• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GoPro Settings

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I am starting to figure out how my GoPro works. Only Issue I have right now is that when my video resolution is set to 1080, it only says I can have a little over an hour of video recording time. Does this seem accurate considering my micro SD card is 16gigs. The guy at the store stated that 16gigs should get me at least 5 hours of recording time at the 1080 setting? So either he is wrong or I need to adjust something. Thanks PS I have the GoPro HERO 3+ Black Edition

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Straight from the GoPro website. What type of SD card do you have. It looks like the SDHC Card lines up close to what your getting

Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for an HD HERO2 camera with a 32GB SD card:

• 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m
  • 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m
  • 720p (60 fps): 4h 21
  • 720p (30 fps): 8h 09m
  • WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m
Reduce the record times to half for a 16GB SDHC memory cards.

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 64gb card and use 720 60fps. I found the 720 footage to be as good as the 1080. Cam.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Larger cards can be purchased inexpensively. I found some 64 GB Micro SDHC cards for $30 each last week. Keep an eye on http://techbargains.com for deals.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind to get only Class 10 cards! Otherwise the capture rate wont work at the higher resolutions.......

GoPro has a list of approved cards, and I wouldnt stray from that.... Lost some good underwater footage in Hawaii with a class 10 unapproved card......

<<
HERO3: Black Edition & HERO3+ Black Edition Cameras

• A Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required.
Not all Class 10 microSD cards have the same data write speeds. If you plan to shoot in 4k, 2.7k, or Protune video modes with your HERO3: Black Edition or HERO3+ Black Edition camera, we recommend using one of the following microSD cards for the best performance:

• SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQXL-032G)
  • SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQXL-064G)
  • Lexar 32GB SDHC 633x (LSDMI32GBBNL633R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 633x (LSDMI64GBBNL633R)
  • Lexar 32GB SDHC 600x (LSDMI32GBSBNA600R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 600x (LSDMI64GBSBNA600R)
  • Delkin 32GB SDHC (DDMICROSDPRO2-32GB)
  • Delkin 64GB SDXC (DDMICROSDPRO264GB)
With the camera software update released July 29, 2013, using other microSD cards with your HERO3: Black Edition camera while shooting in 4K, 2.7K and Protune video modes may result in a reduction of the data stream rate from 45Mb/sec to 35Mb/sec.

For HERO3 Silver and White Editions, any class 10 microSD cards can be used, including SanDisk Ultra and Lexar. >>

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I stick with Lexar as they have the best guarantee.....swap out with no questions asked...

Backwash

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Editing is a pain at 1080 if dont have a very powerful computer. Started filming at 720 and looks just as good to me.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind to get only Class 10 cards! Otherwise the capture rate wont work at the higher resolutions.......

GoPro has a list of approved cards, and I wouldnt stray from that.... Lost some good underwater footage in Hawaii with a class 10 unapproved card......

I just wanted to make sure that this didn't get lost in the rest of the post. From everything that I have read it is VERY important to have the right type of card.

There are TONS of cheapy high GB cards, but not all cards are the same.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Keep your eyes peeled. I posted this in the other GoPro thread, but this card went on sale recently for $49...

A total STEAL!!!

SanDisk 64GB

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I just wanted to make sure that this didn't get lost in the rest of the post. From everything that I have read it is VERY important to have the right type of card.

There are TONS of cheapy high GB cards, but not all cards are the same.
I have one of these cheapo cards. It works great except for when you put the GoPro into any type of action. ie, sledding with my son and the camera bouncing around while attached to the wake tower. Both of these times the video was corrupted and could not be recovered. I purchased the sugested card above and hope this does the trick; however, while researching this issue on the GoPro forums it also mentioned this below:

Gopro is very particular about its relationship with its SD card.
1. don't use the gopro SD card in any other device
2. dont' delete files off the SD card with a PC......put the SD card back into the Gopro in exactly the same format as when you took it out.
3. always "delete all" as the first thing you do when you re insert the SD card into Gopro. As long as the card stays in Gopro you can switch off and on etc as many times as you like. If you remove the card...that is the end of the session.....when you put the card back in use "delete all".
4. don't connect Gopro to a PC....remove the SD card and use a card reader.

