• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting tow hitch receiver installed tomorrow

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2004 Lexus GX470 ... we bought it without the tow package. In preparation for the arrival of my AR195 we're taking it to the dealer to get the tow hitch receiver installed. Anything else I need to request from the dealer?

I'm still not so certain on whether the dealer installs the 7-way (or is 7-pin) trailer connector. I will ask the dealer about it but again, would love any input that I should relay to the dealer.

From reading other threads I just learned about the issue of matching the height of the ball hitch to the trailer ... I'm presuming I do that on my own when I purchase the 2" ball hitch.

Alex Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing much to ask from them except to ensure your putting on a capable hitch for the capacity. The leveling of trailer will come when purchasing the ball and what "drop" you purchase.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The stock connector is a 7 pin round I think but you may only need a 4 or 5 pin flat connector, 4 if the trailer does not have trailer brakes (the 5th is for the reverse lockout of the surge brakes I think).

If the dealer installs the connector with wiring harness expect to pay over $300. If they don't you can get a 4 or 5 pin kit just about anywhere (Walmart, pepboys, etc.) for under $20, easy to install by yourself. The ball itself is under $15 with the tongue around $35. I recommend that you get the lock kit which includes a lock for the receiver tongue and one for the hitch mechanism for another $30 or so.

Congrats, you must be excited.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
195 trailers do have breaks, I think, so most likely the 5-pin converter. I think you guys are optimistic on dealer prices (it's a Lexus...), and it may require some software upgrades. Albeit no way it will be as bad as my Audi Q7 TDI - where the factory hitch receiver/harness re-install set me back 2k!
(It was ridiculous, but I got screwed because I did not listened to @veedubtek, lol)

Anyhow - congrats and enjoy! As far as the ball height and the receiver, I would stress two things: 1. even with a single axle trailer I would keep it as totally perfectly leveled as possible; 2. I would chose a receiver with the shortest possible length (the shorter the distance between the ball/trailer coupler to the rear axle of the tow vehicle the less weight on the rear suspension - and consequently less sagging, sway, etc.).

--

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear you on that ... this is costing me $800. I appreciate the guidance. Very excited ... my 2 sons sweep out our 3rd garage bay EVERY DAY to keep it clean for the boat. Lol.

I think you guys are optimistic on dealer prices (it's a Lexus...), and it may require some software upgrades. Albeit no way it will be as bad as my Audi Q7 TDI - where the factory hitch receiver/harness re-install set me back 2k!--

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
They make plug and play plug systems for pretty much all vehicles. For 800.00 it better come with the 7way plug and the you just need the 7 to 5 adapter . I'll do a pulling contest against you guys any time[flag]2012 Ram 3500 4X4 upgraded just a little:devilhorns::winkingthumbsup".

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For $800 i think you should be getting "the full meal deal/super deluxe package". That is class 3, 4 or 5 hitch, 7 pin plug and harness along with a stand alone 4 or 5 pin connector and transmission cooler. Most Hitches are under $200 and can be installed by the end user (4 to 6 bolts directly into predrilled holes on the frame/chassis) in less than an hour another hour max for the wiring (simple 4 or 5 pin kits just require splicing of the leads to one of the tail lights). Given your tow vehicle and the size/weight of the boat you are getting you probably dont need a transmission cooler but for $800 in all i think it should be included (assuming the dealer is not charging $200 per hour for 3 hours of labor) on this job.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wifey picked the truck up and it's now at home. I'm about to leave work and check it out. I never expect good value from the "stealership" !

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I hear you on that ... this is costing me $800. I appreciate the guidance. Very excited ... my 2 sons sweep out our 3rd garage bay EVERY DAY to keep it clean for the boat. Lol.
Yeah Toyota's and Lexus's are not plug in play as they normally have to run stuff all the way up to the battery for some reason. At least that's how our old Rav4's were.