• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas hot water heater issue

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I'm always open to trying to DIY (I'm a much better disassembler than fixer) my gas hot water heater is giving us problems.

It's a 50 gallon tank, 11 years old (installed when house was built) and never given us issues before.

In December when we had two nights in the low 20's and days barely above freezing. The following day while warming the shower water I noticed the shower water pressure greatly increased, like nearly double the pressure, it was spraying against the wall much more than before so I know it wasn't just a mental observation.

This was great, I had 1970's water pressure! I figured maybe something in the shower head broke. Unfortunately you can just get through a 10 minute shower before losing hot water and it takes a while to heat up another tank.

None of the other showers or faucets appear to have increased in pressure but it doesn't seem to replace the hot water as quickly as it did.

Any good ideas how to trouble shoot this to ?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try swapping shower heads from one of your showers that's not affected. If that resolves the problem you'll know it was just a bad shower head. Don't forget to wrap the threads with a few turns of Teflon tape.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend using compressed air to clean out the pilot, jet and burner Biannually for NG or LP devices. Obviously shut off the gas first. Do this for fireplaces, firepits, gas powered hvac, cook stove, cook oven, on demand hot water, and hot water tank heaters. The net effect will be reliablity, safety, and efficiency of your NG or LP appliance. To be clear do not find a a way to plumb in compressed air directly just use a blow gun with about 60 psi or a can of compressed air. Also blow out and suck up any dust that has accumulated in the area. Only remove easy acess panels and if you don’t know what you are looking at then don’t do it.

To the LP or NG service guys I am sorry for putting this out there but if you are the type that charges $100 bucks or more to come and blow some compressed air then I don’t feel bad.

Second tip ... also do this to your TVs, cable boxes, laptops, xboxes, routers, fridges, microwave, and any major electronics with a fan or heat outlet at the same time. Just decrease the pressure to about 30 psi on the blow gun or if using a can don’t stick it into the openings. If this extends the life of your electronics and you are the type looking for an excuse to upgrade then just find a different excuse.

Regardless of what you are blowing out (I know how that sounds) just beware it may leave a mess nearby (again I know how that sounds). Ha

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Why would need to heat hot water?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately your tank is on borrowed time. Most should be replaced every 10 years, so besides running a risk of it failing and blowing. The heat chamber could be full of soot.
I agree with @Mainah that cleaning the jet could help.

Go tankless, i have a stainless Rinnai. Best hot water heater ever. Mine is mounted on the outside wall of the sunny side of my house. Has a control pad in my master closet to control the max temp

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas mine just died 3 days ago and we changed from one at Lowes. It was $450. and A#1 asked me $3,800 to change them both. The tankless, A#1 said that it was going to be $6,000 :eek:

if you need help replacing it, I have an unlicensed plummer with 30+ years of experience that will come do it for an empty glass pan. The only problem is that he is going to Greece on Sunday and he is coming back at the end of March. Not sure you are ready to change of Saturday and it the heater will make it until end of March.

PS. I have a scuba tank and regulator that I could bring by in case you want to try the blow out approach :D. I could drop that tomorrow.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swapped shower heads and it appears to have been the issue for now

Thanks for the offer but I think the glass pan has more value than that!