• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Heads Up - Bimini is reported to have new Drone laws

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
According to a couple of sources, Bimini/Bahamas is now restricting personal and commercial drone use and may even temporarily confiscate them at the customs office upon arrival in country if you haven't received prior written permission from their government to have them. The new regulations came into effect on 1 February and there is a stiff punishment if you are found in possession of a drone without the necessary government paperwork.

Here is some information on how you can request permission to use your drone while vacationing there. Remember there is a least a 5 day lead time on all requests, and they may require you to pay a fee or even put up a refundable bond amounting to up to 50% of the cost of your drone.

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
According to a couple of sources, Bimini/Bahamas is now restricting personal and commercial drone use and may even temporarily confiscate them at the customs office upon arrival in country if you haven't received prior written permission from their government to have them. The new regulations came into effect on 1 February and there is a stiff punishment if you are found in possession of a drone without the necessary government paperwork.

Here is some information on how you can request permission to use your drone while vacationing there. Remember there is a least a 5 day lead time on all requests, and they may require you to pay a fee or even put up a refundable bond amounting to up to 50% of the cost of your drone.

"
Safety distances and flight bans
Drones must not approach airports closer than 8 kilometers.
"
That's actually a HUGE radius if that rule applies to ANY airport. This pic just gives an idea of the 5mi/8km radius from the south airport.
bmini drone radius.JPG

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Can anyone help me understand all these strict drone rules? When the Super Bowl was here, which is almost 20 miles from me, they had 30 mile radius ban on drones. That means pretty much everyone in the surrounding counties couldn't even use their drone. Insane.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can anyone help me understand all these strict drone rules? When the Super Bowl was here, which is almost 20 miles from me, they had 30 mile radius ban on drones. That means pretty much everyone in the surrounding counties couldn't even use their drone. Insane.
You may be referring to TFR's, Temp Flight Restrictions. They pop up and expire all the time for various reasons. They're not unlike momentary road and highway closures whenever high level political figures need to travel.

The rules are quite lengthy, seem to change a lot and vary from country to country. Unfortunately, even the FAA is struggling to understand them and where they need to go. They have done a great job with airplanes for many years, but when congress thrust the responsibility for drones on them, they weren't prepared and often approach drone regulations from the aspect of a manned airplane. One example is the FAA's Commercial Drone Pilot Test. They include Hypoxia questions (The effects of high altitude flight on the human body) as part of the certification test as if you were flying inside your toy drone. They have instituted mandatory crew restrictions and sleep/alcohol consumption rules for even backyard flying.

The big things are understanding if you are flying for personal reasons, or "In furtherance of a business" That last part even includes monetized youtube videos. Anything in the later part of that last sentence puts you in the commercial class and tighter restrictions, need for a FAA license, etc. The big no-nos are flying at night, over people/manned vehicles, in designated restricted areas, over 400', out of visual line of sight, or anywhere where you're presenting even the slightest perceived threat to manned aircraft.

For just a little light reading...... You could go directly to the actual law: 14CFR Part 107, or check out the FAA's website. Here's a link that may address some of the information you requested. Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Regulations (Part 107)

You could also try one of the free GPS enabled software services like B4UFLY, Airmap, Verifly, and others. They help identify TFRs and other restrictions. Bimini seems to be generally following the FAA's lead for now and most likely reacting to past issues from those less disciplined drone fliers.

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pretty much they want to earn extra money. Bahamas scenery is best captured using drones, Bimini Sam wants your dolla

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"
Safety distances and flight bans
Drones must not approach airports closer than 8 kilometers.
"
That's actually a HUGE radius if that rule applies to ANY airport. This pic just gives an idea of the 5mi/8km radius from the south airport.
View attachment 143454
Great graphic! What does it look like with the normal circles around each of the two airports and restricted zones?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great graphic! What does it look like with the normal circles around each of the two airports and restricted zones?
Capture.JPG

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thats unfortunate. Those are the breaks I guess when the whole island is tiny and has two airports. It looks like Isaac Cay and some of the popular destinations to the South are all that's available now. I didn't see where they had an exemption request process like we do here in the US for licensed pilots. Thanks for the graphic! It's very helpful.

