• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS/Chartplotter for 2019 190SX

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of the things i learned last Christmas boating in the Keys is how quickly my phone heats up in the sun making the Navionics app not very practical.

I went to Bass Pro Shop because they have working gps display models to play with. I think going with buttons as opposed to a completely touch screen is the way to go for me. I have no interest in fishing but it would be helpful to have a depth gauge so i think an in the hull transducer would work best. I would like to flush mount it in the dash as i saw someone here did with the Simrad unit, however i found the 5" displays small for my 50 yo eyes and wanted to go with a 7'. I noticed some of the units like the garmin stick out about an inch from the dash, but then also require a smaller hole so a 7" might fit (Am i correct in my thinking). Or could i just cut holes for the wires and just attach the back of the unit right to the dash?

I am pretty comfortable with mounting the in hull transducer. The post on here with the FSH boat was very detailed and helpful with location and mounting. I am not so sure about the wiring, i know some on you have put in amps and speakers, how would one wire a GPS on a 190? Am i splicing a switched line or are there open spaces in the fuse box for accessories?

Any suggestions as to brands of GPS. My biggest issue if I want easy to use maps and maybe updates like i get on my phone.

Thanks in advance.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a garmin 44cv with transducer mounted to stern. Works great at all speeds. I to have over 50 year old eyeballs but see the screen no problem. I wear sunglasses with built in cheaters for reading distance. Got them from Duluth for like 30 bucks and they work better than my rather expensive prescription sun glasses. Boat is 2018 AR190.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some plotters like Raymarine can come preloaded with Navionics. If you like Navs, which is currently probably the best navigation software package for casual boating, that could be a factor.
Two years ago I spent like $250 for a Dragonfly 5 chartplotter only, with Nav+, it’s been a great purchase.

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
guess we should start a group forum call 50+ AR190/2/5 group soon.
i used to do navigation with my phone, but found i can not focus, couldnt any under the sun, or move the screen, or zoom in and out when boat is moving, faster it move, seems sooner or later my phone will fly out into water. i am no fishing guy but happy with my Huminbird 7 on ram mount, big and easy ready and adjustable to any angle.

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you like the button option, the Simrad Cruise, available only at west marine, is a great value for a strong unit. It's built specifically for the use you described.