• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone come up with a way to prevent stepping on the rear seat?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is my biggest pet peeve with my boat. I have no idea why Yamaha decided not to make the engine cover seat have a removable center filler cushion. I know jetboatpilot makes a cushion kit to do this but it's pretty expensive and even more is you add the filler cushion option. I was thinking surely there is some kind of stand that could be made to serve as a temporary step. It would need to collapse so that it could be easily stowed. I just really hate stepping on my seat and the center cushion is showing its wear from it already. As a last resort I may just take the boat by a local upholstery shop and see if they could just modify the existing cushion to be a 3-piece cushion with removable filler. I've had motorcycle seats made and reupholstered so I can't imagine a shop charging $400+ for doing it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is my biggest pet peeve with my boat. I have no idea why Yamaha decided not to make the engine cover seat have a removable center filler cushion. I know jetboatpilot makes a cushion kit to do this but it's pretty expensive and even more is you add the filler cushion option. I was thinking surely there is some kind of stand that could be made to serve as a temporary step. It would need to collapse so that it could be easily stowed. I just really hate stepping on my seat and the center cushion is showing its wear from it already. As a last resort I may just take the boat by a local upholstery shop and see if they could just modify the existing cushion to be a 3-piece cushion with removable filler. I've had motorcycle seats made and reupholstered so I can't imagine a shop charging $400+ for doing it.
Is this what you are looking for?
https://jetboaters.net/threads/best-mod-ever-engine-hatch-kit-w-seadek.10257/

Also, this thread has some good pointers on the install in 192 by @JerryG.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx-192-mods.6550/page-9#post-160499

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski yes I've seen the kit and it looks great but it's a $400+ mod if you include the center section. I was just wondering if anyone created something different and cheaper.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can't just remove the bolts holding that cushion down and replace them with buttons to make the current cushion removable when at anchor and able to be snapped back in when underway?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can't just remove the bolts holding that cushion down and replace them with buttons to make the current cushion removable when at anchor and able to be snapped back in when underway?
I was wondering this too if anyone has modified theirs to be removable with snaps. My only concern then would be the snaps eventually giving out or causing the underside to give away. I don't really want the whole seat to be removable but would love to know if a upholstery shop could cut my foam and reupholster it so that its a snug fit with a removable center section (highlighted green area). The question is can this be done for less than buying the $400 kit? It seems simple enough but I'm no upholsterer lol.

Attachments

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was wondering this too if anyone has modified theirs to be removable with snaps. My only concern then would be the snaps eventually giving out or causing the underside to give away. I don't really want the whole seat to be removable but would love to know if a upholstery shop could cut my foam and reupholster it so that its a snug fit with a removable center section (highlighted green area). The question is can this be done for less than buying the $400 kit? It seems simple enough but I'm no upholsterer lol.
I was thinking about having a flap made up to match the same grey in on the highlighted green area, it would be attached under the bow seat at the back. could roll it up and put it back or leave it out to step on. Something that can wear and be replaced. But doesn't help with the stretching of the material below and the foam compressing. A snap would work but would wear like you said. a handle to one side would work but kinda goofy. maybe a hinge flipping back, but it would be awkward.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was thinking of using wingnuts, but I like the snap idea.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Side question about cushions. How do you remove the side ones? Are bolted in from the back? Looking to hide some lighting

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Side question about cushions. How do you remove the side ones? Are bolted in from the back? Looking to hide some lighting
You mean the storage cushions? You just sort of angle them and pull out and the reverse for reinstalling or are you talking about the bench seat?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
wait I was mistaken, I was talking about the back cushions, not the seat ones. for example the passenger one above the bench.
I'm not sure if you have Facebook or not but on the jetboaters.net group a member posted some great images of how the cushions are designed and held in on these boats. If you don't have a FB account let me know if you can't see the images and I'll just copy them and post them here for you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/jetboaters/permalink/803711866449206/. Basically there are a few nuts holding cushions on and then it has the metal clips.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm not sure if you have Facebook or not but on the jetboaters.net group a member posted some great images of how the cushions are designed and held in on these boats. If you don't have a FB account let me know if you can't see the images and I'll just copy them and post them here for you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/jetboaters/permalink/803711866449206/. Basically there are a few nuts holding cushions on and then it has the metal clips.
Great find, thanks!

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hated stepping on rear seat as well! Been holding up for the past year. For those contemplating whether or not to buy, IMO you can save some $$ by not buying the center cushion. For me, I rarely use it
20160518_181926.jpg

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our SX210 has a removable cushion. I believe we've had it in place once or twice in 8 years. I leave it in the garage now. If the boat is really loaded with people someone will gladly sit on the hard step no problem.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know on a 2015 ar240 the square throwable flotation device fits in that spot so I leave my middle seat cushion out. if any one had to sit there I would give them that. A word of caution it will blow out at high speeds if no one is sitting on it but on the upside it does float lol

martynnz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

Strange question but does anyone know who makes the vinyl for yamaha. Would like to change the cushion so no one steps on it. I suspect shipping the cushions from JBP would be prohibitive to New Zealand. Was going to ask my local upholsterer to quote for making the cushions. It would be great if I could make them match.

Cheers

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think Will at Jetboatpilot has a source for the Vinyl. Give him a call. They're a stand up group of people and I'm confident if shipping is too outrageous, they'll have some suggestions for you.