• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Get better flow

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No I'm not talking about your prostate issues, I'm talking about fixing the new gas can flow issues.

I've been working on which gas cans to carry on the up coming Exuma trip. I've settled on the 5 gallon Briggs & Stratton cans which I purchased at Walmart, the size fits perfect on my boat. The downside to the cans is the new smart flow nozzle that requires the nozzle to be pushed down to flow gas. Also, this nozzle, like most new nozzles, is self venting which works but doesn't flow gas as fast as having a separate vent.

To solve the nozzle push to flow feature, I found an old style nozzle at my local hardware store, they are also sold at many place on the internet. This kit includes a large straight flow nozzle and a separate old style vent. To install the old style vent all you do is drill a 1/2" hole in the can and push the vent body in.

After installing the new nozzle and vent on one of my cans, I test the flow of gas into my boat and what a tremendous time saver. There was no more gurgling of fuel, the flow was fast and continuous.

@robert843 , @JROD , @Ramblin Wreck , @1948Isaac if you want an old style vent for your cans, I have purchased 10 vents (I'm using 2 of the 10 for my other cans) the remain vents I will bring to Fort Lauderdale plus a drill and bit to modify your cans before we head out. We can modify the cans with or without fuel.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recently came across the same thing @Andy S. I have always hated those stupid smart gas cans. Every one I have had hasn't worked right... :mad:

I have to suggest that the cans listed below are AWESOME! They aren't cheap, but I have to imagine they would work really well for fueling the boat over the side. And the ones I have work flawlessly. :D

https://jetboaters.net/threads/interesting-gas-can.8129/

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great Job @Andy S I agree with @Bill D I think the new gas cans are smarter then me as I can't get the one I bought to work lol. Thanks for the offer @Andy S but I use the no-spill cans on the ski easy to use and they do meet the new standard which is important for me carrying them on the back of the ski as the will be getting splashed with water the entire trip so I need to make sure no water gets in side the can or things could turn bad once I had to refuel but you will be able to refuel probably 3-4 times faster then I will that's for sure.

#exumas2016

gas1.PNG gas2.PNG

Last edited:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's 7.5 gal you are taking @robert843 ? All other goods are stored up front or is some going on that pretty new boat of @Andy S ? Just looking at ideas for future endeavors.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's 7.5 gal you are taking @robert843 ? All other goods are stored up front or is some going on that pretty new boat of @Andy S ? Just looking at ideas for future endeavors.
I'm the designated pack mule for the Exuma trip but the ski's will be carrying some of their own gear.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm the designated pack mule for the Exuma trip but the ski's will be carrying some of their own gear.
The "S" in @Andy S stands for Sherpa ? Thanks for the pointers here !!

while looking the parts up on Amazon I found this too: http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Can-Adapter-Set-Ez-POUR/dp/B00NB3TV6C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1464970269&sr=8-10&keywords=ez-pour

not sure how it fits to the ID but has some merit.......
I was in the process of turning my jerry can into this: but I digress

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently came across the same thing @Andy S. I have always hated those stupid smart gas cans. Every one I have had hasn't worked right... :mad:

I have to suggest that the cans listed below are AWESOME! They aren't cheap, but I have to imagine they would work really well for fueling the boat over the side. And the ones I have work flawlessly. :D

https://jetboaters.net/threads/interesting-gas-can.8129/
@Bill D those are great can but pricey for my probable one time use as auxiliary boat fuel, the rest of the time my cans will be used around the house.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, they're far from cheap. I bought them in a fit of rage after spilling gas all over my garage with the crappy "safety" cans.... then I saw that you could simply replace the nozzles. :banghead:

But they're worth it.

On an off topic note, is the range of your Cobalt similar to the Yamaha, or better?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, they're far from cheap. I bought them in a fit of rage after spilling gas all over my garage with the crappy "safety" cans.... then I saw that you could simply replace the nozzles. :banghead:

But they're worth it.

