• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Guages and hinges question

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Stupid question on the guages on the 190 are they glass or plastic lenses? I want to clean them up. Also my hinges are getting tight and hard to use. Is there an oil I could use on them?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gauges are plastic. Glass would be dangerous to have on a boat in case of breakage.

On the hinges just be careful of anything that could stain the surrounding area.
I use a product called Miracle Lube, from Technicians Choice, but havent been able to get it in years.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used a seafoam product that was a lubricant and sprayed down all of my hinges and latches Nov 14th right before I put the cover on and left my boat. I did not think about staining the fiberglass around them. January 1 I’ll be back in Florida open up. If I did not stain the fiberglass I will gladly put a picture of the lubricant for you to see I figure it will be a good test for the staining or not. I beleave it was Seafoam Creep. I use it to spray down my outdrive every time after pull it out of salt water and wash it. If it does stain the gel coat I will have a real crappy looking boat, I’ll let u know. It might have been the cable lube. I just did not want anything to corrode. I left the can there so I will see on the 1st.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used a seafoam product that was a lubricant and sprayed down all of my hinges and latches Nov 14th right before I put the cover on and left my boat. I did not think about staining the fiberglass around them. January 1 I’ll be back in Florida open up. If I did not stain the fiberglass I will gladly put a picture of the lubricant for you to see I figure it will be a good test for the staining or not. I beleave it was Seafoam Creep. I use it to spray down my outdrive every time after pull it out of salt water and wash it. If it does stain the gel coat I will have a real crappy looking boat, I’ll let u know. It might have been the cable lube. I just did not want anything to corrode. I left the can there so I will see on the 1st.
I doubt it would stain the gelcoat, i would be more concerned with vinyl

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
303AP, on everything inside the cockpit including seats and everything around.
It's the best there is for overall protection for vinyl, rubber, and plastic, IMO. Also inside engine bay.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
303AP, on everything inside the cockpit including seats and everything around.
It's the best there is for overall protection for vinyl, rubber, and plastic, IMO. Also inside engine bay.

--
He is asking about lubricating hinges, which i assume are stainless.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He is asking about lubricating hinges, which i assume are stainless.
I see what you mean!
I assumed it was about the seat cushion hinges like those:
upload_2018-11-29_13-56-30.png
Which I think are just painted.

But I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on both, SS hinges (like in the head compartment) and the seat cushions. The 303 leaves a nice sheen of lubricating agents, I think it's mostly silicone, but their formulation is just the best.

I have also been using it on the hull, once a year, there is a special way of doing it - saturate, let dry, buff, repeat. It does not provide the same cosmetic results as waxing and polishing, but the 303 penetrates gelcoat and vinyl (like the partial hull wrap/stickers covering the sides of the hull) better than almost anything, without harm.

303 is not a "lubricant" in a classical petroleum distillates sense but it penetrates and lubricates better than most similar silicone products. Without the terrible side effects like cracking of seals and rubber with Armor-All.

I would recommend 303 wholeheartedly for everything inside the boat. I also do the windshield with it - to saturate the seals. It is a bit of a pain to get it off the glass (with windex or similar) afterwards but worth it as the rubber seals saturated with 303 do not dry/rot/crack and will last forever.

The big issue with the 303 AP is NOT to use it on canvas. It's okay on new canvas but it has an uncanny propensity of speeding up (rapid) disintegration of older canvas. Such as bimini tops and boat covers. Some light overspray is probably okay and harmless, but using it to saturate those older canvas, as you would with a canvas protectant, leads to those falling apart. Weird.

--

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did not spray it on the vinyl. But it is a lubricant so it will work on hinges. If it was the Creep it’s actually a penetrant, but it is a mild lube. If it was the cable lubricant it’s Awsome for hinges. A little silicone spray once in a while will probably lubricate your hinges more than enough so that they will not squeak and never wear out.