• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello From Canada

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Have been boating a loooong time. Love speed and horse power. Got my offshore racing licence in Florida (where parents lived for years) as a young lad. Started out with a variety of "go fasts" (twin 900Hp hawk engines etc.) , moved to express cruisers and I do mean express (twin 502 Magnums with B llls) then in 2018 bought a Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO - now THAT has some decent acceleration. Soon appreciated the virtues of jet boating: less draft = more freedom, no out drives = more safety, less expense. Easier to tow with an SUV. A few weeks ago bought a 2020 Yamaha SX195. I have just finished "breaking it in" . I went beyond Yamaha's recommendation of 10 hours. Did do the 10 hour service, including the gear case lube - but continued to watch the RPMs until I hit 20 hours. Have been a long time boater on another forum with approx 7,000 posts. Looked at this forum and saw a lot really smart and precise answers and applied to join. Learning curve for a boater used to twin counter-rotating drives when you "get jets" LOL. Was spoiled by the Waverunner as with its RIDE feature you could move it sideways onto a dock. Not so with my SX195......bit like docking a brick - but that is likely my inexperience. *****Starting with a question. I have a call into Jet Boat Pilot as I want to know if their aftermarket bolt-on Side Thrust Vector Plate is available for 2020 Yamahas. In the meantime do any of you guys have a comment on that product? may also look at some RIVA gear but probably not until my 5 year warranty has expired or until I get written approval from my dealer - I know fat chance right? Comments appreciated!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have been boating a loooong time. Love speed and horse power. Got my offshore racing licence in Florida (where parents lived for years) as a young lad. Started out with a variety of "go fasts" (twin 900Hp hawk engines etc.) , moved to express cruisers and I do mean express (twin 502 Magnums with B llls) then in 2018 bought a Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO - now THAT has some decent acceleration. Soon appreciated the virtues of jet boating: less draft = more freedom, no out drives = more safety, less expense. Easier to tow with an SUV. A few weeks ago bought a 2020 Yamaha SX195. I have just finished "breaking it in" . I went beyond Yamaha's recommendation of 10 hours. Did do the 10 hour service, including the gear case lube - but continued to watch the RPMs until I hit 20 hours. Have been a long time boater on another forum with approx 7,000 posts. Looked at this forum and saw a lot really smart and precise answers and applied to join. Learning curve for a boater used to twin counter-rotating drives when you "get jets" LOL. Was spoiled by the Waverunner as with its RIDE feature you could move it sideways onto a dock. Not so with my SX195......bit like docking a brick - but that is likely my inexperience. *****Starting with a question. I have a call into Jet Boat Pilot as I want to know if their aftermarket bolt-on Side Thrust Vector Plate is available for 2020 Yamahas. In the meantime do any of you guys have a comment on that product? may also look at some RIVA gear but probably not until my 5 year warranty has expired or until I get written approval from my dealer - I know fat chance right? Comments appreciated!
Check out JBP thrust vectors and also another brand called Cobra Jet Steering. There are numerous threads debating this topic if you type it in the search engine. I used the Cobras and love them at speed and slow speed manuvering/docking

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Check out JBP thrust vectors and also another brand called Cobra Jet Steering. There are numerous threads debating this topic if you type it in the search engine. I used the Cobras and love them at speed and slow speed manuvering/docking
Thank you for @Crob83 will do!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would recommend the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe most popular system I make for that boat tempered aluminum adjustable selectable high speed assistance for high performance steering as well as slow speed assistance with the newest SUPER fins for more influence when off plane in forward and reverse also the deluxe version has a larger side force stabilizer for faster hole shot and a better ride in choppy conditions also when the fins are set at their lowest position they don't hang down under your existing rudder and the cost is only $268.99

Attachments

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The rear bucket on the 2020 directs the reverse flow to the side. For increased forward tracking either cobra or JBP fins will work. I have cobra ultimates and do like them. I have them adjusted to maximize the side rear thrust while still doing a decent job of slow speed steering. Just remember, before going into neutral or reverse turn the jet. If you turn first, then change direction you will find you can make your boat dance.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat! There's some 195 owners in here with some impressive performance mods. @SamCF @jEt_jAk, just to name a couple.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater welcome to the forum. You sure chose a nice boat. I think you are going to love it and no worries as you will find all the help you need here on the forum.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great to have another Canadian on board. If you're looking for a group to encourage you to spend your money, you found us! Steering enhancement is one of the first modes I did. Decided to go with the Cobras because of the versatility and I liked that they were aluminum instead of plastic. They made a world of difference, not perfect but definitely better. Enjoy your new boat, Cheers!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater welcome to the forum. You sure chose a nice boat. I think you are going to love it and no worries as you will find all the help you need here on the forum.

