• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gel Coat / Fieberglass Help

Ameyer76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All, fairly new Yamaha owner. I bought the boat with this already on it and want to fix it.
Can any one tell me what to patch it with? Can I just use GelCoat patch or do I need to patch it then GelCoat on top?91CFC9CC-391A-4CB2-AA0C-D6B6ED36FB4A.jpeg91CFC9CC-391A-4CB2-AA0C-D6B6ED36FB4A.jpeg50CD13F3-8327-4A24-B650-ADAE6C4338F0.jpeg7D9973AD-A3EA-4B3D-9724-8006B33F7170.jpeg316430CA-FFB5-4F39-94BF-96A6E0645385.jpeg

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Patch or perfectly repair?

Given that some fiberglass is missing, you could tint white Marinetex as a one step repair. The color match won't be perfect but it will be structural and waterproof.

Looks like someone was powerloading with the trailer too deep in the water...

Last edited:

Ameyer76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe you are correct in the way that it happened.
Is the Marinetex going to patch the holes. Would I have to GelCoat over it? I have no clue. Thank you.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Ok those are air pockets where during layup the glass pulled away from the gel. The gel has no strength on its own. It must be backed up with glass. So to start you cant just fill that yet. You need to grind that out. You need to take a grinder and remove all the gel that isnt touching the glass. You can then fill and reshape the area with a polyester filler like adtech p17 then you will spray your gelcoat, sand smooth then compound and polish. By the time you buy everything to do this repair it will be cheaper to have someone do it

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like the anchor banged into the hull?

I would send it out for repair if you want it to look like new. Gelcoat is tricky to color match and lay perfect. You can fill slightly with MarineTex to keep water out until repair.

If you want to try yourself, there are a couple write ups on gelcoat repair on the forum.

Ameyer76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, using some of the Gel coat repair products I’ve seen out there won’t work? I need to fill with fiberglass or something else before using the gel coat repair stuff?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To do properly it will be ground out another inch around the scar then filled and that ridge reshaped. The gel coat is then laid on top filling the top 1/16 to 1/8. Theres varying degrees of how it could be done from DIY to pro level. Each has trades offs from looks to cost.

Ameyer76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. At this point just want to do something to close up the holes and not have any damage

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
that is something that you might want a professional to look at. I would be surprised if those two little holes would be that costly to repair.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I believe you are correct in the way that it happened.
Is the Marinetex going to patch the holes. Would I have to GelCoat over it? I have no clue. Thank you.
It will seal and protect. You don't have to gel coat over marine tex, but of course it won't be a perfect match.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just had a quarters size chip repaired similar to yours, (banged the rail with the box anchor) it was a total of like $250 for the repair. I would suggest letting someone else do it the correct way.

Ameyer76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. Had no idea it would be that much. I thought it would be closer to $1k.