• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Glove box fell out on ocean waves

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a stupid way to mount the glove box, I bounced on waves and all four snapped. Lol... I’ll be remounting with better glue but if that doesn’t hold I’ll drill through and have flat bolts with black caps if needed. The way these things are built in some areas is laughable. Thank god the motor is stout.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How big were the waves? Lol. Feel your pain, broke a snap on the engine cover cushion after only having my boat for 5 hours lol

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have had some twenty+ different parts wiggle, break loose, or just fall off on our virgin ocean trip with the brand new boat, lolol.
The good thing is, once you identify and properly fix all those QC failure spots, you good!

--

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How big were the waves? Lol. Feel your pain, broke a snap on the engine cover cushion after only having my boat for 5 hours lol
3-4 feet I guess lol... just found carpet screws ripped from the deck... gonna go seadek on that.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
What a stupid way to mount the glove box, I bounced on waves and all four snapped. Lol... I’ll be remounting with better glue but if that doesn’t hold I’ll drill through and have flat bolts with black caps if needed. The way these things are built in some areas is laughable. Thank god the motor is stout.
View attachment 92129
Couldn't agree more. Less than ten hours on the boat and the glove box has fallen out. Lake use only. I'm guessing nuts were loose were loose, found two on the floor the the vibration broke the seal. going to re-attach with 3M 5200 then will probably replace glove box all together in the off season. Saw another thread on the forum with a replacement box from www.boatoutfitters.com.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is always part of my preseason checklist. I go through EVERY nut bolt and screw and tighten them, including the rubrail on the exterior. You'd be surprised at how many are loose, not falling out loose just "motion of the ocean" loose. I typically do this on the high use hardware prior to each trip to ensure things don't come loose. I've found the bow speaker screws are the WORST!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For Bolts/nuts, please consider some blue loctite thread-locker, you should only have to re-tighten once. Thread-locker hopefully means it does not loosen again.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
For Bolts/nuts, please consider some blue loctite thread-locker, you should only have to re-tighten once. Thread-locker hopefully means it does not loosen again.
Yup.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love me little 242, but there are some questionable design choices to save money on these things.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait.....What? My glove box is completely glassed into the passenger console area. Are the 2019's not the same?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Wait.....What? My glove box is completely glassed into the passenger console area. Are the 2019's not the same?
2021 195s

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2019 is exactly like Maccam26 above. The epoxy from the screws came off and the glove box basiclly fell out. I tried to re-epoxy the screws but it broke again. I am looking into a heavier epoxy to either attach the box directly to the hull possible putting a bracket under it or using a fiberglass bonding product. Any suggestions?

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2019 is exactly like Maccam26 above. The epoxy from the screws came off and the glove box basiclly fell out. I tried to re-epoxy the screws but it broke again. I am looking into a heavier epoxy to either attach the box directly to the hull possible putting a bracket under it or using a fiberglass bonding product. Any suggestions?
I used JB Weld. it's never coming down again... :) removed all traces of epoxy from glove box and screws, then jb weld.

DrLaurie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used JB Weld. it's never coming down again... :) removed all traces of epoxy from glove box and screws, then jb weld.
Where did you put the JB Weld? Mine falls out from big waves on the bay and when I tried to open it, fixed several times with screws but never holds long, 1981 SX 190 Glaston

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where did you put the JB Weld? Mine falls out from big waves on the bay and when I tried to open it, fixed several times with screws but never holds long, 1981 SX 190 Glaston
My reference was probably more Yamaha based. On the Yamaha, they epoxied 4 screws to the plastic on the glove box and the epoxy gave way. I replaced the epoxy with jb weld, the nuts then secure the glove box but where the screws connect to glove box it is jb welded and won’t break loose.

DrLaurie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, my glovebox flys out on the right side. I like J&B weld, I’ll try it on the right side Thanks again, this has been a problem for years 420B6B7E-340D-478A-999D-82BFB985460C.jpeg8E5DB801-9E8F-495E-A235-810A88494744.jpeg

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
1 year with my Yamaha and very questionable build quality. If I wasn't someone handy and likes DIY I would be less than happy. With that said it gives me a chance to customize, upgrade and learn the boat as thing break/fall off so pretty happy.. lol.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, its held in by bolts.
I went through my entire boat last night tightening all the bolts because nearly every nut on the boat was loose.

I know Yamaha makes more "entry level" boats. Especially the smaller they get but its crazy they couldnt use a little blue locktite at least or nylon nuts at best.