• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas in the lake #1 cyl problem

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have a 2005 SX230 with the port engine surging from 3000rpm to 5000rpm maxing out at 8k.

I serviced both engines but the port is the problem child. Both were overfilled with oil thanks to a dealer here locally so I drained it down and changed the plugs.

PROBLEM: #1 cylinder on the port engine is the problem. Lots of gas in the water behind the boat. Pulled the plug it is soaked with gas.

I ordered a YDS system and i am awaiting its arrival to try and test the injector. Any suggestions on what I can do in the meantime? I read @bronze_10 post and think I may have a similar issue. Stuck injector.

My other thought is maybe the ECU but praying not.

Any suggestions are appreciated .
Rick in SC

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My bet is the ecu. Does the oil smell like gas? Here is the number to get the ecu reworked. ‭+1 (916) 799-4327‬ He does texting too.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
My bet is the ecu. Does the oil smell like gas? Here is the number to get the ecu reworked. ‭+1 (916) 799-4327‬ He does texting too.
Thanks! I want to rule out the injector before that step if possible. I will keep that number too!

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He can test it for $60. Remember, injectors typically get stuck closed not open.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately I am a recent authority on ecu failing. I had one fail in bimini and the 2nd one yesterday. MY boat symptoms where exactly as yours are. I have a loaner ecu and put it in and boom... Boat straightened right up. I sent off my ecu and had it repaired. Gonna put it back in this afternoon and move the loaner over to the other motor so I can send that one out!

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Unfortunately I am a recent authority on ecu failing. I had one fail in bimini and the 2nd one yesterday. MY boat symptoms where exactly as yours are. I have a loaner ecu and put it in and boom... Boat straightened right up. I sent off my ecu and had it repaired. Gonna put it back in this afternoon and move the loaner over to the other motor so I can send that one out!
I read where you had such a time. The other is running good maybe I need to just swap them and see what that engine does.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats what I did first.... Clear right up.. When the ecu fail they hold the inject open... It varies by how much. Mine on the way back from bimini was about 80%... Mine yesterday was a lot less but I was at the ramp when it did it so I didn't run much.

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can ohm out the injector without the yds. The yds had an injector test you can run.