Saltydog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like an app called skyvector for looking at a free aviation / up to date / weather and airspace.
I also use kittyhawk to file drone flight plans (GET LAANC approvals) and check drone airspace restrictions and prohibitions.
There isn't an easy way right now- you must read and understand what's required and make sure you are following those rules.
There are classes you can take BUT the rules have changed several times in the last few months and you need to go to the source FAA for free instead of pay for old courses that are nicely organized but obsolete.
Advice: print it! Carry info with you, And know it well enough to debate it kindly- or don't fly it.
Check CAA for Bahamas drone rules.
Unfortunately LAANC approvals are for US airspace only.

Last edited:

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I like an app called skyvector for looking at a free aviation / up to date / weather and airspace.
I also use kittyhawk to file drone flight plans (GET LAANC approvals) and check drone airspace restrictions and prohibitions.
There isn't an easy way right now- you must read and understand what's required and make sure you are following those rules.
There are classes you can take BUT the rules have changed several times in the last few months and you need to go to the source FAA for free instead of pay for old courses that are nicely organized but obsolete.
Advice: print it! Carry info with you, And know it well enough to debate it kindly- or don't fly it.
Check CAA for Bahamas drone rules.
Unfortunately LAANC approvals are for US airspace only.
That's a very key point: The Bahama government does not recognize LAANC and I'm not aware of any apps that will help a drone pilot in that geographical area. @FLJetBoater laid out a pretty good depiction though.

I've used SkyVector too - your right, it is a great app. Haven't tried KittyHawk yet, but I've heard good things and will have to give them a try. According to the FAA, the Kitty Hawk app is one of only 5 approved apps that allow recreational users apply for LAANC approvals. UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)

I've heard that LAANC approvals are much faster now. They used to literally take a month or two.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Bummer, all these rules and laws everywhere really restrict the fun in drone flying. I’ve been flying for awhile and it’s all but ruined now and frankly I don’t see a lot of reasoning for doing so. It’s not like serious drone accidents are prevalent.

Saltydog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a very key point: The Bahama government does not recognize LAANC and I'm not aware of any apps that will help a drone pilot in that geographical area. @FLJetBoater laid out a pretty good depiction though.

I've used SkyVector too - your right, it is a great app. Haven't tried KittyHawk yet, but I've heard good things and will have to give them a try. According to the FAA, the Kitty Hawk app is one of only 5 approved apps that allow recreational users apply for LAANC approvals. UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)

I've heard that LAANC approvals are much faster now. They used to literally take a month or two.
The LAANC approvals are much faster!
Example; I want to fly in class delta airspace - I go into the app and fill out 4 questions (it already stores my other info) draw a box around the geographical area i plan to fly and it gives me a max altitude for that airspace and area and within 2-4 min I have the approval messaged to my phone.
I use kittyhawk just because I like the layout better for android and personal preference. I'm sure the others are good too!
I just finished my comm drone license and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.
all these rules are making it safer- annoying- but safer for aircraft pilots and bystanders.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The LAANC approvals are much faster!
Example; I want to fly in class delta airspace - I go into the app and fill out 4 questions (it already stores my other info) draw a box around the geographical area i plan to fly and it gives me a max altitude for that airspace and area and within 2-4 min I have the approval messaged to my phone.
I use kittyhawk just because I like the layout better for android and personal preference. I'm sure the others are good too!
I just finished my comm drone license and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.
all these rules are making it safer- annoying- but safer for aircraft pilots and bystanders.
Congratulations on passing your cert test! If you're interested, there is a company that job shops folks like us if you have the right equipment. Check out DroneBase.

Saltydog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations on passing your cert test! If you're interested, there is a company that job shops folks like us if you have the right equipment. Check out DroneBase.
Thanks! I'll check it out for sure.
Also looking into going to bimini this year so hopefully I'll have some input on what was required.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ditto! We're heading out with the Jetboaters June floatilla. Maybe we'll see you there. :)

JetboatDrvr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As a former rotary wing pilot, I can tell you that drones (and drone pilots) make me nervous. As I see it, part of the problem is closure rates and visibility. At 100 knots, a small drone is extremely difficult to spot and harder still to avoid. I could get comfortable with drones if all operators were required to monitor a common air to air VHF frequency for traffic alerts and passed airspace exams. Also, I think if we structured the TFRs like class B airspace (picture an upside down wedding cake) where max altitude of drones varies by distance from airports and approach paths then it would be easier to accept but again, this requires more training by drone pilots.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Bummer, all these rules and laws everywhere really restrict the fun in drone flying. I’ve been flying for awhile and it’s all but ruined now and frankly I don’t see a lot of reasoning for doing so. It’s not like serious drone accidents are prevalent.
It is a mixed bag. Fear mongering and uninformed UAV enthusiasts.

