• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone seen this before? AR230 - 2005

Nate Fallow

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The guy selling me the boat said that it was a manufacturer's defect but I kinda doubt that.....He said that it just seemed too tight in there and it busted through but again that seems unlikely...any help would be awesome! Thanks! ( See attached pic)

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Nate Fallow

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I mean something is protruding through that.....I’m not sure what it could even be?? This particular cubby is located by the passenger’s captain chair...the hull is all good so I’m not sure what would cause that??

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no idea what could cause that but mfg defect would be way down on the list of possibilities, if it's localized and hasn't spread any further I wouldn't worry about it and would be a nice way to get a good discount,
on the other hand if he's really trying to sell it as a defect what else might he be covering up or just that ignorant of ???

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually - @Ramblin Wreck and @1948Isaac friend in Florida who was in Bimini (either last year or 2016?) has had something like that happen in his 230(?) few years back, he had it fixed by Yamaha but then it happened again and almost hurt his daughter, or something like that. I think he sued them, and they ended up paying up. Or something like that.
I'm spacing out on his name, Philip?

I know... Could I possibly be more vague???? lol

--

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this is the only issue i would just repair the hole. It is not structural and would be good practice for fixing other ineviable repairs you will have in the future.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe there was a fire extinguisher there and he caught substantial air.

Nate Fallow

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the responses thus far! Yeah, I’m leaning towards still buying it honestly...but what concerns me is that the hole was created from something in between the hull and that cubby....I know it’s hard to tell from the pic but from what I can see there is something coming through the cubby from the inside out (I can blow my picture up to see the image closer). You can see the gray carpet protruding through the hole so I can’t just replace the cubby and move on. Does anyone understand the construction of these boats well enough to venture a guess as to what could be popping through from the inside?? Thanks!

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that is removable, take the four screws out holding it and you can even replace it. He either had something in it and it bounce around and cracked it or he put something under the seat and it slid around and hit it and broke it from the inside. Not a big deal at all, its just a thin piece of plastic that gets brittle after time.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
stick your head under the seat, that's empty air storage area, you should be able to see it easily from the inside,

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that is removable, take the four screws out holding it and you can even replace it. He either had something in it and it bounce around and cracked it or he put something under the seat and it slid around and hit it and broke it from the inside. Not a big deal at all, its just a thin piece of plastic that gets brittle after time.
absolutely correct, don't let it stop you from buying, IMHO

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree....just pull it out and see what is behind there. My guess is something got stuck back there and he went over a wave and the outer hull had no flex to the inner hull due to what ever is back there and cracked that storage cubby. It COULD be that they layed up the fiberglass poorly, or dropped the mid-cleat backing block, and rather than fish it out, just got another one, not realizing that leaving the dropped one in there could cause this to happen....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That kinda damage could be almost anything. Could have had something heavy fall on it. Something hit it from behind it in the storage area. It would seem it would be easy to replace.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an idea however if you know someone who does quality fiberglass repair work you might have them look at it. I say this because my neighbor is one and he is very good at identifying the cause. Another option is to have a professional survey done to be sure there are no other fiberglass issues. Again just a thought.[flag]

Mavelous

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same issue on my 06; it was caused by the power cable for the amps located in the port closet rubbing through the back of the thin cubby. Hard to tell from the pic if yours was caused by the same but something to check. Mine was also there when I purchased 3 years ago and hasn't been an issue, got back in there with a few zip-ties to keep it from rubbing until i can make a more permanent repair.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just want to reiterate, this isn't fiberglass, nor is it structural to the boat. It is a little plastic tray, I believe this is the part number. F1U-U4776-00-00

Last edited:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just want to re-iterate, this isn't fiberglass, nor is it structural to the boat. It is a little plastic tray, I believe this is the part number. F1U-U4776-00-00
It also looks like it was broken from the front into the back to me. I understand there is bits of carpet backing poking through, but looking at close-ups of the damage it still looks to me like something broke it from the front.

Scott1k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This happened to my 2007 within a couple years of buying it new. It is a very cheap and flimsy plastic insert. I'm pretty sure mine just cracked from sunscreen bouncing around in there. I finally broke down and bought a new one last year off of Ebay. The replacement was just as flimsy as the original so I'm sure it will fail again.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This happened to my 2007 within a couple years of buying it new. It is a very cheap and flimsy plastic insert. I'm pretty sure mine just cracked from sunscreen bouncing around in there. I finally broke down and bought a new one last year off of Ebay. The replacement was just as flimsy as the original so I'm sure it will fail again.
This is right on the money. I have the same issue. It's plastic that has broken down in the sun.