• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting a new BRP engine

LagoonaK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I own a 2016 165g with over 100 hours on it. Was out in late June, all was running great, heard a loud noise and I immediately shut the engine off thinking I sucked up a rope or something. The grate and impeller were clear. The engine would not even attempt to turn over. Got a tow back. Dealer said the piston hit a sparkplug and it was determined to be a catastrophic engine failure. BRP shipped brand new engine. It should be done any day. The delay was that they first shipped a 250hp engine. mine is 150. I said to the dealer And you told them!. He said it wouldn't of fit. That would of been sweet. It's been out of the water for 2 prime months but I think it's worth it for a new engine. I'll have to go through the break in period again.
I'm a little nervous that everything is put back together properly. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for? - Thanks.

LagoonaK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup that's what they told me. I was hoping it would be done today but no call from them.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup that's what they told me. I was hoping it would be done today but no call from them.
That really sucks...and missing out on boating for 2 months sucks more. Sorry to hear that. And I think the person you spoke with just misinterpreted the mechanics' explanation. @bronze_10 is correct in his query - Pistons can't hit sparkplugs, it's impossible unless the engine threw a rod or the sparkplug head snapped off and fell into the cylinder. Even if a rod was thrown, chances are it would hit a valve first 2 out of 3 times. I'm going to suggest it was a valve-train failure, possibly a broken spring causing a valve to hang open and hit a piston. Weird that it took 100+ hours to get there too, failures like that are usually during break in...

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2 months is a very long time for the shop to have your boat. I have done several long blocks under warranty and it has never taken longer than 3 days to get the new long block from BRP. If they sent the wrong block they would have sent the correct one out next day air. I have one I'm working on now and I contacted BRP on Thursday and had the new engine on Monday. They did forget to send some gaskets but next day aired them to me.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had a main bearing failure... Is your boat supercharged?