• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello all jet boaters

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I'm very green to the jet boating world so here is my issue. I have a 2001 Sugar Sand Tango 4x2 that has the mercury 175. I drained the fuel cell, changed the fuel filter and changed the battery. She ran fantastic on the hose. I dropped it in the lake ran fantastic but towards the end of a 2hr run she stalled and towed back to shore. The following day I get home and it started and stalled. If I spray alternative fuel such as carb cleaner it runs. So I'm leaning towards a carburetor issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, where are you boating at?

I'm sorry I can't help with carburetor issues, hopefully bumping your post back to the top of "new posts" somebody smarter may see it,

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm very green to the jet boating world so here is my issue. I have a 2001 Sugar Sand Tango 4x2 that has the mercury 175. I drained the fuel cell, changed the fuel filter and changed the battery. She ran fantastic on the hose. I dropped it in the lake ran fantastic but towards the end of a 2hr run she stalled and towed back to shore. The following day I get home and it started and stalled. If I spray alternative fuel such as carb cleaner it runs. So I'm leaning towards a carburetor issue.
Usually if it runs with starting fluid but then dies out once it burns that off, then you aren't getting fuel to the carb, or the carb has a dirty jet etc.
I don't know your model very well.
Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
Mechanical fuel pump or electric fuel pump?
I would take the hose off the carb and see if it's coming out when you turn key on (if electric pump) or when turning over (if mechanical). Catch in a can or old oil quart jug or something.
If you are getting fuel to the carb, then the carb needs a cleaning or rebuilding of some sort.
You can take it apart and just look for junk in the tubes and spray carb cleaner through any orifices.
If you can see where to get the jet out, get it out and clean it up.
https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Mercury-135-225hp-2-5L-3-0L-SportJet/dp/B01LYVQNVH/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_200_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YV4DT2J65445W81F3ZXH
Carb rebuild kits seem cheap enough.
Linked on my Amazon was a fuel pump rebuild as well. May look into that as well!
https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-30-250hp-Force-40-150hp-92-99/dp/B01LWVHQ10/ref=pd_day0_hl_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LWVHQ10&pd_rd_r=531e1c14-b3d8-11e8-b369-ffe841fc31b4&pd_rd_w=UbEFd&pd_rd_wg=yWjyB&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=BSJNFVSXA52WCXCMG384&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=BSJNFVSXA52WCXCMG384
I am NOT saying these are the right parts for your application, but do serve as a good starting point.

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Usually if it runs with starting fluid but then dies out once it burns that off, then you aren't getting fuel to the carb, or the carb has a dirty jet etc.
I don't know your model very well.
Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
Mechanical fuel pump or electric fuel pump?
I would take the hose off the carb and see if it's coming out when you turn key on (if electric pump) or when turning over (if mechanical). Catch in a can or old oil quart jug or something.
If you are getting fuel to the carb, then the carb needs a cleaning or rebuilding of some sort.
You can take it apart and just look for junk in the tubes and spray carb cleaner through any orifices.
If you can see where to get the jet out, get it out and clean it up.
https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Mercury-135-225hp-2-5L-3-0L-SportJet/dp/B01LYVQNVH/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_200_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YV4DT2J65445W81F3ZXH
Carb rebuild kits seem cheap enough.
Linked on my Amazon was a fuel pump rebuild as well. May look into that as well!
https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-30-250hp-Force-40-150hp-92-99/dp/B01LWVHQ10/ref=pd_day0_hl_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LWVHQ10&pd_rd_r=531e1c14-b3d8-11e8-b369-ffe841fc31b4&pd_rd_w=UbEFd&pd_rd_wg=yWjyB&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=BSJNFVSXA52WCXCMG384&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=BSJNFVSXA52WCXCMG384
I am NOT saying these are the right parts for your application, but do serve as a good starting point.
Investigating the issue further the fuel pump is not working correctly. So I'm heading out tomorrow to see if a local spot has the rebuild kit.

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Well mp4 videos will not upload but she is alive again with the fuel pump rebuild

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, where are you boating at?

I'm sorry I can't help with carburetor issues, hopefully bumping your post back to the top of "new posts" somebody smarter may see it,
Scott, I am in NY my first boat so I am doing some local lakes