• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Glastron GTS 207 an entry boat really?!?!?!?

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
As I'm sure everyone here has done the same, I've built/priced out every possible boat/combo out there and have become confused as a result. So much so that I had seriously considered a Chaparral/Scarab very recently. I keep hearing that Glastron is an entry level boat or a first time boat buyers choice but, can someone please explain how that is? With the recent Scarab fiasco I'm solidly back in the Glastron camp.
I've read about how Glastron fit/finish is spotty, how Chaparral's attention to detail is superior, how Scarab is high-end but, I've found several posts on loose screws, seats, etc... not mention potential for catastrophic failure. Aren't these things built side by side too?
I am enamored by the retro styling of the Glastron and love the dash and retro pull switches and overall look of the thing.
In looking at the other manufactures I've become aware of the advanced technology packages, swim platform radios, touchscreens etc... Honestly, they do nothing for me. They all price out within a few hundred dollars of each other in MSRP, so what is it that sets them apart? In my opinion the GTS 207 is flat out gorgeous and appears well appointed in a purists sense, which I am. And go...

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never looked at glastron... I knew I wanted a yammie and I found what I wanted.. but i have always heard bayliners were the entry level boat.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm partial to used boats as normally the news boat Gremlins are already worked out and any repairs needed are completed more timely.

This seems a chevy,buick,honda style of comparison, where the perception is baked on the brand, but the pricing does not support the value proposition in some cases.

Go check out the boat, feel the fit and finish. Make sure you are happy with power plant performance (looking at 200 or 250?) And if it fits the bill, go for it.

Because new warranty is so spotty on boats, and because they depreciate so quickly, buying used is generally a great deal. Compare savings and consider the timelines of repairs if needed. So you need to dump 2k on your used boat in 24 months (pretend you had some bad luck) your are still looking at great savings and much faster turn around time on service on a boat with no warranty, unless you happen to be the lucky 0.1% with a great dealer near by.

I refuse to play that game, and work on them myself.

If there is something i can't handle, i can pay a shop to do it quick, and still come out generally ahead ( so far anyway)

You can get an older sx230 for 70% of the msrp on the glastron, for example. Other older seadoos may also fit the bill.

Best of luck with your decision. Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the style style of glastrons. I own one... the quality is good. So When I heard about the jet models I got excited. Asked for info, and got nothing, dealer knew nothing. then I saw one of their entry level boats at a boat show.... it looked really thrown together. finish quality was kind of poor. Rough edges, uneven glue.... I was unimpressed.

so we decided to keep saving and go for a Yamaha, our little boat works well for now, but its getting smaller :)

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Doesn't hurt anything to go test drive one!
It is true there may be some fit/finish details Glastron could work on but I haven't run into anything that is a concern to me. I was a first time buyer and wanted to buy new, so the price to me was great, handles well and runs great so far, huge gas tank at 49 gallons over the 187s smaller one, and more seating.
The only major upgrades I want to do, which are true for most boats are audio and trim tabs which are more needed for my lake which is super choppy

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Doesn't hurt anything to go test drive one!
It is true there may be some fit/finish details Glastron could work on but I haven't run into anything that is a concern to me. I was a first time buyer and wanted to buy new, so the price to me was great, handles well and runs great so far, huge gas tank at 49 gallons over the 187s smaller one, and more seating.
The only major upgrades I want to do, which are true for most boats are audio and trim tabs which are more needed for my lake which is super choppy

Couple things i should note, that my problem was mostly with the lack of knowledge, and newness of them, along with dealer uncertainty, and not the machine itself. Glastron had them advertised, and on their website, but any dealers I talked to werent familiar with them AT ALL. hadnt even heard. I suppose I was just overly excited. ANND we have a glastron dealer 1hr away, while the nearest yamaha(with boats) dealer is 4+. so I was sad when they were like "we dont know anything about jets" and lost confidence. Yamaha experience is YEARS of motorcycles and quads.

then at the boat show..it was their TINY cheap boat.... 165 i think. with an outboard. looked nice from 20 ft, but up close, you could tell it was the cheapie.

Iv'e still never seen a Glastron jet in person.

Phil A

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
We got our 187 jet this spring. It's our first boat. Glastron was considered the mid-level boat at the dealer we bought from (Bayliner and Crownline the other two). No complaints on usage, and we fell in love with the retro look. Nothing jumps out as a problem with the finishes, but definitely falls between the other two. As far as dealer knowledge, they pushed us toward the jet versus the others. And it handles so much better, imo, compared to my in-laws old Yamaha.

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. I am most likely going the used route but, the area dealer doesn't seem to ever have any or, really deal in jet boat sales. The GT and GTS that I had seen at the boat show were show stoppers and I spent a lot of time in them checking them out. From what I could tell they looked sharp, well built and polished. I'm leaning towards the 250 HP engine as well. I'm fine with a "mid-level: boat, I just don't want a rattle box or, an I told you so from the wife...

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I have a GTS 207. I love the look of my boat and the way it handles. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a scarab or a chap but its all in what you have to have. Once you learn how to drive these boats i dont really feel like you need to dock mode. Yes i am sure the wake mode would be a nice feature but for me i loved the look of the glastron and the price i couldn't pass up. I payed 30G out the door for my boat. Things i dont like about my boat and they are small is no built in cooler and i wish they had cabinets for storage under the driver and passenger sides and a built in anchor locker. I have almost 50hrs on mine with not a single problem and i know people that have 100hrs on theirs with no problems at all. If you can go for the 207 I would. Ipl also have a complete upgraded sound system and leds throughout the boat and underwater drain plug lights. Glastron 3.jpg Glastron 2.jpg Glastron 1.jpg

Terrance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
We are on our second season with a 2015 GT 187....150 HP. We really liked the retro design of the Glastron and the size of the boat , fit the family and the regular lake conditions that we would be boating in. We are also lucky to have an excellent Dealership, 1 hour away from our lake home. ""Iron Wind Marine"" https://ironwind.ca/.........We recommend the Glastron Product and the local dealership. These two variables go hand in hand.