• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gron2848 <1997 Regal Rush XL2 engine issue>

Gron2848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I am new to jet boating. I purchased a 1997 Regal Rush XL2 this Spring. I ran it a few times without problems. Now, I cannot start it if it is in the water. It will start on the lift but as soon as I drop it in the water to take off it kills the engine. Any Ideas?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum @Gron2848. I'm not familiar with your boat but in general you would want to check things like safety lanyard and neutral switches. I would hold the key in the start position while slowly moving the shifter slightly forward and rearward of neutral. Hopefully it may just be a neutral switch out of adjustment. It may also be the safety lanyard clip being warn. Try holding the safety lanyard clip up higher while trying to start. I've had to put a couple wraps of electrical tape on a friends lanyard clip for the same reason. Let us know how you make out.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with that boat but my SeaDoo has a Mercury engine and there may be some similarities.
There's a heavier load in the water vs. the trailer. It could be something as simple as the battery if it starts on the trailer but not in the water.
Is it not starting in the water? Or is it also idling but then stalling out as soon as you lower it into the water?
That could also be a symptom of low compression in the cylinders. Worth doing a compression test (which they say you should do before purchasing a used boat).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length