On an off topic note, is the range of your Cobalt similar to the Yamaha, or better?
So far based on all the fuel I have burned my 2016 300 hp 25' 8" long Cobalt has the same range as the 2007 320 hp 23' Yamaha did, 150 miles on 50 gallons. Ideally I don't need extra fuel to make it between our planned fuel stops but it is better to have to much fuel than not enough.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also have the No Spill cans. They work great and the flow is pretty good is well. Using the 5 gallon cans, your thumb starts to feel it if you're trying to unload all 5 gallons at once while also trying to balance yourself leaning over handlebars in the ocean. I'm going try and find a clear hose this weekend to extend the spout so I can stand upright without having to lean over so much. I think that will make the unloading much easier and also less likely to spill.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes its 7.5 gallons. My Kawasaki Ultra holds 20.6 gallons in the tanks so with the 7.5 gallons I will be carrying aprox 28 gallons. In Ideal conditions my ski averages 5-6 mpg but in the ocean its reduced pretty heavily to closer to 4 mpg depending on conditions. So this should give me a range of 112 miles our longest stretch is about 95 miles so this is leaving my close to a 20% reserve. If the conditions are good though I probably wont even need to refuel and should be able to make it on my factory fuel tank. I may throw another 2.5 gallon on @Andy S boat just to be safe but we will see. The storage on my ski is massive I could in theory carry everything I needed for this trip on my ski but with the luxury of Andy being there with a boat I have a few items I would not have brought other wise on his boat such as my Drone, Laptop and some food items. Others then those items I will carry all my clothes, snorkel gear and safety equipment with me.

#exumas2016

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also have the No Spill cans. They work great and the flow is pretty good is well. Using the 5 gallon cans, your thumb starts to feel it if you're trying to unload all 5 gallons at once while also trying to balance yourself leaning over handlebars in the ocean. I'm going try and find a clear hose this weekend to extend the spout so I can stand upright without having to lean over so much. I think that will make the unloading much easier and also less likely to spill.
Last year I found the 2.5 gallon cans sat right on the ski on their own which made life easier I didn't have to support any of the weight just get it up there and press the button
#exumas2016

gascanfill.JPG

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome thanks for the reply. I have not looked at an ultra up close yet. Maybe if the stars align and I make Bimini on the last weekend with everyone I can. Just thinking how to rig my FXHO for the crossing and thinking 10gal as worst case scenario. But also need to bring food or just eat at Bimini and bring dry snacks and a little cooler. I have a decent sized storage so I will figure it out.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome thanks for the reply. I have not looked at an ultra up close yet. Maybe if the stars align and I make Bimini on the last weekend with everyone I can. Just thinking how to rig my FXHO for the crossing and thinking 10gal as worst case scenario. But also need to bring food or just eat at Bimini and bring dry snacks and a little cooler. I have a decent sized storage so I will figure it out.
For just a Bimini run 5 gallons of fuel is more then enough. @Ramblin Wreck has a picture of his fxho set up for the exumas trip in the exumas thread. I would just bring snacks and eat at Bimini Sands it really isnt that expensive there $10-$15. I'm planing to eat just about every meal out once I get to Bimini this year.

#exumas2016

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No I'm not talking about your prostate issues, I'm talking about fixing the new gas can flow issues.

I've been working on which gas cans to carry on the up coming Exuma trip. I've settled on the 5 gallon Briggs & Stratton cans which I purchased at Walmart, the size fits perfect on my boat. The downside to the cans is the new smart flow nozzle that requires the nozzle to be pushed down to flow gas. Also, this nozzle, like most new nozzles, is self venting which works but doesn't flow gas as fast as having a separate vent.

To solve the nozzle push to flow feature, I found an old style nozzle at my local hardware store, they are also sold at many place on the internet. This kit includes a large straight flow nozzle and a separate old style vent. To install the old style vent all you do is drill a 1/2" hole in the can and push the vent body in.

After installing the new nozzle and vent on one of my cans, I test the flow of gas into my boat and what a tremendous time saver. There was no more gurgling of fuel, the flow was fast and continuous.

@robert843 , @JROD , @Ramblin Wreck , @1948Isaac if you want an old style vent for your cans, I have purchased 10 vents (I'm using 2 of the 10 for my other cans) the remain vents I will bring to Fort Lauderdale plus a drill and bit to modify your cans before we head out. We can modify the cans with or without fuel.
Thank you @Andy S, another great tip from you!
I am waiting for mine, purchased on Amazon based on @Russ C recommendations in another thread. But I was not sure how to install the vent, you just eased my mind.
http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Flo-Gas-Can-Spout-Kit/dp/B00DGVRXD2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once you try these...

http://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Square-Racing-Utility/dp/B00OJ7MCA6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1464976909&sr=8-12&keywords=vp+racing+fuel+jug

You won't go back....

They empty (all 5-6 gallons) in under a minute... (closer to 45 seconds I think) and I have yet to spill a drop with them. Never even the hit of a leak. Easy to carry. This is coming from a person who LOATHES all the new crappy, leaky and slow gas cans we are forced to use in the market now...
They also fit 5 wide in the back of a truck and within the space the 2x8 would go in the bed to lock them in place.

:)

have fun!