• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gunnel flush mounted rod holders

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looking to install a couple Scotty flush mounted rod holders about even with the helm. However I'm not too sure how strong the tops of the gunnel are? Looking underneath they appear to just be screwed to the sides of the boat liner. Anyone else make such an install?

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Perfect that's what I wanted to see. Sounds like there must be enough substance to that piece to bolt to. I'm looking to install the flush mount holders that way I can remove them when not needed.flushmount-1000x1000.jpg

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After further review looks like that's what you have :)..

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yep. Drill the large hole to match perfectly so that there's no extra play. Bed it in a little 4200. Don't over torque the 4 screws. The screws I used bit and held fine but you could always thru-bolt with a washer and lock nut for extra piece of mind.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How thick is the top? I'm planning on running some small dipsey divers for fall salmon. I may run a backer plate as well.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I mounted my triple racks on the gunnels. Admittedly, I need to redo it at some point, to 'beef it up'. I just drilled (3) holes, and bolted everything up. Good idea on using 4200 adhesive as well. I was surprised how thin the fiberglass was, and was hoping there was metal sandwiched in there, but there's nothing. I'd be hesitant on running downriggers without some stronger backing under the gunnel.

I have a bunch of Scotty Holders in my garage, from my kayak, that I could use, but I wasn't a fan of the white boat with black holders. I do like the idea of your white flush mounted holders.gunnel.jpg fishing.jpg

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I won't be installing in downriggers. Just was concerned as to how strong the top plate was being it appears to be just a bolt on piece. Last thing I want is to see stress cracks in that area.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I guess it was strong enough that I wasn't too concerned mounting my rod holders. But I would like to beef it up over the Winter. I'll let you know if they hold if I hook into a Green Bay Musky this Fall! ;)

This is not me, or my fish, but....it's what I'm trying to catch:
upload_2017-9-12_12-26-0.png

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i added a track system and put 3 tubes per side. I havent noticed any issues with cracks or movement in over year. Not uncommon to troll two or three rods per side out of these.

Attachments

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ended up mounting two on the top of the gunnel just about even with the middle of the helm. That way I can see them while trolling plus they are in front of the bimini top while its in the down position. Marine store only had Atwood holders in stock that were flush mounted. They looked on par with the Scottys and Cannon brand. I did like the fact that they had a clam shell style cover that was made of rubber that covered the entire base plate while not in use.

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i added a track system and put 3 tubes per side. I havent noticed any issues with cracks or movement in over year. Not uncommon to troll two or three rods per side out of these.
Are the tower rod holders able to fit any size tower tube? I want to order those.

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's a nice idea. I'm concerned with the integrity of the existing rod holders. I plan on fishing off Cali for tuna this summer, and I don't want to find out my rod holders can't handle it.

WiredKC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As an alternative to drilling into your gunnel, I found these on Amazon. $40-50. Adjustable.
Lee's Summit! I'm right down the road from you in Pleasant Hill. I think that I saw your boat at Surdyke not too long ago...

Ron Zimmerman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Probably did. Mine sat in their lot for 3 months.

WiredKC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know the feeling. They had mine for over 2 months, assured me that it was covered the entire time, and when I went to pick it up it had 6 inches of water in it and looked like a tree was growing out of the bow.