• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Good starter tube?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are looking to get our first tube. We typically boat with adults, I've ben leaning towards the 2 person tubes as it seems like a 2 person tube is "2 kids or 1 adult". I wouldnt mind being able to fit 2 adults on the tube. Girlfriend has expressed preferring the round tubes.

This is going to be our first tube, and dont want to go really crazy on it. Something around 100 bucks is fine, was looking at a few on amazon that were around 65 to 85, a few 2 or 3 person ones closer to 120. Kinda seems like h20, wow, airhead, and a few others are all the same but with different names and graphics?

So I'm looking for suggestions based on all I've said. I see talk of booster balls, do o want one of those too? People usually ride with sunglasses on due to contacts.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Costco has a 3 person tube every spring for a good price. Comes with electric pump and rope

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go big mable. Great for all ages. I have a ton of tubes but that seems to be everyone’s favorite.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We dont jave a Costco here sadly, but do have a Sam's. I will have to check out the big mable.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Big Mable's are great but won't be found in your price range. We had one for years and then moved up to the Super Mable.IMG_0668.JPGIMG_2987.JPGIMG_2990.JPG

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im thinking about getting a "frequent flyer", its a pretty simple 3 person disc tube. Seems like a good option at 90 bucks.

Do i need a y harness? Or are those more for outboards without the metal fitting in the center of the boat? Am i just supposed to place the loop on that littld hok ajd thsn im good to go?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Keep your eye out on garage sales too. My wife picked up 2 at a yard sale last year for like 5 or 10 each. a little faded but thats it and they hold air. Didn't get a chance to try them out due to the weather, but will hopefully be using them in about a month and a half. I also found a Big Mable used - like new on Amazon for $54 (normal price 200-250). You just need to check on there every once in a while.

1550816506666.png

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We use a standard tubing rope. I think they are 65 feet.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 single tubes is fun too. My kids love it when they crash into each other20180818_205241.jpg

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Bought the 3 person "HO" tube from Costco about 4 years ago, on the final time out last year the attachment point ripped. I called the manufacturer just to see if they offer a repair kit. They did not, advised me to take it back to Costco. I called my Costco told them it was 4 yrs old and just wanted to see if they still had any in stock. They didn't, in that model, they had the new model. They told me to bring it in for the new one and just pay the difference. So, I did. The difference was $1.00... Man I love Costco. All set, ready to dole out the punishment this coming summer. IMG_6613.JPG

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The "cool" dad again proves to be the idiot. At that speed and height, water becomes concrete, he might as well have jumped off a building.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a warehouse deals tube, sadly it turns out it's got a leak in the bladder, so it's going back.

At Sam's today they had a 3 person couch style for 180 bucks. It has tow points front and back. The gf thinks that wouldnt be as fun as the flat ones, and it looks like it takes up a lot more space. It was a little more than we wanted to spend for a starter tube, but ther versatility would be nice (some of our friends have kids, tough kids, but still could see them liking the sit back style. Also some of our friends are athletically challenged... theyd appreciate it too I think).

What's the pros and cons to the couch style vs a round disc? Other than the obvious of being able to use it 2 ways?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought a warehouse deals tube, sadly it turns out it's got a leak in the bladder, so it's going back.

At Sam's today they had a 3 person couch style for 180 bucks. It has tow points front and back. The gf thinks that wouldnt be as fun as the flat ones, and it looks like it takes up a lot more space. It was a little more than we wanted to spend for a starter tube, but ther versatility would be nice (some of our friends have kids, tough kids, but still could see them liking the sit back style. Also some of our friends are athletically challenged... theyd appreciate it too I think).

What's the pros and cons to the couch style vs a round disc? Other than the obvious of being able to use it 2 ways?
Definitely harder to whip. The pic on my avatar is one of those. It takes a lot of effort to swing it around, and has hardly ever felt unsafe. Only knocked 2 people off... 1 was my 4 year old that occured when we hit a wake with another adult on the tube, resulting in a trampoline effect that launched my son right off the tube. The other was me when the boat came off plane and drug the tube so slow that I actually flipped over backwards... due to too much weight leaning against the backrest.

So... perfect for athletically challenged and young riders. But, for the more experienced riders (teens+), the round discs are probably more fun (if they like to test how long they can hold on), IMO.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With the couch style and a little practice it’s easy for the captain make the tube submarine. The look on your BILs face when he realizes he’s going to lose a bet and get dumped in the lake is priceless. That you can do it slowly and control how long until the tube goes completely under and flips just adds to sense of impending doom for the rider.

Great fun all around!!!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you keep the big mable from submarining when towing backwards. Kids wanted to try it backwards and I couldn't even get them going without it immediately swamping. Was I underinflated? Do I need to just tow from the tower?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How do you keep the big mable from submarining when towing backwards. Kids wanted to try it backwards and I couldn't even get them going without it immediately swamping. Was I underinflated? Do I need to just tow from the tower?
You have to really pop the throttle at first to ensure the tube pop's up on top of the water. I have the same issue with my tube even when I pull from the tower, so let them know I have to throttle down at the start so they are not caught off guard.