Thank you very much. Excited to enter this new chapter in boating. Did a lot of research when switching from I/Os to jets. the waverunner SVHO was awesome but the Admiral (wife) wanted a more "boat-like" unit so went with the 2020 Sx195. So far VERY happy. Cheers MT

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

Thank you very much for your advice! Cheers MT!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Great to have another Canadian on board. If you're looking for a group to encourage you to spend your money, you found us! Steering enhancement is one of the first modes I did. Decided to go with the Cobras because of the versatility and I liked that they were aluminum instead of plastic. They made a world of difference, not perfect but definitely better. Enjoy your new boat, Cheer

Thank you for the "warm" welcome from Canada! Who says you're "chilly" LOL. Yes, I have been boating for so long that I know a boat is a hole in the water into which I pour $$$$$ (willingly though). I hear great things about the Cobras. Thank you for the advice. Cheers MT!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Love to see more Canadians! Welcome, awesome boat choice! Where are you located?

Thanks @Whisky ....live in Ontario. Moved from Ottawa to waterfront community Brockville. Boat on the St. Lawrence in the Thousand Islands area (actually there are 1800 islands LOL). Just traded a 2018 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser SVHO in on a 2020 SX195. 20 hours on it. very pleased so far. I was totally happy with the Waverunner but the admiral wanted to be able to anchor and "lounge" to sun tan and make lunch/dinner hence the trade. Happy wife more time on the water Ha Ha.....I agreed but not wanting to loose too much acceleration went again for the supercharged 1.8 The engine will live most of its life at about 5000 RPM +/- and when boating a lot I spin the oil filter off and top up the oil in between "scheduled" oil changes as I find that really prolongs the like of engines, particularly supercharged ones. Cheers! MT

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is awesome! I lived in the Kemptville area for a few years back when I was younger and would have loved to have a boat to explore the islands and river with! What an incredibly beautiful area! Can not wait to see lots of pictures as you explore!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
That is awesome! I lived in the Kemptville area for a few years back when I was younger and would have loved to have a boat to explore the islands and river with! What an incredibly beautiful area! Can not wait to see lots of pictures as you explore!
@Whisky .... I have several friends who used to live in Kemptville and have been there many times. Depending how long ago you were there you would not recognize it. Lost its small town charm a bit. Now many of the residents are from Ottawa, property prices have increased at least 500%. I think you can "google" E-Quinelle to see a huge golf/marina community that has sprung-up near by. Big box stores of all kinds......maybe not "your" Kemptville? Cheers! MT

Last edited:

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Whisky .... I have several friends who used to live in Kemptville and have been there many times. dDpending how long ago you were there you would not recognize it. Lost its small town charm a bit. Now many of the residents are from Ottawa, property prices have increased at least 500%. I think you can "google" E-Quinelle to see a huge golf/marina community that has sprung-up near by. Big box stores of all kinds......maybe not "your" Kemptville? Cheers! MT
aww dang, yup, the e-quinelle project was just getting started when I came out west, I’ve heard the same from old friends that it just isn’t what it used to be.

Heart breaking for my sentimental soul, remembering when TSC was the biggest, baddest thing in town!

Good memories from my time there, thanks for the flash back! Stay safe and have fun out there!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Was spoiled by the Waverunner as with its RIDE feature you could move it sideways onto a dock. Not so with my SX195......bit like docking a brick - but that is likely my inexperience.
Welcome @Canuckjetboater
We're long time boaters, but first time jetboat owners, and although the handling is different, it's actually better than our old stern drive. You can really take advantage of the quick steering input, and pop back and forth from fwd<>rev as needed (no transmission/dog gear). Practice a bit in the open water with sharp turns, and then reverse with the opposite steering and you'll find you can really control the stern of the boat - the jet thrust will allow you to turn a 360 in about a boat length. I was a bit nervous first day out, but once you get that different handling figured out, you'll find docking is easier with the jetboat...a little practice is all it takes.
*****Starting with a question. I have a call into Jet Boat Pilot as I want to know if their aftermarket bolt-on Side Thrust Vector Plate is available for 2020 Yamahas.
Earlier models before the Articulating Keel "rudder", jetboats would wander and not have much control without thrust. Newer models handle almost as well as a stern drive in basic operation, with the added benefit of much quicker input and changes. I was planning to add some kind of directional fins until I drove the boat, but now I've had some practical experience I don't feel the need as I can handle it better than the stern drive.
And she's a much more fun boat to drive!
:D

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@212s thank you for the welcome and advice! I was used to twin Mercruiser counter rotating Bravo llls which made a boat handle like it was on rails and the RIDE option on my former 2018 FX Cruiser SVHO - but, as you said, I will get used to the difference. We have over 20 hours on it already so docking etc. is becoming more intuitive.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@212s thank you for the welcome and advice! I was used to twin Mercruiser counter rotating Bravo llls which made a boat handle like it was on rails and the RIDE option on my former 2018 FX Cruiser SVHO - but, as you said, I will get used to the difference. We have over 20 hours on it already so docking etc. is becoming more intuitive.
Wow we thought we were racking up the hours...after 4 weeks of ownership but 3 weeks of use (one week at the dealer for service) we've hit a measly 16.8 hours. But we float/anchor a lot. Like you we gradually wound her up and didn't break 5000 till 2 hours, 6500 at 3 hours and crank it wide open until we hit 10 hours. Most days though, cruising along at 25-30 is nice. In a few weeks we're on vacation so hopefully the weather cooperates and we can get out and have some long lazy days on the water.
:thumbsup: