• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone removed the tower from their 2015 or newer AR240

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd like to store my 2015 AR240 in a garage over the winter months, but the garage door in question is too low to fit the boat with the tower folded. Instead of renovating the garage door, I'm considering removing the tower altogether so that the boat can be stored in the garage during the winter months, and then reinstalling it for outdoor storage during the summer months.
Has anybody removed/reinstalled the tower on their 2015+ 24 foot boat? If so, is this something that you'd recommend doing on an annual basis, or would it make more sense to just bite the bullet and renovate the garage door, which would have the added bonus of enabling indoor storage year-round?

Thoughts?

Thanks

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not in front of my boat but isn't it just remove a circlip and remove the pivot pin? I've only lowered my tower once and I guess there would be a counterbalance cable to deal with.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The counterbalance is my concern. I've only lowered my tower once, just to make sure that it all worked properly when the boat was new. I didn't take a close look at how things fit together. I assume that the wiring for the nav light would have a connector in the pivot area.
My boat is 2200 miles away, so I can't go check it.
Although unlikely, I was just wondering if anybody has done this before.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm confused your boat wont fit with the tower down but the wind shield will fit in? I must have just gotten lucky or they changed something but my 2017 tower goes all the way down under the windshield. If yours doesn't you can adjust the counterbalance cable I believe to make it do so.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I measured mine with the tower down and I got 8.5'
Yamaha also spec's a height on trailer with the tower down of 8.5'
The SX240 height on trailer, per Yamaha, is 7'10"
My tower, with the nav light, definitely sit above the windshield.

@robert843, interesting idea about adjusting the counterbalance. Even if it isn't adjustable, maybe just disconnecting it will enable my tower to drop below the windshield, thus eliminating the need to remove the tower altogether.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I measured mine with the tower down and I got 8.5'
Yamaha also spec's a height on trailer with the tower down of 8.5'
The SX240 height on trailer, per Yamaha, is 7'10"
My tower, with the nav light, definitely sit above the windshield.

@robert843, interesting idea about adjusting the counterbalance. Even if it isn't adjustable, maybe just disconnecting it will enable my tower to drop below the windshield, thus eliminating the need to remove the tower altogether.
Here was how @haknslash did it on his AR190 same principals hopefully are involved.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-get-your-2016-ar192-or-ar195-in-a-garage-less-than-7.10369/

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no real "counterbalance", just a cable with a big fender washer/nut - the stop.
I think @haknslash idea may work.
I can not find the pic of the cable, it just hangs down - about 10" or so, but here is the front bolt (inside the port side gunnel, looking up, the two little screws are I think the ones for holding the Yamaha logo on the hull - in the second picture - just to give you some bearings on directions in the photo):
upload_2017-6-4_13-28-57.png

upload_2017-6-4_13-29-9.png

--

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks fellas. Now all I have to do is measure the actual height of the garage door opening of the house that I haven't bought yet.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would deflating the tires help?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nah. Just jack up the house foundations.

--

Pizzaman69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is no real "counterbalance", just a cable with a big fender washer/nut - the stop.
I think @haknslash idea may work.
I can not find the pic of the cable, it just hangs down - about 10" or so, but here is the front bolt (inside the port side gunnel, looking up, the two little screws are I think the ones for holding the Yamaha logo on the hull - in the second picture - just to give you some bearings on directions in the photo):
View attachment 57069

View attachment 57070

--
Can you give me the measurements on your tower? Width inside and out, and length of base? I'd like to put this tower on my sx240 and I need to know if it'll fit. Thanks

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you give me the measurements on your tower? Width inside and out, and length of base? I'd like to put this tower on my sx240 and I need to know if it'll fit. Thanks
I'm not a big fan of the AR 2015+ tower as I have had some serious issues with that tower. Specifically, the internal locking mechanism is poorly designed and not safe.
Aside from that, it is NOT a universal fit design, the tower requires very specific hull enforcements (inside the hull cap) and mounting points. Not to mention, it is priced at close to 5k, which is more that you would pay for almost any aftermarket tower.
If I where you, I would consider a 2010-2014 AR240 or any other 2010-2014 24' factory tower, the hulls are all built the same within a MY.

--

Pizzaman69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not a big fan of the AR 2015+ tower as I have had some serious issues with that tower. Specifically, the internal locking mechanism is poorly designed and not safe.
Aside from that, it is NOT a universal fit design, the tower requires very specific hull enforcements (inside the hull cap) and mounting points. Not to mention, it is priced at close to 5k, which is more that you would pay for almost any aftermarket tower.
If I where you, I would consider a 2010-2014 AR240 or any other 2010-2014 24' factory tower, the hulls are all built the same within a MY.

--
I do understand the differences. I have found that tower for $2800 which is more than aftermarket but I want to keep it Yamaha. The 2014 and older aren't what i'm looking for.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do understand the differences. I have found that tower for $2800 which is more than aftermarket but I want to keep it Yamaha. The 2014 and older aren't what i'm looking for.
The width of the tower (outside to outside at the base) is approx. 90".
The base is approx. 2.5" wide.
The hull cap thickness under the tower base is approx. 3", it is very heavily enforced.

--

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also curious about removing the tower to store the boat for the winter. On my 2017 AR210, I can get my windshield to 6'8" by lowering the front of the trailer onto a floor jack.

I have removed the support cables from the tower to lower the tower below the windshield, but the base of the tower then sticks up to about 7'1". Even with the tires deflated, I'm unable to get there.

I think if i can remove the tower, I would be able to fit it in. It looks like there is a snap ring on a pin that is what the tower pivots on, but I'm unable to confirm without just tearing into it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@seabass2020 I am very keen to know if you are able to pass this on 7 foot door. I have an 2012 sx240 and with tires 100% deflated and the tongue on a 3 inch caster, i could not clear my garage door.
the way I have seen it done for winter storage is to remove the tires and use 4 casters to lowered.

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@seabass2020 I am very keen to know if you are able to pass this on 7 foot door. I have an 2012 sx240 and with tires 100% deflated and the tongue on a 3 inch caster, i could not clear my garage door.
the way I have seen it done for winter storage is to remove the tires and use 4 casters to lowered.
Do you have a link to someone removing the wheels and using casters? I was thinking of this too.

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are pictures of both sides of the tower, and then the measurement at the windshield. My garage opening is actually 6'10". And with the tower removed, i think I can make it.
It looks like maybe just remove the snap ring and drive the pin out - assuming that's how it works. I emailed xtreme towers and they said they didn't know because it was specific to the manufacturer.

Other options I've considered:
Lowering the tower all the way down by removing the limiting cables (this gave me more clearance above the windshield, but the base of the tower then rises up to create a problem)
Lowering the tongue to the ground with a floor jack - this gives me about 4-5 inches more at the windshield (as shown in the picture)
Airing down the tires - gave me an inch or two, but not enough to clear the tower base.
Adjusting bunk rail brackets -- haven't tried, but possibly modifying the brackets to gain a couple inches of clearance
Removing wheels and putting casters on the axles to roll in place
Removing tower

This is just for winter storage in my garage, I wouldn't do this every time I wanted to use the boat.

Of all these options, I feel like lowering the tongue of the trailer and removing the tower would allow me to fit this in my garage with a 6'10" opening.

IMG_6388.JPG IMG_6437.JPG IMG_6446.JPG