I suggest you bin the card you have which is likely corrupted for Gopro purposes now. Start with a clean card and follow the advice above. If you still have problems you may well have corrupted your firmware so you will need to reflash.

Do any of you GoPro users follow the "delete all" method they are referencing?

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I do. It's essentially a format of the card.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Hopefully one or the other corrects my issue. The two times I have used my GoPro for something I actually wanted footage of, both times everything was corrupted! Would have loved to see all the footage from our first time out yesterday! Oh well, at least I got the few shots from inside our garage prior to the trip :banghead: .

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully one or the other corrects my issue. The two times I have used my GoPro for something I actually wanted footage of, both times everything was corrupted! Would have loved to see all the footage from our first time out yesterday! Oh well, at least I got the few shots from inside our garage prior to the trip :banghead: .

That sucks!

I used a 32gig ScanDisc extreme when we went out on Saturday. It captured everything perfectly, and we took some good poundings through white caps for a pretty long period. Now my biggest issue is that our computer is too small to handle all of the memory. There isn't enough space to download and convert the whole 3 hour trip. The thing that I like about long recordings is that GoPro automatically breaks them in to 19 and a half minute videos so if you are looking for one specific thing, it makes it easy to find.

As far as the delete all, I have used it, but only when I was done with those videos. I have left videos on the sd card and went back to record more without any issues.

Hopefully the new card will get you back on track. Let us know how it turns out.... Maybe we need a thread for just our GoPro videos! Actually at this rate we could probably use a GoPro forum :)

Here is a short video from our trip out on Saturday where my hat flew off. Luckily it was before the wind kicked up and the water got super choppy or the hat probably would have been gone forever. I used the GoPro editing software for all of it, and was happy with how easy it was to use. I only wish I could somehow photoshop hair onto my bald head :eek:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Volffas thats funny you mention starting a GoPro thread... I was all set to edit the footage from yesterday, make a cool 3 min short of our trip and use the video as the first post in a thread called GoPro Shorts or something like that. Instead... I am searching forums trying to figure out how to recover the corupted files!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good, I'll look forward to your thread. :winkingthumbsup"

Hopefully you can figure out how to recover the files.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok.....so I just ordered our first Go Pro. I got the Hero 3+ Black and have a few questions. Obviously after reading this thread, I need to pay attention to the SD card that I get. What mounts are some of you using. What little bit of looking that I have done, seems like there are tons of mounting options. @Volffas .....where on the tower is yours in this video and what settings? Any info or tips you have to help me get started would really help.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was using the GoPro "roll bar mount" on the bottom of our tower.

I was using the settings that the camera was on when I got it out of the box. Video resolution 960, frame rate 60 FPS, field of view Wide. And since I had it hanging upside down from the tower I turned on the upside down option. All of those settings are easily controlled from the GoPro app on my iphone. (picture #2) You can even watch the video you took immediately after you take it, and preview your video while you are shooting it all from your phone. (picture #3) Basically you can control every part of the camera from your smart phone. Without a smart phone you would have to buy what is called the GoPro LCD backpack.

As far as mounts, they make one for pretty much anything you would ever need and some things that you would never dream of. I have a suction cup, head strap, roll bar mount, handle bar mount, and several other adapters. If you plan on using it in the water you will need what they call the floaty back door. Basically it is a float that you stick on the back of your waterproof camera box. I would also strongly suggest the Wasabi Power dual batteries and charger. They have great reviews and you really need more than one battery since they only last 2 hours at most. Here is the battery pack that I got. It has a car charger and a wall charger.

I know that several guys like @GiddYupJoe love dx.com for the accessories, and I'm not knocking dx, but I bought all of mine from amazon.com. Primarily because I didn't know that dx.com existed. But my only suggestion is to try and buy only genuine GoPro accessories because they just seem so much better than the Chinese knock offs. I got some mounts from amazon that were not true GoPro and you can easily pick out what is real and what is a knock off. And be careful of some sites offering really cheap prices, sometimes the shipping can take weeks and weeks. When I bought on Amazon I would look through all available sellers and pick ones that were in the US. They were usually just a couple of cents more expensive but I got the product in days, not weeks.

There are a lot of guys on here with a whole lot more experience using these things than I have. So if anyone sees that I said anything wrong please correct me.

gopro on boat.jpg

screenshot.PNG

screenshot 2.PNG