• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hangtyte Support System Install - 2016 AR240 (Getting Rid Of The Poles)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally had some time to install the Hangtyte system. Well, two actually.
Is it perfect? No. The YJB 24' bow is so long the front rope is barely long enough to reach the tower mounting point, but it does.
Better than the poles? Yes.
Convenient? Yes. For example, I can hang the cover off of the tower while draping it around the boat, makes it easier. Will work great when covering it in the dark, on the lift etc.
Best part? No poles!
Worst part? Cutting a hole (or two) in the perfectly good premium cover!

Here are some pics:
upload_2018-3-4_0-34-46.png
upload_2018-3-4_0-35-14.png
upload_2018-3-4_0-35-30.png
upload_2018-3-4_0-35-51.png
Front:
upload_2018-3-4_0-36-33.png
Back:
upload_2018-3-4_0-37-11.png
upload_2018-3-4_0-37-37.png
upload_2018-3-4_0-38-20.png
upload_2018-3-4_0-38-34.png
upload_2018-3-4_0-41-31.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should have stated - the use of Hangtyte system is NOT mutually exclusive with using the poles. The poles can still be used, with or w/o engaging the Hangtype pulleys.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick update few days and a couple of rain storms later - I'm never going back to the poles.

That thing is just great: once you figure out the length of the ropes - there is no need to touch the pulleys, just hang the loops over the tower mounting point and finish draping the cover over the boat, ratchet the straps (of the cover, not Hangtyte), done.

I don't see any weak points in the design, really.

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quick update few days and a couple of rain storms later - I'm never going back to the poles.

That thing is just great: once you figure out the length of the ropes - there is no need to touch the pulleys, just hang the loops over the tower mounting point and finish draping the cover over the boat, ratchet the straps (of the cover, not Hangtyte), done.

I don't see any weak points in the design, really.

--
So, you're able to drape the cover over, then get off the boat and ratchet the strap? Most of the videos I've seen have the user pulling the hangtyte rope from the ground, but your comment about the length of the 24' bow made me think that wasn't possible.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, you're able to drape the cover over, then get off the boat and ratchet the strap? Most of the videos I've seen have the user pulling the hangtyte rope from the ground, but your comment about the length of the 24' bow made me think that wasn't possible.
Correct about the cover but no need to ratchet the Hangtyte ropes. One would need a big ladder to even reach the end of the rope hanging of the front/bow pulley, really hard to reach, unless one is like 8ft tall or something.
But - there is no need for that, I have those pulley ropes set for the length and no need to rappel them, the only tightening is on the cover bottom strap - with ratchets in the cover.

That surprised me (didn't see it coming) but it works really well.

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very cool, now I'm interested! I had written it off because it just looked like a different kind of hassle when getting home.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My boat will be on an uncovered list this summer so I am onboard with the hangtyte system. Thanks for the write up. I'll be installing mine in early May.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Looks like a great idea.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You used 2 of them?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski One question. What do with the system while towing? I assume you release it, to not stress the cover or the system hardware. Like pulling the poles out for towing and putting back in after stopping. Even though I usually tow, short distances and low speeds <10mi and <55mph, with the poles in on my custom bow and cockpit covers and towing/mooring cover.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ability to leave the ropes set and not have to tighten them is a giant plus IMO. To be clear, I'm not even certain how you would do that on a trailer. Are the loose ends long enough you can reach them from the ground? I certainly can't reach my tower (or even over the windshield) from the ground. Maybe if I stood on the trailer and did a rock climber move and hung off the tower could I reach.....maybe.....How is that supposed to work?

Looks like it's working well, and a good alternative to the poles. I don't have a single issue with the poles myself, but others seem to hate them significantly. As always, thanks for sharing!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski One question. What do with the system while towing? I assume you release it, to not stress the cover or the system hardware. Like pulling the poles out for towing and putting back in after stopping. Even though I usually tow, short distances and low speeds <10mi and <55mph, with the poles in on my custom bow and cockpit covers and towing/mooring cover.
The ability to leave the ropes set and not have to tighten them is a giant plus IMO. To be clear, I'm not even certain how you would do that on a trailer. Are the loose ends long enough you can reach them from the ground? I certainly can't reach my tower (or even over the windshield) from the ground. Maybe if I stood on the trailer and did a rock climber move and hung off the tower could I reach.....maybe.....How is that supposed to work?

Looks like it's working well, and a good alternative to the poles. I don't have a single issue with the poles myself, but others seem to hate them significantly. As always, thanks for sharing!
For short distance/secondary roads it doesn't matter for me. For highway driving I do not use poles. With Hangtyte, no need to disconnect the ropes from the tower mount as those can just be loosened up. There is enough rope in the front to make the cover completely slack, the rear is not an issue - plenty of rope. Easy to do when inside the boat, or from a ladder, or w/the boat on a lift (in a typical dry slip setup).

When on the trailer, the rear Hangtyte pulley can be reached by standing on the trailer fender - the new fenders are actually pretty decent and easily support an adult person weight. The front is tricky-er to reach as there is not much of a free rope hanging down.

Somewhat surprisingly, I think those Hangtyte gizmos put less pressure on the cover, actually, as compared to the poles. It would of course depend on individual operator, how tight is tight, but basically there is no need to tighten the Hangtyte ropes much in order for the cover to drain water nicely, even in a heavy storm.

--

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you trailer with the cover on? If so, what's your plan for doing so? I would assume you'd release or remove the pulleys and ropes but then you'd lose your set point?

Edit: should of refreshed before posting

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you trailer with the cover on? If so, what's your plan for doing so? I would assume you'd release or remove the pulleys and ropes but then you'd lose your set point?

Edit: should of refreshed before posting
I have thought about it a lot since we trailer quite a bit.

I have a "spare" shipping cover (the OEM - that comes with the boat) - and love using that for trailering long distance. It saves life of the expensive premium cover, but most importantly is actually better for towing as if has that fluffy/fleece like underlay - that does not chafe gelcoat. Those expensive premium covers can mess up gelcoat pretty bad if not ratcheted real snag, particularly in the bow. Some have even used masking tape to prevent that, I know that @Majorsmackdown posted on that issue somewhere here.

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quick note, you can buy these from iBoat's eBay store for a few dollars less and free shipping. I noticed that Hangtyte's website did not collect credit card information on a secure page, and Amazon charged $20 for shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HangTyte-Boat-Cover-System-5025/132062060823?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 for $94, instead of $108 through hangtyte or $118 via Amazon.

Little cheaper at iBoats.com, but they charge shipping there so YMMV on total OTD price.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want to update my review of the Hangtyte system.

A major convenience feature that I discovered today - when needing access to do a quick mod in the driveway.

Best explained by the picture below.
Basically, I can move the cover to the side without releasing the system or even touching the cords. Super convenient when needing quick access - I only need to "undo" one side while the cover is still hanging up:
(brilliant! - when done it only takes seconds to drape the cover back over the boat - as it is suspended on the ropes)
upload_2018-3-25_22-33-28.png

I know... the things that give me joy, lol.

--

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I want to update my review of the Hangtyte system.

A major convenience feature that I discovered today - when needing access to do a quick mod in the driveway.

Best explained by the picture below.
Basically, I can move the cover to the side without releasing the system or even touching the cords. Super convenient when needing quick access - I only need to "undo" one side while the cover is still hanging up:
(brilliant! - when done it only takes seconds to drape the cover back over the boat - as it is suspended on the ropes)
View attachment 70658

I know... the things that give me joy, lol.

--
Is the tower not going to fall off with the added weight?

Joke aside, great idea, I’m doing to give it a try.