• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hawaiian Sling recommendations

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am thinking that I will try my hand a some spear fishing in the Bahamas using the only legal method there - a Hawaiian sling. I know very little about them....ok...I know nothing about them, but figured someone here might have some advice on what to buy, not buy, look for.....

Anyone?

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many many years ago I was involved with a dive group that used these. They were much cheaper than the spear guns. It's been long enough I'm not going to be able to speak about brands. Multiple tip choices is a good thing, relatively thick fiberglass pole about 6' is also preferable. You shopping in person, or online? If you can get your hands on it, you'll be able to tell the build quality, that's pretty straight forward. Like any other projectile type device, the closer you are to your target, the better.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I took a quick peek via a Google search and found that they've evolved a bit to now include some form of handle/grip device. A few of those appear to serve as a sling shot of sorts that's capable of firing similar much like a hand held bow and arrow. Not familiar with that at all. The ones we used had the loop at the end of the pole and were a one and done type of thing, until you retrieved it. Multiple shots could be cool for sure. Especially if you hit something that takes off with your pole never to be seen again. On that note, the flopper tip with that barb keeps your fish from slipping off. But, if they're only slightly injured you may loose a pole.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is one I'm looking at....seems decent.....
That one looks pretty cool! The multi-part shaft won't be as good as a solid shaft. Though, I didn't see anything terribly bad about that aspect in the reviews.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Here's another one to look at. LINK I like that one because it's yellow. Much easier to find bright yellow if it's lost. That, and my old one was yellow. :)

gmac03

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most any of the ones on Amazon will do. I prefer the tri-tip but because I’d be diving around reefs so I could pin them into it if need be, then quick grab them with my dive knife.

Gloves are nice to have, other than your typical protection the rubber sling will chew through your thumb fairly quick.

Having a catch line on a belt is super convenient as well, so you don’t have to make a trip to the boat after each catch.

Good luck and enjoy. 🤙🏻😎

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Most any of the ones on Amazon will do. I prefer the tri-tip but because I’d be diving around reefs so I could pin them into it if need be, then quick grab them with my dive knife.

Gloves are nice to have, other than your typical protection the rubber sling will chew through your thumb fairly quick.

Having a catch line on a belt is super convenient as well, so you don’t have to make a trip to the boat after each catch.

Good luck and enjoy. 🤙🏻😎
Won't be using a catch line. Read too many stories about shark bites on spear fishermen..... because they attached their catch to themselves and made themselves shark bait. Heck....I'll be happy to hit something!

@King I think the bahamas law requires the sling (attached spear) so no "detached" spears.

Didn't think about gloves....have an old pair of dive gloves....but pretty sure they are no good anymore

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @Julian,

sorry for the reply Brother, if it’s not to late shoot me a call/text and I’ll be happy to go over things(specs) with you. Just so can get you the best possible match on a Hawaiian sling that will go great in your situation.

Rueben

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Aloha @Julian,

sorry for the reply Brother, if it’s not to late shoot me a call/text and I’ll be happy to go over things(specs) with you. Just so can get you the best possible match on a Hawaiian sling that will go great in your situation.

Rueben
I ordered two on Amazon last night! Typical! LOL

I got two of these:
1656358271934.png

And a couple of different tips (and adapters to make them fit):
1656358239530.png

1656358211086.png

And I got a stringer that I'll attach to a float of some sort.....not keen on attaching it to me and making myself bait! LOL

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered two on Amazon last night! Typical! LOL

I got two of these:
View attachment 181413

And a couple of different tips (and adapters to make them fit):
View attachment 181412

View attachment 181411

And I got a stringer that I'll attach to a float of some sort.....not keen on attaching it to me and making myself bait! LOL
That’ll work. Go Gettum!!!!