• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got Fusion MS-RA205 for Christmas... How do I install?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. So I got this new Fusion head unit. MS-RA205. It will replace the last stock part in my stereo. Question is how to hook it up with the existing system. I have a JL M6600 amp, 2 speakers in the front, 2 speakers in the rear and a JL IB sub. Presently, I have channels 1-4 to the speakers and 5+6 bridged for the sub. Someday, when I grow up, I will get a sound bar or speakers for the back deck, but nothing there yet.

So, then, the new head unit supports 2 zones if you hook the speakers up to it. There is only 1 zone for which there is a line out. The head unit is 50Wx4 (my amp is 100Wx6).

Option 1 is that I can just hook the new head's line out and sub out to the amp. That is easy, gives me 600W (100 on each speaker and 200 on the sub) but leaves me with only one zone. Not tragic. Then in the future if I get a bar or back speakers, I will put them to the head unit zone 2.

Option 2 is that I can wire the speakers to the head unit (and the sub to the amp). Then I get zone 1 for the front, zone 2 for the back, only 50W for each speaker (and I don't use most of my amp). Then future speakers will go on the amp (but will be hooked to zone 1, which will be funky).

All that said, I think I want option 1, right? Or is there a third option I am not considering?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, good find on the sub knob. Didn't know that was even available. Added to wish list. :)

Thanks. That is about what I figured on the options. Good to have some confirmation.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a quick update: I did the primary install today. Pulled the old HU. Soldered in the new one. On the amp connections, I figured out that the old HU had a front and back output, but the new one has a line out and a sub out. So I put the front amp inputs to the line out and the sub to the sub. Will need to reinstall the splitter to split the line out to front/back on the amp. Other than that, everything was pretty direct and trouble-free. I haven't tuned the amp for the new HU and don't have the rear speakers working yet and already it sounds GREAT!

Oh, but I failed to bring my bits with me and the holes didn't match up on the HU plate and the stock holes in the helm. So, it is just kinda sitting in there right now...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the interest of 'pics or it didn't happen'...
IMG_20180319_201251.jpg IMG_20180319_200707.jpg

Of course, I didn't take a picture of it after I finished, because I am a dope. But look at the quality of those splices in the first pic, huh?