• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help 1998 sugar sand tango overheat

danny1982az

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just got this 1998 sugar sand tango 175hp. Took out twice did great awesome power ran perfect.. now overheat alarm. Figured thermostats, opened up, no thermostats installed.. there on order. Hooked to hose to check water flow.. no water flow to top of motor! Thought maybe poppet valve. Opened up. No poppet valve on this model I guess.. don't see any obstruction.. any ideas? Ordered new temp sensor as well.. maybe faulty. But can't figure out why no water flow to heads?? Please help!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @danny1982az that's a nice looking boat, sorry I can't be of any help, we only have a handful of sugar sands members but they do know those engines, maybe my reply will bump this back to the top of the "new posts" tab and it will get somebodies attention, keep us updated,

danny1982az

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the welcome Scott.. just realized I didn't put power head in my first post. It a Mercury sport jet 175hp.. serial number 0E325197. newest update is talk to Mercury Marine directly, they were fairly helpful. Basically said it's an open flow water system. After an hour on phone we concluded that perhaps the impeller to wear rings clearance is out of tolerance.. needs to be under .090". I will get feeler guage soon to check.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
had you ever checked water flow on the hose before? maybe you don't have enough water pressure, some yamaha owners have that problem at home,

impeller wear sounds more like a generic "get me off the phone answer", maybe look at the some of the other sugar sands posts and use the @ feature to ping other owners, hopefully they have email notification so they'll know to take a look, @danny1982az

danny1982az

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ok. Thanks for the help.. ya checked wear ring clearance is good.. could very well be water pressure at home.. will lake test again soon and install water pressure guage at fitting on top of power head. If no pressure on lake I would suspect a cracked or leaking exhaust manifold.. as I understand that would cause the water flow to not make it to motor and just exit exhaust

danny1982az

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Bilmon .. you seems to know a bit about the sport jet 175? Any ideas or help? Could it be a hole or cracked exhaust manifold not letting water to top of motor?

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Hard to get enough water pressure on a hose. Not sure about the 175 but my 240 has a sensor on each head and they can fail, I've replaced mine, but I'm not sure if it will trigger the alarm. Could you have something in the pump restricting the flow at the inlet where water is sent to the block?