• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Health and Fitness

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I watched this doc a few years back… I found it fascinating and enlightening at the same time, and it is no wonder why so many people are morbidly obese, just from the way they eat. I also listed to his book, “Fitness Confidential” which Vinny is the reader, fascinating man and life experience. I dabbled around with the NSNG way of eating, notice I did not say diet, a couple of summers ago and it did give me more energy. Fast forward to December of 2022, and my pants got tight and I was like okay, time to get off your ass and get back to working out. At first I just kept eating the way I had been until I had got a good fitness point, then recently have slowly transitioned to the NSNG way of eating. Now the body fat is coming off, with a little weight loss, but I’ve also been gaining muscle weight as I lost some body fat. Started out at 189, now at 182.6#, I’ve been dropping about .25# per week.

At the very least, it is entertaining and hopefully some of you will find it enlightening.

E2DCFA8B-2E35-4210-9827-2309DE75274D.png

This is my current work out regimen.

Day 1: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
1 hour on a precor elliptical, maintain heart rate of 145 to 150, level 12 pushing and pulling on the handles at the same time. 700 Calories burned per hour. These are fantastic machines if you really exploit them.
2 Kilometers on the rowing machine in 8 minutes or less
1 mile on the treadmill at 4.2 mph

Day 2: Tuesday, Thursday
1.25 mile swim in 450 yard intervals for a total of 45 laps. I’ve done 54 laps a couple of times, 1.5 miles, but I need to stay at 1.25 and build up to the 1.5. My friend does 3200 yards a night.. incredible.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not sure of NSNG, but I am a firm believer that the only diets that work are ones that you can maintain. With that being said, counting macros is the only real way to lose weight, everything else is just a guessing game. As a plus to macros, you can eat literally anything you want. Nothing like finishing off my macros with a jar of ice cream in front of me. In that regard I HIGHLY recommend the Carbon app. It was designed by Layne Norton (suggest following him, as he is very analytical and calls BS as he sees it) and is pretty much the best thing going for sustainable weight loss.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure of NSNG, but I am a firm believer that the only diets that work are ones that you can maintain.
Agreed. I've done NSNG-like diets before, I'd rather die early than live life like that. I still avoid excess sugar, and won't ever drink it aside from an occasional glass of juice. Counting cals/macros generally works for me, and is pretty sustainable as long as you do it. Dropped ~20 this year so far with counting weekdays, and being more lax (but not glutenous) on weekends. Everybody's metabolism works differently, just need to find what works for you.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’ve trained lots of men and women and just running 1 mile a day makes the biggest difference and doesn’t take much time.
Even walking one mile a day makes a huge difference for average person.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well my weight loss of 18# to my target of 172# has stayed consistent over the summer with far less workouts but have maintained the no sugars no grains way of eating…mostly. I do have my treats twice a week, a child’s hot fudge sundae on Wednesday night, and whatever dessert is brought for Family Dinner night. I do try and get in a few work outs a week, and I got 39 miles of swimming in during the summer swim challenge that ran 12 weeks from the end of June to the end of August.

This winter will be phase two, a return to my racing fitness program of 6 days a week, 3 days cardio and 3 days weight training.

Even doing just mainly cardio my fitness was so much improved, our trip to the sand dunes this year was basically effortless while on the bike.

The NSNG way of eating has given me greatly improved stamina and when I get hungry the hunger doesn’t spiral down into hangryness if I don’t eat soon.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Calories consumed vs calories burned, thats it when it comes to weight loss. All fade diets are just ways to help people achieve that in an easier controlled manner.

Beyond that, there is healthy and unhealthy ways of consuming calories, a balanced diet as they say.

Exercise is just good for your health, both physical and mental and will accelerate weight lose by burning calories.

I credit MyFitnessPal for allowing me to implement this all in a successful way. Put in your age, current weight and target weight, then it tells you how many calories you can consume daily to reach your goal.

Since 2017, I've lost 37 pounds. I haven't used MyFitnessPal in years because I retained what I learned... don't over eat!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That’s awesome you lost those LB’s and have kept them off! I totally agree with you about fad diets, and the reason most fail is because people think there is a finish line and they return to the ways that got them to where they were in the first place.

Check out that documentary I put in the first post if you haven’t already, even though my intense workouts were replaced with a lot of days on the boat my weight stayed the same and my clothes fit the same and I eat when ever I’m hungry, but I stay away from sugars and grains, if I have a craving for something sweet I eat a couple pieces of fruit. I do not consume alcohol either. I also agree with you about meal portion size, when I go out to eat I have the waitress bring me a to go box and I put half the meal in it before starting to eat.

Totally agree with you about exercise as well…very necessary for overall physical and mental health.

Again, good job on taking the weight off and keeping it off!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice topic! I always maintained my healthy weight based on height (im on the lower portion). I have pants from my 20's that I still wear. I never gave up on any food I like but I only consume it 1 week a month (fried chicken, bbq ribs etc), the rest is healthy food (low to no carb, protein rich, salads). I do 2500 ft swim daily and 1-2mile walk with occasional 50 ft sprint. I also have kettle bells to tone (i dont want big muscle lol) that I do 3 sets with 3 reps nightly. Some pushups/situps here and there. I do not take any medication, never did. I rather put some exercise hours than taking pills.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice topic! I always maintained my healthy weight based on height (im on the lower portion). I have pants from my 20's that I still wear. I never gave up on any food I like but I only consume it 1 week a month (fried chicken, bbq ribs etc), the rest is healthy food (low to no carb, protein rich, salads). I do 2500 ft swim daily and 1-2mile walk with occasional 50 ft sprint. I also have kettle bells to tone (i dont want big muscle lol) that I do 3 sets with 3 reps nightly. Some pushups/situps here and there. I do not take any medication, never did. I rather put some exercise hours than taking pills.
Great job FBR! That’s a great program you’ve got going there!

