• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Has anyone added a Garmin Echomap 70S to their 2012 240/242?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I purchased a Garmin Echomap 70S during the Black Friday period. I am considering how I will mount it. So I thought I might take inventory of the ways it has been done before...and keep the reinvention of the wheel to a minimum! Here is my dash, with exception to the stereo HU having been changed to the Fusion IP700i. It may take a custom mount since the wall area is minimal and may not accept the base size of the smallest appropriate Ram Mount. I made a custom on my 230 as well.
70S mounting.jpg

If I had the time I would relocate those switches at the upper right and mount the 70s there if it fits.

Those switches do take up a crazy amount of space. I think it might fit there.

Any more thoughts on this...that don't add a total dash fabrication? Pics of an install of this unit in a 240/242 would be great!

Not that I don't agree with @Bruce and @Murf'n'surf , because I do...I just don't want to bite off that big of a change. Even though those switches take up way more room than they need to, there isn't room for them and the 70S in that space, and as you can see, you would have to move them off the dash completely to relocate them. I like the little shelf and use the heck out of it for quick lay downs. So don't really want to alter that all that much.

Adding 2 feet of wire to each and moving them is waaaay easier than building a sub enclosure! Just sayin....

I get that too @Murf'n'surf , but to where? Look at that pic...that dash is full. And those are switches you want quick access to, horn, lights, etc.

The panel beside the no wake switch has lots of room. Looks like there may be room below it as well.

No matter where I might move them will require fiberglass work. In the combing pocket, there is a phone holder in front of the throttles, behind is too far out of reach. Below the main dash isn't accessible. The only think I know to do is change style of switch to stainless toggles and cheapen it up to make better use of space available. I can't do that...and honestly, I don't think that the 70S will fit on that face anyway, without building a new face and cutting out the edge flange to widen the whole surface. So given that I can't relocate the switches to a useful place, and don't want to rebuild the entire dash and dash bonnet, I am thinking a ram mount is easiest and fastest, and probably the cleanest design. I also want it to be removable when parked at a restaurant, overnight, or in transit. So a flat or flush mount isn't really the best way for a trailer boat. I removed the other garmin in the 230 even when we went into a restaurant and put it in my boat bag. I will do the same with this one. Too much temptation...for that matter, so is a Fusion HU!

The part of the switch behind the dash is significantly bigger than the toggle of the switch on the dash. Here is the No Wake panel...there is room to move some things but not 3 extra switches, even if you rebuilt the entire panel, you can't get 5 rockers, 1 12V socket, and an aux plug. I am good with mods...I just don't want to cheapen it up, and I like a stock look with mods, but not really visible change to stock. Excuses I know, but valid. Keep the ideas coming...you may help me find a solution yet! I could move the 12V and aux, but doing all those extensions don't much appeal to me. I will post up a pic of the back of the dash. It is a dramatic improvement over the 230 series, it is so clean back there you won't believe it. So going back to a mess isn't really appealing!
2014-05-28 08.34.23.jpg

I need to shoot a pic of the dash with the Fusion there too, it take up more room, both in the dash and behind.

It looks like you would have room to mount two switches to the left of the no wake switch two more on the other half by either relocating the 12v power socket or doing away with the audio input that you will not use once you have the fusion connected with Bluetooth.

My Dragonfly is ram mounted where you drew the red box. It works great there. But if I could have integrated it into the dash I would have.

You probably have more room on your dash than I do @Bruce , but your right, I could cram those switches together and move the aux and 12v. But the switches are labeled for side mount. I think they are actually engraved and not just a label. I know from going through switchology on the 230, that buying some of these switches can be done, others can't, but even still, adding $500 to buy new switches just to move them and make it look nice, doesn't look nice if labels are sideways now. What bothers some doesn't bother others. I think the sideways labels would bother me more than just having the plotter above the switches...but your right, there may be room if you totally remove that panel, make a new one, and mount all the switches in that face.

Where did you mount your ram mount?

@txav8r, my mount is documented at https://jetboaters.net/threads/mounted-my-ray-marine-dragonfly-with-ram-mounts-today.1644/

mountrear-jpg.5142

fulldash-jpg.5141

Where did you drill the cable hole and run it through? Here is mine, I drilled the cable hole below as seen in the second pic.
DSCN0887.JPG DSCN0896 (Medium).JPG

I notched the gauge cluster panel and brought the cable out through it. There are no visible holes.

Mel, I think @Ajohn5555 mounted his Garmin fish/depth finder/ plotter in the same spot you initially mentioned using a custom made metal mount similar In shape the the one you drew. Maybe, he will see this and post a pic or a long term review.

I put my garmin echo fish/depth finder on a long ram mount arm that attaches to ball that mounted to the inside wall next to the combing box, i drilled a small hole on the same side of the combing box and led the transducer lead through it (I use the 12v port to power it but may hard wire it through the same hole before next season). Additionally, since I don't have a combo unit I mounted my mini iPad on another long ram mount Based in the cup holder on the dash (I don't use it but the ones next to the throttles instead so I'm not losing any functionality that I care about). I will try and post a pic or two later if I can find them.

I know you have the skills to build a new dash but also understand why you wouldn't want to.

ROFLMAO! Your right about that @Ronnie , sometimes, ones skills get them to find out the limitation in the said skills too! lol I could build the new dash ok...but the time and limitations on my desire to rewire the whole boat may get me in too deep! lol

So your garmin isn't a chart plotter? Great, I hope you can find the pics with both mounted. You may at some point want to upgrade the garmin...but I know your discretionary money takes "flight"! Thanks for the lead, I hope @Ajohn5555 sees it too...any pics help to give you better ideas of what a permanent mount will look like.

Here are a few pics I could find. When the fishfinder is not in use the leads go in the combing box. It's easy to detach the entire arm of the mount but easier to pull the garmin out of its cradle (it makes for a lighter boat bag as well), same for the ipad mini.
1 (1).jpg 1 (2).jpg 1 (3).jpg 1 (4).jpg 5 24  (3).JPG a.JPG a2.JPG ajs garmin.jpg Ram mount.JPG ram mounts.jpg

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 4
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1 (4).jpg
    1 (4).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 5 24  (3).JPG
    5 24 (3).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 4
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Ram mount.JPG
    Ram mount.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 4
  • ram mounts.jpg
    ram mounts.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 4
That is good info @Ronnie , as they say, a picture says a thousand words. The ram mount on the right that holds the garmin, where is it attached? In the cell phone pocket? How did you secure it?

Back