• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

getting an ar230 have a few questions

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to the forum but not to boating and have a few ar230 specific questions. I have always had outboards, and they have always been older boats/motors.

Details on the boat:
2007 AR230
My brother bought it new in 2007, and since then it has spent most of its time sitting. The last time anything was done to it was Aug 2012. It was flushed and has sat since then, uncovered with the drain plug removed. I know I will need to drain the fuel, give it a good washing and probably replace the cushions and vinyl across the whole boat. What I am unsure of is how to go about firing the engines for the first time. What should I look at/for after new fuel but prior to turning over?
There is some hull damage (that is why it is sitting) but I have a very good shop lined up for the repair.
Any insight or things I should be aware of is greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off, Welcome to the site. You'll get lots of good advice I'm sure.
When you get a moment add a few details to your profile and you'll get fewer questions..like; where do you boat? When you say it was flushed, with what and why? - So if your location was on the coast it might be assumed that the boat was in salt water and flushed with Salt-Away. See what I mean?

In your shoes I would change the oil, inspect the plugs, but probably replace them. Check the battery condition and charge or replace as necessary. If it hasn't been touched or charged for 3 years, figure on a new one. Lube everything with a zirk fitting (boat and trailer) lube all the cables and anything that turns, swivels, pulls or pushes.
Inspect the air filters and the intakes. Wipe intakes with a rag to see if they are clean or oily. Fog the cylinders lightly through both the spark plug holes and intakes.
Read and understand the procedure for firing up the engines on the hose - if that's your plan.

Depending on how much fuel is in there I might consider testing it and if it's non-ethanol fuel it could be salvageable, consider adding a fuel restorer such as PRI-G. I've had a boat sit full for over two years and the PRI-G worked like a charm. Try some in a small motor first (lawn mower, etc.). You'll know pretty soon after firing up the engines if the fuel will cut it or not.

Was the boat sitting uncovered? Why replace cushions, is the vinyl beyond cleaning? Reupholstery can be kinda expensive and replace cushions entirely is even more expensive.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.:cool:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you shouldn't have any issues, these are tough engines,

along with Glassman, since I had most of this typed anyways,

I would
pout a bunch of seafoam in the gas tank and maybe top it off,
check the oil and probably change it and the filter just to be safe,
also change the spark plugs just to know were your starting from (be careful of #3 it can some times get seized so be sure to have an even grip on it and don't muscle it)
put it on the hose and start it up, remember to start the engine, then turn on the hose, turn off the hose then turn off the engine, you should never have water going to engine if the engine is not on.

update your profile with your location so we know where you are, somebody close by might have a YDS to read your engine hours and any fault codes they may have had,

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off, Welcome to the site. You'll get lots of good advice I'm sure.
When you get a moment add a few details to your profile and you'll get fewer questions..like; where do you boat? When you say it was flushed, with what and why? - So if your location was on the coast it might be assumed that the boat was in salt water and flushed with Salt-Away. See what I mean?

In your shoes I would change the oil, inspect the plugs, but probably replace them. Check the battery condition and charge or replace as necessary. If it hasn't been touched or charged for 3 years, figure on a new one. Lube everything with a zirk fitting (boat and trailer) lube all the cables and anything that turns, swivels, pulls or pushes.
Inspect the air filters and the intakes. Wipe intakes with a rag to see if they are clean or oily. Fog the cylinders lightly through both the spark plug holes and intakes.
Read and understand the procedure for firing up the engines on the hose - if that's your plan.

Depending on how much fuel is in there I might consider testing it and if it's non-ethanol fuel it could be salvageable, consider adding a fuel restorer such as PRI-G. I've had a boat sit full for over two years and the PRI-G worked like a charm. Try some in a small motor first (lawn mower, etc.). You'll know pretty soon after firing up the engines if the fuel will cut it or not.

