• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Going to look at a 96 Xp and a 92 Xp Seadoo today, need thoughts

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Going to look at 2 seadoos today after work. They look decent from the pictures but I wanted to see if any of you guys had any experience with them or anything to look for specific. The guy told me that they have sat for a year but they did run before putting them away. I know I will have to drain the gas and put in fresh gas and possibly clean the carbs but overall I have heard these are dependable skis.

I will add that I am not trying to get into the BIG ski game just something to toy around on that I do not have a ton of money into.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I had a 95 xp and a 96 sp about ten years ago. The xp was awesome. Plenty of power in a tiny little two seater. It also had an adjustable trim which made for getting airborne pretty easy. I belive in 96 they started putting even bigger motors in the same xp hull.

I would make sure the trim system works and you got good compression on all cylinders.

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just sold two 97 XP's. neither were running when I got a hold of them, but after a few hours of work, both ran like scalded dogs. The machines are a blast with one person, very unstable with 2 people though. FWIW.

To check out on the 97 XP...

New Fuel Lines -These are a must as the old will corrode and mess up the carbs - Do it yourself for under $50 or so.
Sitting for a year - will need a new battery $75 or so
Dump the oil, and go get yourself some synthetic rotax or amsoil to run. will run/burn cleaner $30 or so
Fuel gauge may not work, both times on mine it was an easy fix when I pulled the sensor and soldered a new fuse in there.
Check the Beeps.. if it doesn't beep when you put the DES key in, the beeper might be broken (you'll want to replace this)
Jet Pump Liner - easy to replace, but if it hasn't been replaced lately add this to the list
Trim Motor - Commonly go bad due to leaks in the rear. If this is the case you can just disconnect or spend a lot of money to replace. I just set my trim in the middle manually and went about my business.
Container in the Front.. Hopefully it comes with it, if it does not use it to negotiate, they aren't cheap and aren't made anymore.

That's a long list, but the skii's are a blast. I put new fuel, plugs, cleaned the carbs, new oil and the maintenance above and the ski performed flawlessly for years. Good Luck!

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just looked up carb rebuilds which doesn't look horrible and I seen to just go ahead and replace all of the fuel and oil lines. Also replace the water separator and to check inside the tank for the older style pickups which can corrode off. I think these things will be a blast. I appreciate the suggestions!!

Just checked on ebay and the trim motors are around 80 bucks....not to bad. I will still be money ahead on these things I think.

Here is the listing

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/5677756063.html

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you can't water test them I recommend you get them for dirt cheap or walk away. I had several used 95 through 97 seadoos like you described. Great when the my ran but required a lot more to refurbish them and keep them running.

A compression check is good a test drive is better. Several of the skis I bought ran fine on the trailer but not on the water. Fuel issues are addressed with carb rebuilds (don't forget about the filter in each carb), fuel line replacement and replacement of the on-of fuel valve. If you need to rebuild the top end the parts are around $200. Hopefully the skis you are looking at wont have any issues but given their age and that they have not been ran in a while I expect that it will take some work to make them right.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you can't water test them I recommend you get them for dirt cheap or walk away. I had several used 95 through 97 seadoos like you described. Great when the my ran but required a lot more to refurbish them and keep them running.

A compression check is good a test drive is better. Several of the skis I bought ran fine on the trailer but not on the water. Fuel issues are addressed with carb rebuilds (don't forget about the filter in each carb), fuel line replacement and replacement of the on-of fuel valve. If you need to rebuild the top end the parts are around $200. Hopefully the skis you are looking at wont have any issues but given their age and that they have not been ran in a while I expect that it will take some work to make them right.
This is my specialty @Ronnie . I love getting stuff that doesn't run to run!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just sold two 97 XP's. neither were running when I got a hold of them, but after a few hours of work, both ran like scalded dogs. The machines are a blast with one person, very unstable with 2 people though. FWIW.

To check out on the 97 XP...

New Fuel Lines -These are a must as the old will corrode and mess up the carbs - Do it yourself for under $50 or so.
Sitting for a year - will need a new battery $75 or so
Dump the oil, and go get yourself some synthetic rotax or amsoil to run. will run/burn cleaner $30 or so
Fuel gauge may not work, both times on mine it was an easy fix when I pulled the sensor and soldered a new fuse in there.
Check the Beeps.. if it doesn't beep when you put the DES key in, the beeper might be broken (you'll want to replace this)
Jet Pump Liner - easy to replace, but if it hasn't been replaced lately add this to the list
Trim Motor - Commonly go bad due to leaks in the rear. If this is the case you can just disconnect or spend a lot of money to replace. I just set my trim in the middle manually and went about my business.
Container in the Front.. Hopefully it comes with it, if it does not use it to negotiate, they aren't cheap and aren't made anymore.

That's a long list, but the skii's are a blast. I put new fuel, plugs, cleaned the carbs, new oil and the maintenance above and the ski performed flawlessly for years. Good Luck!

So I ended up getting these, it was a 96 not and 97, but it has the same issues. The fuel level doesn't work so where is this fuse?

The VTS was unplugged when I looked at it, so when I got home I plugged it in and the electronic started smoking, I have a new box and new motor on the way.

Already purchased 2 carb rebuild kits, and buying tygon oil and fuel lines tonight, have a brand new battery, and have a new water/fuel separator on the way.

I hope to get this one running in a couple of weeks!

The other one needs a complete rebuild.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You probably need to change the impeller pump lube also. This is an annual item depending on usage. Pull the cone and stinky nasty oil will drain out. They are different then the yamaha, seafood has needle bearing vs ball bearings. Klotz makes a seafood pump specific oil I would recomend over the sea door oil.
@jcyamaharider

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You probably need to change the impeller pump lube also. This is an annual item depending on usage. Pull the cone and stinky nasty oil will drain out. They are different then the yamaha, seafood has needle bearing vs ball bearings. Klotz makes a seafood pump specific oil I would recomend over the sea door oil.
@jcyamaharider
Any specific place to buy or is it a mail order thing?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider
Probably a mail order item. Klotz has a website too. Also the orings were easy to slip out while assembling, so make sure you twist the cone a little while assembling so the cone and o-ring slide in nicely.

Sea-Doo oil was black. Klotz oil is red and I was told at the time by a jetski shop that if you have the oring wrong, or a seal leak, you will see the red oil trail in the water.

It drains out of the pump real slow, and when you go to fill you need wait for the air bubbles to escape the little hole on the cone and fills slowly.

I also use to change my plugs every few rides just to avoid problems.

Those old seadoo were a ball. To make a sharp left turn without spinning out, you would need to lean off the right side of the boat to make it turn flat.

We use to go on Lake Michigan and chase yacht wakes and jump them 12-15 feet in the air.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did all of the things suggested by everyone and the 96 ran great!!! What a complete blast to ride. Tons of power. Just a little 2 stroke load up issue when idling in no wake for a long time, but hey its a 2 stroke it wants to go fast all of the time!!