• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gauge Data wire?

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Theres 3 wires coming off the back of the analog speedometer on our 2016 212x...
Gauge Power
Ground
Gauge Data
What does Gauge Data do? There is no LCD display on the oem speedo, what is the data wire for? I bought an aftermarket Digital GPS speedometer, but dont want to interrupt a feedback to the ECU if that's necessary for operation. Any thoughts?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Theres 3 wires coming off the back of the analog speedometer on our 2016 212x...
Gauge Power
Ground
Gauge Data
What does Gauge Data do? There is no LCD display on the oem speedo, what is the data wire for? I bought an aftermarket Digital GPS speedometer, but dont want to interrupt a feedback to the ECU if that's necessary for operation. Any thoughts?
It probably receives the pulses from your water wheel under the boat.. should be interesting to see how the gauge interprets the signals from the water wheel and translates that into the output on the screen.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It probably receives the pulses from your water wheel under the boat.. should be interesting to see how the gauge interprets the signals from the water wheel and translates that into the output on the screen.
Well that makes sense LoL... I overlooked the most obvious possibility, thank you! Positive, negative, and signal to the speedo. Damn, I'm ready to hook this thing up.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well that makes sense LoL... I overlooked the most obvious possibility, thank you! Positive, negative, and signal to the speedo. Damn, I'm ready to hook this thing up.
Right on.. but here’s the thing, your oem gauge is calibrated for X amount of pulses equals A speed… the gauge you have may have a dip switch inside of it to change the calibration. Check the new gauge against a gps to see if it is close. My OEM connext screen reads higher than my gps does most of the time by a mile or two a hour.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Right on.. but here’s the thing, your oem gauge is calibrated for X amount of pulses equals A speed… the gauge you have may have a dip switch inside of it to change the calibration. Check the new gauge against a gps to see if it is close. My OEM connext screen reads higher than my gps does most of the time by a mile or two a hour.
The new gauge uses GPS position for the speedometer, just a 12v positive and ground wire coming out of the back. There is a GPS antenna, its a small black square, I should be able to hide that fairly easily

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My OEM connext screen reads higher than my gps does most of the time by a mile or two a hour.
I wonder if that's a firmware version issue? GPS speed is usually quite accurate, taking into account rounding up/down to whole numbers. My speed shows 30mph while cruising but in the info screen it's actually 29.8 or 30.2 or whatever and rounds to 30. When I compare my Connext to my Axiom screens, they are always the same at whole numbers but can vary slightly by 0.1-0.3 as we move over the water. Not enough to say one is more accurate over the other except under extreme acceleration or slowing where the Connext screen updates at a slower rate compared to the Axiom. We've compared readings to our phones and they're all within a small margin of error, but essentially the same.