Was the boat sitting uncovered? Why replace cushions, is the vinyl beyond cleaning? Reupholstery can be kinda expensive and replace cushions entirely is even more expensive.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.:cool:
I will update my profile right after this.
It was flushed with water, we were in a freshwater lake last time we used it. He flushed it just to make sure it was cleaned out as far as I know.
I will test the fuel prior to draining it as im sure it will be a pita to drain it all out.
I plan on changing the filters, fluids, and plugs as needed. I will also check the other things as mentioned.
The boat sat uncovered, well its still sitting there uncovered, and I am sure that the vinyl is well weathered and probably in need of being replaced. It is actually in VA right now. I figure it will be a good winter project to get it ready for next summer since the hull repair will probably take them a month or so to get that fixed.

thanks for the quick response.

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you shouldn't have any issues, these are tough engines,

along with Glassman, since I had most of this typed anyways,

I would
pout a bunch of seafoam in the gas tank and maybe top it off,
check the oil and probably change it and the filter just to be safe,
also change the spark plugs just to know were your starting from (be careful of #3 it can some times get seized so be sure to have an even grip on it and don't muscle it)
put it on the hose and start it up, remember to start the engine, then turn on the hose, turn off the hose then turn off the engine, you should never have water going to engine if the engine is not on.

update your profile with your location so we know where you are, somebody close by might have a YDS to read your engine hours and any fault codes they may have had,

Thanks, I will try these things as well

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the board. If you have a chance to post some pictures of the hull damage and seat cushions I'm sure someone here can give you an idea of the best way to go about getting the issues fixed.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @muszallkr and good luck with the project. I just recently drained my tank due to bad fuel and here's a link to that thread. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cleaning-out-my-fuel-tank-has-anybody-done-this-yet.4492/#post-76643 It was pretty straight forward. There was a few tricky fuel line connections at the fuel pumps. No special tools required, but some delicate plastic parts that you'll want to be aware of if you have to pull the fuel pumps. On second thought, it would be much easier to remove the fuel gauge sending unit and drain the tank from there.

Anyway, good luck with the project. Keep us up to date with your progress.

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the board. If you have a chance to post some pictures of the hull damage and seat cushions I'm sure someone here can give you an idea of the best way to go about getting the issues fixed.
Im going to try to drive up tonight and get it. I will post pics as soon as I have it here at the house and up on the lift to check it out.

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @muszallkr and good luck with the project. I just recently drained my tank due to bad fuel and here's a link to that thread. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cleaning-out-my-fuel-tank-has-anybody-done-this-yet.4492/#post-76643 It was pretty straight forward. There was a few tricky fuel line connections at the fuel pumps. No special tools required, but some delicate plastic parts that you'll want to be aware of if you have to pull the fuel pumps. On second thought, it would be much easier to remove the fuel gauge sending unit and drain the tank from there.

Anyway, good luck with the project. Keep us up to date with your progress.
Thanks, I will keep yall informed and probably ask another 300 questions along the way.

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got the boat here to the house and scrubbed it down. Where can i get the fitting to run water through it to fire it up

Attachments

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also need some advice on how to make the orange paint not so dull anymore

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless I missed it, how much is he selling it for? Armed with that, then we can talk about all the other stuff. If he is out of the ball park for starters, then we need to know that.

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got it for 3k$, he lost interest and travels 60 days out 10 days home for work.

muszallkr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ill get pics of the hull damage tomorrow. It has a shadetree repair done and will need to be cut out and redone so it will definetly be going to a professional.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Damn. That's sad to see, but if you can get her running you'll have great sweat equity in it. Vinyl looks to be toast.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally got the boat here to the house and scrubbed it down. Where can i get the fitting to run water through it to fire it up
There are two types of flush fitting, a short one and a long one, both fit the factory flush connectors. Just google either part number and you will find numerous places to purchase either.

Short fitting 67X-E2590-00

Long Fitting MWV-FLUSH-HS-BL (blue hose) or RD (red hose)