bolt as a brace to take some of the weight off the suction cup.
20170326_124209.jpg

We also ran a power distribution block behind the helm and used that as the power point. We also we able incorporate the fusion radio and the vhf radio in with nmea 2000 back bone. Like i said... this thing in way smarter than i am! I still dont know half the stuff it can do.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was goning to install mine like u did but i was worried people would bump into it going back an forth to the bow so we did ours with a sucktion cup on the widshield and i used thay window brace to help hold the bracket.
View attachment 64846

And this u bolt as a brace to take some of the weight off the suction cup.
View attachment 64849

We also ran a power distribution block behind the helm and used that as the power point. We also we able incorporate the fusion radio and the vhf radio in with nmea 2000 back bone. Like i said... this thing in way smarter than i am! I still dont know half the stuff it can do.

I know this is an older thread but what mount is that?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its a seasucker suction mount. It is normally used for holding bicycle on the back of cars. I used parts of a ram mount to mount to it. And then I used a ubolt around the windshield brace to help with stability..

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you did not have a Ushape bracket I would say this is NO go for Bimini crossing. However, I think you will be okay.
One think to be aware is that the whole unit might get lower with all the bouncing. Maybe you tie it real good on the back or provide some support underneath. If it drops a couple of inches you will probably will not be able to see the screen from the reflection. Recall that the we are heading East at sunrise

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The seasucker is outstanding! I used one to hold my GPS on the column and it survived the Bimini Crossing last year. The GPS fell out of the Garmin holder but the seasucker never moved.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The seasucker is outstanding! I used one to hold my GPS on the column and it survived the Bimini Crossing last year. The GPS fell out of the Garmin holder but the seasucker never moved.
Mine stayed in place too, but the Ipad mini was facing down by the time we arrived in Bimini.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seasuckers are awesome. They have knockoffs on amazon now for a little less, I have my phone mounted to one.

For the OP, if they haven't already figured out how to get their lighter and GPS to have power, just get a little piggyback to slide onto the prongs of the lighter.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My plotter will pivot up it down in the Garmin bracket... I can tikit it where I can see it standing or sitting. . I have not tried to tilt it for me to see while I am cowering under the drivers seat... Maybe during the bimini crossing!