• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello All!

wp11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hello everyone-

I am so thankful to have come across this site, and I was hoping to get a little input. I have always owned I/O boats. When we had our first kid a few years back, we sold it, but are now in the market to get back on the water. A friend of mine has an AR190 and I LOVE it! I am sold on the Yahama boat and on the jet engine. I think an AR210 would be perfect for us. We would be looking for a 17 or 18 model I think. With that said, we are in CA which I am learning makes things a little difficult. Can anyone explain to me the situation in CA in regards to these boats? What I gather is that they cannot be sold because they don't meet emissions standards set. The 190's do because of the single engine- but the 210's do not because of the twin engines... correct?

How do you get around this? If I were to buy out of state and bring it home- would there be issues getting it registered? Any difference with new or used and bringing it home? Any issues getting it worked on? Lastly, any CA AR210 owners around?

Just looking for a little advice on the best way to proceed. Thanks in advance for your responses- and thanks for the wealth of knowledge I have already received from looking around the forum

Matt

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you just register the boat in Arizona. Here is your wiki for getting a boat in “CA”
@JBehrens

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome @wp11 Please be advised that AR210's do not have turbo charged engines.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

wp11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I thought I'd read that you could buy a 210 out of state an bring it into CA. I thought the only Yamahas that didnt pass CARB were the super charged models (195s or 192s)
Thank you all for responses. I’ll do a little more research and see what I can come up with. Post corrected about the engines in the 210. 240 would be awesome- but don’t think it will fit in the garage. 210 I am thinking is max for now

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Matt,

First off, welcome! California is an absolute nightmare for these boats but there are easy ways around it. What I have found is even if the vessel is used you will not be able to register it in CA and honestly you do not want to register it here anyway. Best thing is to make sure CA dose not know that you own the boat or that it exists, that way you don't have to be concerned with all of the sates BS when registering and then the yearly California luxury tax for owning a boat. Depending on where you plan to be boating most of the time, I suggest registering it in that state, mainly Arizona if you boat on the Colorado river. Yes you will pay a higher yearly registration fee if you don't have an address in AZ to register with but you will save money in the long run, not to mention the headache involved with CA. Also, with Arizona's new registration process for out of state no longer requires in person vin verification so that will save you from having to take a trip to AZ Fish and Game. More info on registering can be found here: https://www.azgfd.com/Boating/Registration/

You mentioned you are looking for a 2017/18 so I am guessing that you will be looking at going the dealer route. Also good to stay away from Yamaha dealers in CA as they all have a good $4000 markup on these boats. Dry Dock Boat Sales in Vegas and Complete Marine in Phoenix are both good dealers to check out, availability for the 210's might be tough this time of year so you may have to do some hunting or wait a year. IMO if you are going to be in the 21ft market, it may be worth the extra beer tokens to go for a 212 Limited S, yes it is more expansive but you get way more for your money and you get the reliability of the 1.8L over the TR-1 twins.

I hope this information helps,
-JB

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I'd read that you could buy a 210 out of state an bring it into CA. I thought the only Yamahas that didnt pass CARB were the super charged models (195s or 192s)
I think you can but I am not 100% sure

wp11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Great. @JBehrens - thank you so much for the input. That is very helpful. I think rather than try to register out of state and deal with that (boat will be used in CA 99% of the time), I will just shift my focus to either a 212 limited or an older boat which is compliant. Thanks again!