• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GP1800 smashed hull.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC has a way to DIY, this is apparently a common issue and a very expensive fix - and shops charge premium. (No first hand experience with NanoXcell, sorry, just trying to help!)

(Image posted is not visible.)

--

LVE33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you much.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats some serious damage. How that happen. Care to share?

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
total it and sell it off as parts

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ouch. That's an insurance call for me.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Call insurance company and be done with it. Let the pros fix it. The deductible is a minor expense for this hard earned lesson. If you don’t have insurance, then it’s an expensive lesson, but let the pros do it still. Gotta remember your resale value depends heavily on appearance and a shotty job will cost you big in the end.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I saw a similar one on copart recently, maybe he bought it this way? Doesn't hurt to learn on and have an awesome cheap toy made from a little labor and disposable income. I'd certainly try if that's the case.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might not have insurance.....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Holy cow that one really has damage, I just finished fixing one of my hulls , two days ago.
You need a 3 to 1 epoxy and some special fiberglass that does not use talcum powder to keep it together.
It is basically cloth with fiberglass matting sewn to it, You have to get the hull repair area very dry .
I made a special wet vac attachment for this, it uses heavy duty insulated cup holder on the end of the hose that will hold the hose to the area via the suction.
I put it on the area and let the vacuum pull out the water .
I also use a special 60 grit flapper sanding disk to rough up the area.
I inject foam when necessary. Then I shape that foam when required. I also only use fiberglass infused Bondo if I need to use any.
I add the base color to the epoxy and I make patches in gradual sizes prior to putting them on the surfaces, making sure the end patch is a lot larger than the damage and I never leave the ends square cut I always cut the ends round.
I use a large piece of Lexan as a work platform.
I tape some wax paper to it , always wearing gloves, work the smaller patches with the resin and wet the surface where you are repairing with resin, then I place the patches in graduation of size in the correct area placing the largest and final patch on the wax paper and wet it with resin, then lift that wax paper to place it on the final spot with the patch on the paper.
I then use a plastic body filler spreader to work the resin in to the cracks and the air out of the repair , taping the wax paper in place and not removing it until the entire repair has cured.
I then sand as needed and do what ever is necessary to finish the repair however I have never had any damage as bad as or in the location you have so I would agree if you have insurance they will certainly total this because this amount of damage voids the factory hull warranty.
If you are sanding on this wear a mask place a fan in a position to draw the sanding dust away from you and wear lots of powder on your skin before you start I also have a thin nylon jacket that I put on and tape the sleeves closed. Best to use old clothes and just toss them when you are finished. If you need to finish the area I always wet sand it and use epoxy paint with a catalyst and a H P L V gun.

satty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Other
Nano hulls are failing all over the place. I have had Yamahas for 30+ years and used them on hdryoport drive on lifts. The Nano hull litterally can't hold up where there is not reinforcement from the fuel cell. You can see on my 2018 VX that they hull has completely failed in the area where there is no support behind the plastic/glass they call Nano. Yamaha has an issue with these hulls. Has anyone been successful workting with the manufacturer on repairs or replacements? I called and they sent me to local dealer whe basically says "the don't work on the hull". Please help if you have any suggestions. I love Yamaha but this may be my last -

Attachments