• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a Plug blow out?

Have you had a plug unlock on its own and blow out or remain locked in place by aftermarket measures

• Yes I had a plug unlock on its own

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • No I've never had a plug blow out or unlock on its own

Votes: 76 80.0%

• Total voters

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm going to make this a simpler poll as the other poll asking this question confused people.

1- Yes I had a plug unlock on its own (and blow out or not)? This would include those with pins or a fix that would prevent the plug actually blowing out.

2- No I've never had a plug blow out or unlock on its own.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am basing my vote of No on my current situation.

When I bought the boat back in May the plugs were worn and we had problems getting them to seat fully and stay seated. We would rev up and they would slip out but nothing major. We did end up seating them well enough to do a good sea trial with no blowouts. It may have had something to do with the cold water because once I got the boat home and out of the water I could finally get them to seat properly. I ran it like this a few times without a blowout while the rebuild kits were on order as well as the EZ Locks.

Once I installed the rebuild kits and started to use the EZ Locks I have had no blowouts or attempted blowouts. Never once did either of the buttons release with the locks holding it in place so the plugs/rebuild kits are doing their job.

So I am of the mind to use the rebuild kits when the plugs show their 1st sign of wear and use EZ Locks/True locks as a safety measure. Cheap insurance for all.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Jet boating for 5 seasons. I remove my plugs after every outing and reinstall as part of my weekend prep. Never had one "blow" out. I did notice once this year something funny while leaving the dock. Apparently when I reinstalled....I didn't get it seated properly. This happened at no wake speed and I have never had any counter measures other than nerf footballs.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Julian You should change it to "Yes I had a plug unlock on its own (fresh water)" & "
Yes I had a plug unlock on its own (salt water)" & "
No I've never had a plug blow out or unlock on its own". I believe that it happens more in salt water than fresh water.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may want to include whether ez locks are used since that will skew the poll.

edit/updated - I now see that you had an original poll that included this additional poll option but that didn't seem to work out and confused people. Oh well

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't had any blow outs, I forgot to put them in one time (second time putting the boat in the water) as soon as I gave it a little throttle I knew exactly what I forgot thanks to reading the forum before I bought the boat.

I remove them every time I pull the boat out of the water and rinse them off while washing the boat since I'm a salty water kinda guy. They still install and remove easily, never have been rebuilt just pulled out after boating.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine was due to the dealer. I have EZ-locks now but went two years without.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've found a plug be unlatched at the end of the day perhaps 2 or 3 times over the years, but no blow out due to ez-locks.