• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have I set myself up for failure? (Tow vehicle)

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So as you may already know, I went all impulse when I purchased a 2008 AR230 yesterday My intended tow vehicle is a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum. It is rated for a 6,000 towing capacity which I thought would be enough. Now I am second guessing... Just looking for opinions (or facts) on whether I am in trouble or if the Pathfinder should be able to handle the tow. Most of the time they are short trips of 5-10 miles but sometimes we journey 3-4 hours away for a week.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You'll be all right but it'll be a bit stressed to do the work at times. If you plan on going on the Bimini Trip and driving through the mountains to get there, well, you'll know the difference between that and a Titan or other full sized truck.
If I remember correctly, the Pathfinder is a body on frame like a truck, unless they changed it from the old school ones. I would guess that the suspension will be taxed and you will feel that, and the engine isn't a monster either.
I would keep on top of your brakes regularly as well because a full size truck comes with full size brakes which really helps when towing.
I had a Dodge Dakota and while it did seem fine, it stressed the truck to the point of losing a transmission.
I don't know what the Nissan quality is nowadays, but that boat will be putting some stress on it!
Be sure that you have the proper hitch
Look into a weight distributing hitch just to help the truck out.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Speedling. Pretty much the way I thought it was going to go. Might be time to switch out my fun car for a function truck!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nissan discontinued the body on frame in 2012 and the Pathfinder now uses a unibody. When they first went to unibody the towing capacity was only 5K, in 2017 they improved the capacity to 6K when equipped with the tow package.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You will fry that Tranny. They are weak in the pathfinder.
Good thing the Titan comes with a 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty. They replaced the transmission in my titan already for free. I think Nissan just has weak transmissions.
Get something shiny with plenty of power to pull, will this work? It pulled up and was so nice I had to snap a pic.C5E62CDF-BB46-41F8-BB26-21EFFE2E837D.png

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3-4 Hours twice a year is not bad. If you are concerned about the Transmission, what kills them is the heat. Add a generous transmission cooler and it will make the transmission last forever. I have towed the same boat with a Pilot which is rated for 4,500lbs, but with a transmission cooler installed. and I have had no issues. Transmission fluid degrades quickly once hot, once the fluid is burnt, the transmission wears much more quickly. Cool Pink Fluid = Happy Transmission. If I were you, I'd try a trip or two to check your confort with the set up. A nicer bigger truck sounds great, but when you add the fuel cost for ALL the miles you will drive, for a few trips ...just make sure you look at all your options before spending another 10-50k if you don't want to.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have to agree with the more conservative approach...drive your current rig and see how the tow vehicle handles the boat. If braking and acceleration are satisfactory then my only concern would be long haul overheating on the tranny. One long trip a year could be a problem depending on the climate and topography you will be crossing. If it were me, towing a boat that close to the rated load, I'd definitely invest in an oil cooler (relatively cheap and easy to install) and a weight distributing hitch...both MUCH less than a new tow vehicle which you will rarely need but pay for daily.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All great points here.
The only possible caveat to beefed up oil/trans coolers is when driving in cold climates, with real winters and short commutes that can be a hassle.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I towed our 242 last year with a 2011 Pathfinder. We only go about two miles and there are two hills . It worked but not ideal. I wouldn't feel great about towing 3-4 hours.

My son is driving age so looking for a used truck that will double duty as our tow vehicle.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In Houston we close the city if it gets lower than 30 degrees... Too cold for most humans in the area.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All great points here.
The only possible caveat to beefed up oil/trans coolers is when driving in cold climates, with real winters and short commutes that can be a hassle.

Interestingly enough I was researching the trans cooler setup in my Sierra the other day. Since it seems to run around 185deg rather I'm towing 7500lbs in the middle of the summer, or if I'm idling in the dead of winter. Come to find out, there is a thermostat hidden within the manifold on the side of the transmission that feeds/returns the fluid to the cooler.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well I saw a Corolla pulling a pair of two full size jet skis the other day..... I think you will be fine for short trips lol.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really appreciate all the feedback. I will take a few short trips locally to get a feel for things. Then re-evaluate from there. I guess buying a truck might be a little premature! LOL

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I towed my 21’ with a Buick Enclave for a few years. I knew it wasn’t ideal and added a second trans cooler right away. On hot days where hitting a stoplight too long it would start to heat up. I would drop in neutral and rev a little to keep the temp down. Eventually the 3/5/R failed in the tranny. It has a SB for improper heat treat, so not all my fault; but the use didn’t make it last any longer for sure. I have seen so much worse than a Pathfinder-AR230 combo; but be responsible with the limitations and accepting of the risk.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on my experience with my ‘13 Tahoe, you will be okay, but at the vehicles limit.

I jumped the shark and traded the Tahoe for a 2500 duramax and it is NIGHT AND DAY difference. I have more truck now than I will ever need to tow my SX230. But nice to know that I can get a 5th wheel or any travel trailer down the line to tow.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
^ i don’t think you can compare a 13 Tahoe with a pathfinder.

Just be easy on the pathfinder and see how it does.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As others said, the trans is the weak link there. Your pathfinder has a CVT, which is not known for reliability in regular use, let alone towing.

Is it under warranty? If so, go for it until warranty ends. Out of warranty, no frickin way. CVTs are not rebuild or repair parts, they are buy a new one and replace parts.

You could likely get a good deal on the Armada, it does not appear to sell well.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As others said, the trans is the weak link there. Your pathfinder has a CVT, which is not known for reliability in regular use, let alone towing.

Is it under warranty? If so, go for it until warranty ends. Out of warranty, no frickin way. CVTs are not rebuild or repair parts, they are buy a new one and replace parts.

You could likely get a good deal on the Armada, it does not appear to sell well.
I've read mixed reviews on the CVT and towing recently. Wife really likes her Rogue, and we were considering moving to a Pathfinder and letting her drive the Tow Vehicle and I sell the pickup......Anywho, it seems those that do it have installed significant trans cooling upgrades, temp gauges, and watch it like a hawk. To the point of taking breaks in hilly areas to let the trans cool. Seems like any other transmission and high temps are what lead to a premature death. The CVT is just more sensitive to fluid breakdown than a traditional wet clutch/planetary style transmission.

Like everyone else said above......Take it easy, and it should be OK. It's right near the limit.