In July after six months of training and changing the way I eat I was able to get into one of my favorite dress coats, a frock coat that is a late 1800’s design that I haven’t been able to wear properly since 1998. I can get into 33” waist wranglers but they are tight across the hips because of the muscle I’ve built from all the hours on the elliptica-probably the best bang for the time exercise I’ve ever found. And to be clear, I’m not that concerned about weight, just about how much body fat I’m carrying, I know I’ve lost a lot because the few cool mornings we’ve had so far in the high 20’s and low 30’s feel cold as I have less insulation lol! But that’s fine, one thing about cold weather, you can just add another layer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
NSNG: No sugar no grains (yup I had to Google that).

I put on the freshman 20 when I retired, so started working on that in the spring. My approach is really simple, get on the elliptical (we own a nice precor), watch what I eat, and I skip lunch fairly often. I can drop a pound or two a week easily this way.

My only problem is all the vacations we've been going on (first world problem)! If I had a graph of my weight it would be a line of hills! Just got back from Sandals Barbados for 12 days where I gained 7lbs! I've dropped 4 in the week since I got back....working out and skipping lunch and not eating ice cream every day!!!! lol

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great job FBR! That’s a great program you’ve got going there!

In July after six months of training and changing the way I eat I was able to get into one of my favorite dress coats, a frock coat that is a late 1800’s design that I haven’t been able to wear properly since 1998. I can get into 33” waist wranglers but they are tight across the hips because of the muscle I’ve built from all the hours on the elliptica-probably the best bang for the time exercise I’ve ever found. And to be clear, I’m not that concerned about weight, just about how much body fat I’m carrying, I know I’ve lost a lot because the few cool mornings we’ve had so far in the high 20’s and low 30’s feel cold as I have less insulation lol! But that’s fine, one thing about cold weather, you can just add another layer.
Remember if you changed clothes size, it means you gave up. Keep fighting brother!!!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
NSNG: No sugar no grains (yup I had to Google that).

I put on the freshman 20 when I retired, so started working on that in the spring. My approach is really simple, get on the elliptical (we own a nice precor), watch what I eat, and I skip lunch fairly often. I can drop a pound or two a week easily this way.

My only problem is all the vacations we've been going on (first world problem)! If I had a graph of my weight it would be a line of hills! Just got back from Sandals Barbados for 12 days where I gained 7lbs! I've dropped 4 in the week since I got back....working out and skipping lunch and not eating ice cream every day!!!! lol
The Precor is the elliptical I’ve used for decades now and my polar heart rate monitor works with it. I was going to buy a factory reconditioned one but when the virus madness ensued all of those got bought up.

Great job on your workouts! And also great job on your traveling and enjoying your retirement!!!!! Dropping a pound or two a week illustrates a great effort! Keep up the great work!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Remember if you changed clothes size, it means you gave up. Keep fighting brother!!!
Yeah that was the line in the sand! I wasn’t going above 34” waist pants! Now those are so loose that without a belt they’d work themselves off.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
51 years old here and I struggle as well. I maintain weight but it's at a little higher place on the scale than I'd like. I ride the shit out of my Peloton and stay very active between golf, walking the dog, and piddle dicking around in the garage and yard. I also am not a big breakfast guy so intermittent fasting is an easy choice for me. I have finally come to the realization of the 80/20 rule. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% fitness/cardio. Therefore I am now on a low as possible style carb diet. No more bread, potatoes, etc. I'm already seeing results.

That being said I also think fasting is not only good for the waistline, but it does wonders for the body in other ways. My longest fast was 4 days. After 2 days you basically stop thinking about food. It's crazy how clear your mind becomes. I've watched this presentation a few times and recommend to anyone to learn about diet, fasting, and how they affect the body. The Dr. is a very good speaker and even though it's an hour, it's not also informative but entertaining.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
51 years old here and I struggle as well. I maintain weight but it's at a little higher place on the scale than I'd like. I ride the shit out of my Peloton and stay very active between golf, walking the dog, and piddle dicking around in the garage and yard. I also am not a big breakfast guy so intermittent fasting is an easy choice for me. I have finally come to the realization of the 80/20 rule. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% fitness/cardio. Therefore I am now on a low as possible style carb diet. No more bread, potatoes, etc. I'm already seeing results.

That being said I also think fasting is not only good for the waistline, but it does wonders for the body in other ways. My longest fast was 4 days. After 2 days you basically stop thinking about food. It's crazy how clear your mind becomes. I've watched this presentation a few times and recommend to anyone to learn about diet, fasting, and how they affect the body. The Dr. is a very good speaker and even though it's an hour, it's not also informative but entertaining.

Great!

I would add, it’s the empty carbs like chips and such that are the biggest problem. I have a baked potato a couple times a week, potatoes have a lot of fiber and biotin as well as carbs.

For those that like coffee with a “creamer”, try using heavy cream instead of a creamer.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
With the Holidays fast approaching another Vinnyism comes to mind, “It’s not what you eat for the the couple of weeks between Christmas and New Years, it’s what you during the 50 weeks”.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I been using xylitol about 10 years as alternative to sugar. I got good results, what do you guys use for sugar alternative. NOTE: lethal for dogs
1697034107145.png

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length

Yep, fasting or a good colonoscopy prep! :D

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I been using xylitol about 10 years as alternative to sugar. I got good results, what do you guys use for sugar alternative. NOTE: lethal for dogs
View attachment 209946
I don’t use any artificial sugar. If I want a sweetener I’d just use sugar in the raw. It’s sugar that hadn’t been refined as much to make it white.

Last edited: