• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas gauge stuck?

Jbingham

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Was out in some rough water today, gas gauge went from being 2/3 to full and did not go down since then. Assuming the gas gauge is stuck. Easy way to fix or back to the dealer? On a new 165g with 7 hours.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is the 165 a digital gauge or a LCD bar display?

Jbingham

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Not sure what you mean, its on the center digital read out at the top but it is bars depending on how full it is.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sorry! Meant mechanical gauge...so if digital then the problem is back in the sender.

Jbingham

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Unplugged the harness going into the tank, didnt seem loose but who knows. Also checked the other end. Has a full tank right now. Guess we will find out next time we go out if it goes down.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
More than likely the float on the sensor has rotated getting between the tank.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Where did you get that float?? You can't use silicone either since the gas will eat it. Secondly, the float usually cones with the arm already attached. You will move the tabs that the arm is attached to on tbe base of the fuel pump housing and slide the entire sensor up and out.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My gauge was only reading from 1/2 to full (half was empty - full was half-to-full). I bought a new sensor and when I removed the old one THERE WAS NO FLOAT ON IT!? Just the steel rod with a rough edge on the bottom. The new one that I installed had a plastic float and a thinner top section which forced me to drill new holes for the screws (not bolts) that came with it. I siliconed around the top and over the screw heads and it seems to be working fine. Next time I get down to half of a tank I'll fill up and see how many gallons it takes. Hopefully the numbers will add up. The new unit had no adjusting screws on it so hopefully it works!

Okay, I am confused now. You said that you had a 165G (Scarab) but are showing me a Yamaha part and part number?? Not sure why? If you have a Yamaha, this should've been in the Yamaha Category to avoid confusion.

PanamaJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Unplugged the harness going into the tank, didnt seem loose but who knows. Also checked the other end. Has a full tank right now. Guess we will find out next time we go out if it goes down.
Did you find the problem?

Jbingham

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No the problem was not as simple as that. I have been keeping it full and just pulled it out of the lake tonight to do the first service and get it to the dealer with the gas gauge issue.

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got a similar problem the gauge will be 3/4 or less and then it shows full if you've been idling a while. But if I shut the boat down and restart it shows the proper fuel reading. Just started that.

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have had the same issue a few times. What happens is the float gets tossed to high from the gas sloshing around and it gets stuck in the upright position against the top of the tank. See picture below:
20170806_154628.jpg

Basically by what I can see is the tank wasnt tested for clearance. On Seadoo jetskis and maybe the jetboats the tank has a indicator mark that lines up with the mark on the pump for rotational orientation. My scarab tank has no marks on it. You can only put the float to the left or the right side of the boat. The back side is too short on the tank and the float wont clear the tank at all. I havent tried moving it to the front position. If you undo the cap on the tank and push the float back down it will all work great again until you drive aggressively. Ask me how I know.

There is no adjustment up or down. The pump sits on the tank bottom and then the top of this assembly compresses down with springs to keep pressure down on it. The float pivot point is fixed to the lower half of this assembly.

Only thing I can think would be a larger float so it wont go to far towards the opening of the tank

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@Speed_Freak_039A well thanks for the info. It just happened to me. 2015 165. Was able to move the float to fix the issue... At least for now.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yep, it happened again. Apparently I need to drive in a smoother fashion (i.e. not do 180s lol). I know, my own fault... but it does seem highly sensitive.

I found a picture in the Scarab parts list... I'm trying to come up with a potential hack but figured I'd ping folks out here and see if you have any clever ideas. I'm thinking a horizontally positioned stick, attached to the two vertical springs as to prevent it from spinning at the right height pointed at the float (but not going too far, just an inch or so past the rim of the hatch) could potentially act as a stopper. Not sure this is all worth it... but trying to see if something could easily be done.

Of course, whatever I'd come up with would have to be fuel proof so that it doesn't dissolve and cause even more issues.

Attachments

Adrian Noble

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I also have a stuck fuel gauge (stuck on Full) for my 2017 Scarab 165 HO. It has 17hrs. I've had it "fixed" once, took it out, and it got stuck again.. not a good sign. It's back in the shop. You shouldn't have to "drive in a smoother fashion" and certainly not your fault on a high performance rocket like this. I want to jump waves, and go crazy without fear of something breaking each time.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
This is odd and random, but I JUST sent a message to the Beneteau Group on this like 30 min ago. We'll see what they respond, but I reflected your sentiments as well.

Adrian Noble

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
They ended up replacing the whole Fuel Pump assembly for my gas gauge issue, since the original repair did not hold. I'll report back if this breaks again. The original only lasted 16 hrs. While it was in there, I also had them replace a broken rear hatch piston, blower switch, and the cabin drain holes (one way valves) were installed backwards.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@Adrian Noble How has it been holding? Beneteau told me to contact BRP, BRP told me to contact a local dealer. Not many of those around my city, but I just sent an email to the nearest Scarab/BRP dealer (like 3h away). I'll see what they tell me but I'm curious if changing the fuel pump assembly did the trick. And if this new fuel pump assembly is any different than the original??? Because it's the design that's the problem, not the fact that it's old of course. lol Thanks.

Justrite

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Mine just got stuck on full. 2017 165 HO 12 hours

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score