• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has Anyone Ever Had a Part Made That They Couldn't Find?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in need of a transom plate (part# 6S8-G5831-00-94) and have been looking since Aug 2021. I recently ordered it just in case, even though no parts places would give me a date. A few days after order, I have now gotten 2 emails with dates of June23 and now July 1. I have no idea when it will arrive.

Since the part I need is all metal, I was wondering if I could have it made at a machine shop or something. I was wondering if anyone here has ever done that? I guess I would need the specs of the part and find a place to do it but I was just wondering how possible it might be.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just googled it and found 2 places that have it in stock.

The issue with making one at a machine shop is if they don't have the old one than it will get really expensive. Even with the old one I'd guess you'd be spending more than a new one would cost.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I totally agree that I would expect it to be more $$ than buying one. The problem has been finding it. I have talked to no less than 20 yamaha parts dealers and none of them have it nor would they give me a date. I found a place that estimated 30-60 days that offers refunds at any time up until shipping so I ordered it for nothing more than to "get in line". Since the order, I have gotten emails of dates of June 23 and as of this morning July 1.

I have contacted both of those places and both say backorder with no date from Yamaha. Its just crazy that its this hard to get. That's why I was asking about having it made and if anyone has done it before.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder for parts like this if Yamaha does not have foundries with the recipe and when they are short they ask for more. There was a dry spell of about a year to get the pump impeller sleeve about 18 months ago. Unless you need it NOW, the cheapest strategy is probably to wait for Yamaha to make them.

If you cannot wait, certainly looking at used/ebay/calling around in case someone has one in stock is the right thing to do.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I have looked at every shop I can find and on ebay for even used parts and found nothing. It definitely stinks. If it was a little more to have it made, I would do it. Just not sure how feasible that is.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Yes, I've done this with my boat already (glovebox panel) and have with things in the past. If you are knowledgeable with computers at all and can get a free CAD program or have access to one. All you have to do is design the part in CAD and give it to a local machine shop or machinist friend and they can knock it out for you or submit the CAD file online to a place like Xometry

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. I do not know enough about the part to design it myself. I didn't know if the specs are available somewhere or something.

Computers are not an issue for me but like I said I do not know the part well enough to design it myself.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Transom plate is pretty critical piece. I’d follow @Babin Farms links fast and try to get ordered so you can get back on the water.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
eBay is a great source, I didn't see any active listings matching the transom plate.
You have to be creative in your search. Searching for the whole boat or project SX210 or Yamaha transom. But yes, it does not appear to be on there. I do random searches every few days and was surprised at what would pop up. I found new tachs that have been NLA for years just randomly show up.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys.

I have been searching ebay as well, but I have not looked for a "parts" boat or anything like that. I have one ordered but who knows when it will show up. It still says Jul 1 today but I will keep looking. I would absolutely try to have one made but I need the spec/design or another one to use as a model. Unfortunately I do not have any of those so not sure I can get one made, and definitely don't know what it would cost.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What happened to your ?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine apparently is not making a seal. Last summer I took it to the mechanic and he said when they were pulling out the pump there were divots or metal had worn down or what not, so it was leaking. They tried to get it to seal but it wouldn't so he said it needs replaced. I took my boat out of the water last August and it has been on his lot since then. I am just hoping I can get the part so I can get on the water this summer at all.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine apparently is not making a seal. Last summer I took it to the mechanic and he said when they were pulling out the pump there were divots or metal had worn down or what not, so it was leaking. They tried to get it to seal but it wouldn't so he said it needs replaced. I took my boat out of the water last August and it has been on his lot since then. I am just hoping I can get the part so I can get on the water this summer at all.
That may be worth a second opinion or at least pictures. A good welder or machine shop may have been able to repair that for you.
Not making a seal between the pump and transom plate I assume.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you need to examine that more closely to understand the problem. That part does not leak to the inside of the boat I don't think. Maybe leaking air into the pump causing cavitation? It's on the high pressure side so that doesn't also make much sense.

EDIT: @jmargo beat me to it.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was cavitation. Those were my words how I described it. The bottom line was that he said there were big gaps where it was supposed to be a tight seal, so it was beyond cavitation. He said the transom metal was too far gone for any kind of repair. I think he tried to fill it with silicone or something and it was not strong enough. Earlier in the season, he noticed it when he took the pump off and tried to fill it with silicone or whatever but he wasn't sure if it would work. I used the boat and later in the season it must have blown it out because that side had a ton of cavitation. So I took it back and that's when he said the metal on the transom was too far gone and needed replaced.

That was Auh 2021 so I have been waiting for the part to show up somewhere ever since. I ordered it a week or so ago just in a hail mary effort to hopefully get one so I can use the boat this summer.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I just got another update about my part and it is now saying August 13. So it originally said late June and now I'm mid-August. This sucks.

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Do you have any pics of the damaged plate/problem area(s)?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately, no. The boat is still at the boat shop which is 2 hours away from me. I just know that the guy said that metal had worn away on the transom and the gaps are now too big to seal with silicone or whatever else. He has a better explanation but those are my words. He did warn me that it could happen before and when he pulled off the pump the last time last summer, he said the gaps were now too big to fill. My boat has been sitting there since Aug of last year and now the part is saying mid-August this year.