• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got a new towing rig! ...and mods to 1500 Ram

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After months of sitting on the fence and endless test drives, fact checking and internet searches.........I got a new truck!!

I started my search months ago with being intrigued by the Eco Diesel engine in the Ram. After calculating the increased cost of fuel and engine I decided that it wouldn't pay to own one for the driving that I do. I still think it's a cool motor. I got to drive a 2015 Ram Laramie Limited with one. OMG. I hope to post some photos of that beast! The sticker was $59,000, thank God I had a budget to stick to.

I test drove the F150 but wasn't in love with the 2014 style not to mention I have some deep mental deficiency that detests the sound of Ford starters. They have some neat features like the tailgate step and swing out boxes. After visiting 2 Ford dealers I noticed a common denominator; they were loaded to the gills with 2014 models. They mostly have the Lariets and King Ranch models. This struck me as bad considering I had a hard time finding an upper tier 2014 model in Toyota and Ram. I did get the chance to climb in the 2015 F150. It was unlocked and the dealer was closed so no test drive but a nice looking truck.

On to Toyota! I have never riden in a Tundra so I had to check them out before they got ruled out. There was only 2 2015's to look at, one being my focus of attention; the 1794. What an impressive truck! Every option known to man is in this truck. I really liked the blind spot warning system on the mirrors and rear bumper cross traffic sensors. The drivers seat felt flat/hard and slightly uncomfortable, it wasn't the typical bucket seat feel that I'm accustomed to. The exhaust is deep and throaty which is cool but I heard it too much inside the cabin. Overall, I was impressed by the Tundra Crewmax 1794 and made plans to visit another Toyota dealership that had the Tundra Crewmax Platinum which is more urban/contemporary styled versus the 1794's country feel. These plans were set in case my Ram search failed.

Needless to say, my Ram search was a success. The dealer found me a leftover 2014 that I was happy with. They are really slashing prices, so if you are looking for a 2014 Ram get out there before Jan 2. My sticker price was slashed almost $10k for a 2014 1500 Laramie 4x2.

Personally, I love the look of the Ram inside and out. After 14 years of driving one its just in my blood.

Thanks for reading and I'll post up some pics as soon as she is delivered later this week.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
congratulations, I thought for sure you were going to be the first with the diesel,
what year and how many miles did you have on the old one,

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
congratulations, I thought for sure you were going to be the first with the diesel,
what year and how many miles did you have on the old one,
I thought the same! I'm retiring a 2005 SLT 1500 with 154,000 miles. I've got a guy looking at it tomorrow. Hope to get a quick $7000. It's very clean and mechanically sound.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats on the new ride, @Murf'n'surf

Love it when the "BIG DOGS" like you continue supporting our economy ! ..... LOL !!!

New-Year-Cartoon-3-300x225 - SM - X4.jpg

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MikeyL, no new ride for me other than another rc car. Hopefully your congrats are premature as I'm thinking about upgrading my truck this year.

Congrats on the new ram @Murf'n'surf . My neighbor bought one last year, not sure if its a '13 or '14 but damn it is a nice truck. Plenty of luxury and safety features but tows cc boston whaler as if the boat isn't even there. I'm jealous of his and your truck. Congrats again.

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Old age is a terrible thing to waste, @Ronnie. I'll edit my post ........ LOL !

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys! I can't wait to pick it up.

After You

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question of curiosity. Did you test drive the Chevy? If so, what did you think of it? Congrats. on the new truck.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question of curiosity. Did you test drive the Chevy? If so, what did you think of it? Congrats. on the new truck.
I did not drive a Chevy. I drive a GMC 2500 at work and don't like anything about it. I am not hating on people who like them, they are just not my pot of tea. The loaded Chevy and GMC trucks look very nice inside compared to my plastic riddled GMC work truck and probably ride better than a 2500 but I just cant get past the exterior looks. However, I did look at Escalades and Tahoes but they are a little out of my price range at the moment.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So just to confirm, your still running gas :thumbsup::).
Yep -- your comments really backed up what I had in the back of my thoughts. Thank you!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congratulations! I have the 2012 RAM 1500 regular cab with the 5.7. I assume you got the 5.7? I love that truck. It is also a 2x4. I looked for 4x4 but couldn't find what I wanted. I had a Tundra (2007) before and it was nice but also didn't like the noise in the cab. I am a Mopar guy so I have had lots of trucks and cars from Mopar. My 2000 Ram 1500 (5.2) I gave to my son who is still driving it with 170K and she really doesn't even burn oil. She just runs day and night. Like you said mechanically sound and still a good looking truck. I am sure you will love that truck too!

TexasTea

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats! I did the same and ended up with the 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel about 2 months ago. The interior of the new Ram lines is amazing. I almost went with the Tundra as well, owned 2 of them before, but the difference in price between the 2500 Ram and the Tundra for me was too close and I couldn't get past the fact I could purchase a diesel 3/4 ton for about 3k more than the 1/2 ton Tundra with similar options due to working over the dealer on the last day on truck month 2 hrs before they closed. Gettin 21 mpg highway, 17 city with this beast so I'm happy...and it doesn't even know the boats back there when hitched.

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
She's a beaut! Love that crew cab, I've always had the quad cab but now with a little boy in the family I'm going to need the extra room.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bad news, my local dealer was unable to pull the truck from the dealership that has it. So, I'm looking into other Rams or I will have to drive 2 hours and renegotiate.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh man that sucks after thinking you had that truck. I am sure it will work out and probably you will end up even better off. Good luck.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bad news, my local dealer was unable to pull the truck from the dealership that has it. So, I'm looking into other Rams or I will have to drive 2 hours and renegotiate.
Oh man, that's a bummer!!! Good luck with your second attempt. Hopefully it'll all work out for you.

PS. I'm reading your original post for the first time today and had to laugh. This AM I was working in the front yard when a guy started his F150 and I turned my head wondering if something was amiss. Immediately my neighbor over my other shoulder fired up her Ford Expedition and it sounded identical. I just shrugged my shoulders and went about my day not thinking anything about it. But then I read about your " detesting the sound of Ford starters" in your original post, I had to laugh. Every car tends to have a slightly different sound to them, I've never noticed the Ford starters until today.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm done! Got it!
Had to drive to Delray Beach and renegotiate. I'll have to post up some pics soon other than the pic while driving accross Alligator Alley that's below.
image.jpg