• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Height on Trailer Hitch

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can anyone give me a rough height on their trailer hitch (ball) to pull the boat level? I want to make sure I have the right drop on my hitch before I pick the boat up...and from what ive seen the hitch ball is a 2"? Thanks

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depends on your tow vehicle... the actual ball size is two inches but the drop depends on how high your vehicle sits.

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How high is yours off the ground. Just looking for a rough height. Ive towed with everything from a Honda Civic to a 10" lifted dodge. I have all the hitches...just need to know which one to bring. I remember from the showroom the trailer tounge seemed a bit higher than on some of my past boats. I didn't grab a measurement when I was there.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An inch and a half if what I use on my durango..... I will need to see what it's gonna be on my f250

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was looking at that air height adjustable option for my next ram 2500...kinda cool, but afraid its just something else to go wrong??

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had to put a 3" drop on my Tahoe. Could use another 1" in some situations.

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Its about 30 miles back from the dealer so i should be ok with my straight hitch.. its a stock f150. Not like my outboard will be dragging...

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
It would appear that the answer to your original question is "no." ;)
I'll give it a crack. 20 1/2" from the ground to the top of the ball keeps mine pretty close to level.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am assuming that you are picking up a single axle trailer for a FSH. In that case, towing level will not matter and you can figure out the best height later on, But if you are towing a dual axle trailer, then you need to get the correct hitch height so that you do not wear out the tires on one axle and cause braking issues with the non braking axle too high. Measuring. From the ground up to the permenant scar on my shin.........the bottom of ball will likely be around 14-15" off of the ground :D

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds good guys. Should be able to ball park it. Yes. Single axle trailer so it won't be a huge issue if it's up or down a bit for the ride home.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Like Just1more, I too had to drop mine 3" with a Reese adjustable hitch. Seemed the easiest way since my AR210 sat much higher. With the adjustable hitch you can swap out heights and tow just about anything.

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Like Just1more, I too had to drop mine 3" with a Reese adjustable hitch. Seemed the easiest way since my AR210 sat much higher. With the adjustable hitch you can swap out heights and tow just about anything.
What do you drive?

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
It's an '07 Tahoe LT that comes with 20" rims. It's lower than my '05 Tahoe Z71 was.

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok. I have a 15 f150. My standard drop is 3" for most trailers. I'll go with that on pick up day and adjust if I need too.