Fear mongering: "Pilot reports seeing UAV". No reference to whether the UAV was operating in compliance.
Uninformed UAV Pilots: The 400' AGL is there for a reason. Have I gone higher than that? Maybe ;) But if I had, it would have been in the great north woods, and not around a soul (ground or air).

The biggest hazard with UAVs is not airplanes. It is helicopters. Particularly police helicopters. Helicopters need to be above 500' AGL legally. There are more than a few reports by police helicopters "encountering" UAVs when THEY were below 500' AGL. Then the police went after the UAV pilot.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It is a mixed bag. Fear mongering and uninformed UAV enthusiasts.

Fear mongering: "Pilot reports seeing UAV". No reference to whether the UAV was operating in compliance.
Uninformed UAV Pilots: The 400' AGL is there for a reason. Have I gone higher than that? Maybe ;) But if I had, it would have been in the great north woods, and not around a soul (ground or air).

The biggest hazard with UAVs is not airplanes. It is helicopters. Particularly police helicopters. Helicopters need to be above 500' AGL legally. There are more than a few reports by police helicopters "encountering" UAVs when THEY were below 500' AGL. Then the police went after the UAV pilot.
What I just don't understand is the whole 5 mile radius around an airport (Bahamas new rule), especially small ones like on Bimini. It should be (the way it is in the US for the most part, according to the safe fly maps) only restricted along runway paths. Planes aren't approaching or taking off in any other direction so why should drones be restricted closer than say, 1 mile or 500ft.

Again it comes back to training, but that can be regulated just as easily as the distance restrictions can.

When I lived in Canada I had a drone and we lived within a couple miles of a regional airport. I had to go on to the app every time I wanted to fly and request an approval - it typically only took a day or so. And those approvals were linked directly into the drone software so it would actually NOT FLY if you didn't have those approvals. It was a Mavic and was a couple years ago. Not sure if something similar exists here in the US/FL.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What I just don't understand is the whole 5 mile radius around an airport (Bahamas new rule), especially small ones like on Bimini. It should be (the way it is in the US for the most part, according to the safe fly maps) only restricted along runway paths. Planes aren't approaching or taking off in any other direction so why should drones be restricted closer than say, 1 mile or 500ft.

Again it comes back to training, but that can be regulated just as easily as the distance restrictions can.

When I lived in Canada I had a drone and we lived within a couple miles of a regional airport. I had to go on to the app every time I wanted to fly and request an approval - it typically only took a day or so. And those approvals were linked directly into the drone software so it would actually NOT FLY if you didn't have those approvals. It was a Mavic and was a couple years ago. Not sure if something similar exists here in the US/FL.
Huh..... While I was stationed in Europe, I'd heard stories that the DJI software would lock you out if you attempted to take off from a prohibited area, but I doubted that it was true and thought that they may have confused the mandatory software update groundings with proximity groundings. Many don't know that every aspect (location/speed/altitude) of every flight you've ever taken with DJI is recorded and uploaded. I've never had to make a flight request in either Europe or here in the US, but I ALWAYS check the GPS aware advisory sites before I fly.

I'm disappointed by the new Bimini 5 mi. rule, but I'm never surprised at the lengths reasoned authorities have to go to keep all manner of stupidity in check. While not necessarily in this case, its sad to see uninformed officials making dumb rules about things they know nothing about. We always seem to be dragged down to the lowest element among us.

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Huh..... While I was stationed in Europe, I'd heard stories that the DJI software would lock you out if you attempted to take off from a prohibited area, but I doubted that it was true and thought that they may have confused the mandatory software update groundings with proximity groundings. Many don't know that every aspect (location/speed/altitude) of every flight you've ever taken with DJI is recorded and uploaded. I've never had to make a flight request in either Europe or here in the US, but I ALWAYS check the GPS aware advisory sites before I fly.

I'm disappointed by the new Bimini 5 mi. rule, but I'm never surprised at the lengths reasoned authorities have to go to keep all manner of stupidity in check. While not necessarily in this case, its sad to see uninformed officials making dumb rules about things they know nothing about. We always seem to be dragged down to the lowest element among us.
That's exactly it...lowest common element lol

Yes I lived about 2 miles from a small regional airport. We were allowed to fly but only with the prior approval otherwise the DJI software would not let the drone takeoff at all.