• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Going on Vacation Engine Flush??

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Going on vacation to the Fl. Keys for 8 weeks and my new 210 FSH will be in salt water the whole time, is there any way of flushing the motors while the boat is in the water?

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
8 weeks is a long time to keep the boat in salt water. Even if you were to flush with the boat in the water, all jet compontens would be under water. I have done vacations in the keys and kept the boat in water for 3-4days at a time and then flush with salt-away afterwards. Some of the guys here have done week trips to Bimini.
You may have to pull in the boat to this maybe after a week or 2 to do a complete flush with saltaway or other product, just my 2 cents.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After a week marine growth will be a factor on the hull. you may have to take a blue sponge/cleaning pad to attack once a week so it does not stick super hard. At 8 weeks with no cleaning you will likely even have barnacles growing.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can flush the engines as you pull back into the slip via the water hose inlet with one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064N1FOW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tied to your flush hose and filled with Salt Away https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXVG9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Continue to run you engines until you see foam coming out the exhaust.

Salt Away insists it is not harmful to the environment. "Salt-away is water based, non-hazardous, biodegradable, and contains properties that attack and remove salt from any surface."

As others have mentioned, the next time I'm in saltwater, I'll take the boat out and rinse it daily, including 5 minutes per engine, rinsed jets, trailer and wheels, etc. But the above will help your engine.

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
8 weeks is a long time to keep the boat in salt water. Even if you were to flush with the boat in the water, all jet compontens would be under water. I have done vacations in the keys and kept the boat in water for 3-4days at a time and then flush with salt-away afterwards. Some of the guys here have done week trips to Bimini.
You may have to pull in the boat to this maybe after a week or 2 to do a complete flush with saltaway or other product, just my 2 cents.
If I flush with the boat in the water, am I not defeating the purpose since there will be salt water coming in the intake anyways?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could always clamp the intake line or do the shut-off valve mod.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Tow Valve.png Put one of these on each of your intake lines and close while flushing will not pump salt water through while flushing, just put one on my 190 and just got back from marathon today, kept boat in water for 6 days flushed every evening with this method

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
View attachment 74995 Put one of these on each of your intake lines and close while flushing will not pump salt water through while flushing, just put one on my 190 and just got back from marathon today, kept boat in water for 6 days flushed every evening with this method
Where can I buy these? Would you happen to have a picture of the end result. Thank you so much,

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where can I buy these? Would you happen to have a picture of the end result. Thank you so much,
Look up Wave Eater valve Yamaha 4-stroke on Ebay… That's where I got mine.. it is installed on intake hose under the cleanout tray under the exhaust piping.. in location where it is hard to photograph since I put the cleanout tray back after install. took 30 minutes to install.. now I just have to reach through the access cover below the exhaust to shut off the valve

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Island racing sells them too (their website sucks) - about half way down on the page I linked to

ISLAND RACING TOW VALVE KIT IR-TVK-58 $24.95

Our Tow Valves bodies are 450 PSI plated brass construction. Full flow inner diameter doesn't restrict cooling water. During towing situations or running on one engine, it's mandatory to shut off the inlet water hose of the downed engine to prevent damage. ( One per engine required )​

Don't forget the FAQ has tons of links to things like this! Tow valve installs is one for sure!

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you all for the awesome information, now I just have to decide which method is more suitable for my limited mechanical skills. I am definitely going to be installing a shutoff valve either under the intake plate or inside the engine compartment by the intake Y not sure which of the two, since we will be leaving next week and I have limited time and skills I think I am going to take the temporary solution with the vice hose pinch pliers and then make a permanent install when we get back in August. Just a quick question from all of you to make sure I am on the right track (this is my first jet pump boat), once I shut off or clamp off, the inflow from the intake stops and only the fresh water from the flush port/hose is what runs thru the engine correct?

Thank you all so much,

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
once I shut off or clamp off, the inflow from the intake stops and only the fresh water from the flush port/hose is what runs thru the engine correct?
Correct. The only way the boat intakes water for engine/exhaust cooling is via the intake grate in each pump. Some will naturally stand in the exhaust but doesn't flow in there.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If I was going to be in the water 8 weeks, I'd pull the boat after 2 weeks to see how bad the build up is getting and then repeat as desired. You don't want to be dealing with barnacles if you can avoid it. A good wax job in advance will help alot to. As well as protectant spray on the engines/pumps

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Attachments

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 75041
I used pvc pipe and plastic fittings. The Yamaha incoming hose is 5/8". I used 3/4" for the additional hose I added because I wanted to have adequate water flow for cooling the engines. With that I found hose to npt fittings made of plastic at U.S.Plastic Corp. Starting with a 5/8" hose to 3/4" npt thread. Tied that into a 3/4" to 3/4" female to female connector, out with a 3/4" npt to 3/4" hose to the pictured junction above and finally back to the Yamaha hose in reverse order. Make sense? Coarse not.
4 of these: https://www.usplastic.com/search/default.aspx?it=item&keyword=3/4" NPT x 5/8" Hose ID Black HDPE Adapter
8 of these: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=27806

With this system when I was in saltwater I would unscrew the filter container, fill it with Salt Away, and start the engine until I saw foam coming out the back of the boat. I did not close the valve, just stopped the engine before all the Salt Away was run out.
Did you write this up as its own thread? If not, would you? Would love to add this to the FAQ with any more pics you have!

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When I had the FSH I left it in the water for 2 weeks and I had small barnacles growing on the entire hull. DO NOT leave yours in the water for 8 weeks!

Jordonn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, had my 190 in the water for a week in Englewood. Took me 6 hours laying on my back scrubbing the hull after I got back. Id take it out weekly to a carwash and pressure wash the hull.

Any chance of finding a place with a lift?