• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas & depth gauge - 2011 242 Limited S

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love my 2011 242 LS, but one of the things that has always driven me crazy was how small the gas and depth indicators are. Does anyone have a recommendation on a solution for this that looks good?

I don't really like drilling holes in the cockpit of the boat but the layout is almost impossible for me to see them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One solution for a better depth gauge is to get a GPS/sounder combo....that is what I use for depth.

I agree...the gas gauge in the tiny lcd panel is really small and lacks definition/gradients.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
E178A61A-6790-49C6-9B92-EE4B67321F25.jpeg @Michael Kay you likely already know this ... but I was frustrated as well, then I found the contrast and backlighting adjustments and it helped visibility:

Bulldog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree that the gauges are not user friendly. I want to install a separate dedicated depth gauge and maybe a separate compass. This summer's project.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see on this vintage, there is a single line or two line display option. I am sure mine is on two line. If a person had depth/speed etc on a graph, could you set it to single line display and make the fuel gauge bigger? I will have to read the service manual closer as the users manual doesn't show pics of it. (I think)

After a quick read of the owners manual, you would choose "large font": which displays information as one line or two lines on the LCD. I may test this tomorrow night to see if it makes the fuel gauge bigger.

Last edited:

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, folks, I've found a little more info, but need help from the community to confirm things.

First, I found a conversation on another forum where someone stated that the gauges for the 2011 242 LS are on a standard NMEA 2000 bus. If that is true I could just tap into the bus and put new gauges in and the data would still be there. I decided to try to confirm this through my dealer (not going to name names to protect the innocent). The dealer said they have no idea and I should call Yamaha. After talking to 3 people at Yamaha I basically got a "we cannot answer that question for you" response. So, that was a dead end.

So, basically I'm hoping someone has the answer to the below questions:

1. Are the gauges on a 2011 242 LS on a NMEA 2000 bus?
2. If so, have you tapped into the bus (people usually do it to have data shared to a fish finder, etc. )

If you know the answer or have done this before please send me a reply. If it is possible to tap into the bus I would think it opens up the ability to easily replace the gauges with aftermarket gauges.

Thanks.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This conversation is being had by the guys that want to run that info directly into their electronics from Lowrance, Hummingbird and Simrad.

What they are finding out is the bus is standard, but the info traveling over the bus is proprietary. So like the Yamaha outboards, they have the bus, unlike the yamaha outboards, the info cannot be used "at this time"

I already have most the info I need on the Simrad, but a larger fuel gauge would be nice. I am going to try "large font" and see how that works. As much as I would like motor telemetry info like RPM, temps etc, I'm not going to spend any crazy money to make it happen.

I will keep following. But do some research on that bus here. Many guys have dug in really deep all the way up the Yamaha food chain. The conclusion was the Yamaha outboards are used by folks that would utilize that information. Where we have glorified PWC motors and the same was never expected.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the message. I'm in the middle of a complete renovation on my boat this summer so I'm willing to see it through is there is a way possible to make it work. I'm ordering a RideSteady so I'll have RPM's and speed covered in that. That said, it would be nice to be able to get the gas gauge and temps through the OEM system.

Hopefully, someone else has info to share. In the meantime I'll keep researching.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, that's correct. That info is available as that is what the gauges are able to utilize. It would be cooler if we could get more engine vitals.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you ever get the LARGE FONT working on the gauges? I'm curious how it looks.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm going to test it tonight once I get to the lake. I can hear my boat calling me from 60 miles away. It is sitting on the lift telling me to not forget ice for my Morgan/Diet and that it's Friday dammit!!

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow! A Captain/Diet man! kindred spirits... Looking forward to pics from the trip. ;-)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, that is what a boat on a lift at the cabin is for. There is a routine to Friday evenings. It usually involves cocktails and about 4-5 cans of gas and a shaker siphon.

The idea is to work smarter, not harder.

Attachments

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see you're in MN. I'm guessing the water is still freezing for my taste! Our water temps are in the upper 80s here in Texas.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Surface temp was 69 last weekend. It will be warmer again this week. We are thick skinned.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
BTW, I just noticed I have your exact boat. Same year, same color, same model. I’m doing a complete renovation on mine this season. New upholstrey, new stereo, SeaDek throughout, RideSteady, Insulating the engine with Soundown kit. I’ll keep you posted on progress.