• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Good book reading

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm not much of a book reader but I do like true military stories.
I just finished "Unbroken", it amazes me what those guys went through and survived. the movie comes out Christmas Day.

One of my favorites is "Fearless" by Eric Blehm, about Adam Brown from Hot Springs, AR area. That book amazes me with the commitment some people have for others and what the human body can accomplish.

I'm currently reading Unbroken. Not my typical choice in books but it's amazing. I'm about halfway through. Didn't realize a movie was being made.

Yeah, I wanted to read it before I saw the movie.

So I'm not much of a book reader but I do like true military stories.
I just finished "Unbroken", it amazes me what those guys went through and survived. the movie comes out Christmas Day.

One of my favorites is "Fearless" by Eric Blehm, about Adam Brown from Hot Springs, AR area. That book amazes me with the commitment some people have for others and what the human body can accomplish.

Fearless might be 1 of the best I have read. Unbelievable commitment and sacrifice!

I just finished "Unbroken"....great read. Just amazing what POWs under the Japanese suffered. Craziest statistic was the # of deaths of POWs in Europe (under Germany) or Pacific (under Japan)....was something like 1% of those under German care vs 34% under Japanese "care". If that metric is included in the movie...wouldn't surprise me to see Japanese car sales drop!

Got a copy of " War Trash" from my son for Christmas. Think it was first published around 2005, was a Pulitzer Prize finalist and according to him is one of the best books he has ever read and he has read just about everything. It is described as follows:

Casts a searchlight into a forgotten corner of modern history, the experience of Chinese soldiers held in U.S. POW camps during the Korean War. In 1951 Yu Yuan, a scholarly and self-effacing clerical officer in Mao’s “volunteer” army, is taken prisoner south of the 38th Parallel. Because he speaks English, he soon becomes an intermediary between his compatriots and their American captors.With Yuan as guide, we are ushered into the secret world behind the barbed wire, a world where kindness alternates with blinding cruelty and one has infinitely more to fear from one’s fellow prisoners than from the guards. Vivid in its historical detail, profound in its imaginative empathy

I recommend We Were Soldiers Once and Young, Band of Brothers (and anything else by Ambrose), Andersonville by Robert Vaugn, Flags of Our Fathers and Flyboys by James Bradley, but please read reviews and understand what Flyboys is really about before starting the book.

Speaking of Adam Brown, Emma (2nd grader) wrote this at school after attending the unveiling ceremony for Adam's statue.

"Yesterday there was a statue revealed of a very brave Navy SEAL named Adam Brown that saved his team but killed himself doing it. He was brave enough to get in the line of fire blocking his team from the gunshot. At the ceremony for Adam a black hawk with two of his team mates in it and they roped down from the helicopter onto the ground and then there was a countdown 5,4,3,2,10 bam there was a gunshot and the cover was taken off the statue. The end."

EmmaAdamBrownStory.png

@Bruce you want to jump off the bridge with me next time I come home?:-)

@Bruce you want to jump off the bridge with me next time I come home?:)

In 2013 we were boating under the bridge when 20 or so guys jumped off of the opposite side right in front of us. Fortunately it is a 5 MPH zone since we had to stop to avoid hitting them!

I wondered if that happened often, I'm sure people jump and don't pay a bit of attention if a boat is coming or not.

I'm with you on true stories. I'm a BlackHawk Down nut. I've got the book, the move, documentary.....Coolest thing is I got to meet Todd Blackburn. He's the guy that fell out of the BlackHawk and survived. At the time I met him, he was a Pensacola Police Officer and lives in Santa Rosa County. He's since gone back into the military (maybe as a private contractor though). He's a cool dude. Took the time to talk to me about it all.

And I'm currently reading Lone Survivor. Great book as well.

I'm with you on true stories. I'm a BlackHawk Down nut. I've got the book, the move, documentary.....Coolest thing is I got to meet Todd Blackburn. He's the guy that fell out of the BlackHawk and survived. At the time I met him, he was a Pensacola Police Officer and lives in Santa Rosa County. He's since gone back into the military (maybe as a private contractor though). He's a cool dude. Took the time to talk to me about it all.

And I'm currently reading Lone Survivor. Great book as well.

Lone Survivor is riveting. I think I read it in about a day and half. Amazing what the right people can in bad situations.

Note: Edited to correct a misspelling.

Last edited:
Speaking of Fearless and Adam Brown. If you read the book or did any research, you will know this but if not, most of Adams team was lost in a Chinook helicopter that was shot down. Heartbreaking to hear about all the families affected. Those guys lost a great man in Adam Brown and then lost their own lives.

Lone Survivor was a great read as well as movie. The stunts were incredible in that movie and if they were even close to real life I am not sure how they survived the falls.

American Sniper was another good read and looking forward to the movie. Another heartbreaking loss.

I read American Sniper a couple of months ago. It was a great book. I am looking forward to seeing the movie!

I read American Sniper a couple of months ago. It was a great book. I am looking forward to seeing the movie!

Just bought this for my Kindle - it was on sale for $2.50.

I'm looking forward to starting it after I finish the "Divergent" series. (Pulp, but I want to know exactly what my kids are reading so I read a lot of the stuff they read.)

Back