• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Buying used boat but I've got a concern

caphilli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took a test ride on a 2019 AR 190.
61 hours - everything felt great. We were on the water for about 30/45 min.
2 things that I noticed that are concerning:
1) When we took the boat out of the water and opened the 2 drain plugs and drove away, a good amount of water came out of them. The owner says that's the engine draining. But I'm not too sure. (Noob with jetboats). Is that the case? I can't estimate how much. It wasn't a faucet, but it was at least a couple cups.
2) When I crawled under the boat I noticed that one of the metal grate bars at the intake was broken off. How common is that? I'm guessing it's a pretty big deal. I called a yamaha dealer and they said it'd be ~$450 to install a new one. Does it need to be replaced before the boat is taken on the water? And Is it possible to do yourself? If so, where could I order one? Thanks!!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don’t think 2 cups is a lot. Just make sure there’s no hull damage.

Grate is more important. I replaced one on my sea doo speedster, wasn’t that hard. Have not had to do it on my Yamaha.

I haven’t checked but I’m sure you can get the grate from Babbits or other vendors.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Took a test ride on a 2019 AR 190.
61 hours - everything felt great. We were on the water for about 30/45 min.
2 things that I noticed that are concerning:
1) When we took the boat out of the water and opened the 2 drain plugs and drove away, a good amount of water came out of them. The owner says that's the engine draining. But I'm not too sure. (Noob with jetboats). Is that the case? I can't estimate how much. It wasn't a faucet, but it was at least a couple cups.
2) When I crawled under the boat I noticed that one of the metal grate bars at the intake was broken off. How common is that? I'm guessing it's a pretty big deal. I called a yamaha dealer and they said it'd be ~$450 to install a new one. Does it need to be replaced before the boat is taken on the water? And Is it possible to do yourself? If so, where could I order one? Thanks!!
I would take a flash light and look up inside the intake tunnel where that grate is broken off and make sure the impeller and the wear ring (sleeve around the impeller) is not damaged.. while you’re at it look at the other side as well.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
water doesnt sound like a big deal. A Couple cups could be from rain or 500 other things...

Missing Grate on 2019 would be a no-go... unless they replaced to before purchase, without additional costs.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That water draining from the plugs is not from the engines but a few cups are no big deal. Mine drains a couple gallons every time.

Replacing the grate would be easy. How it got broken is more concerning. Check all the fiberglass out as others have said.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought a seadoo with a missing intake grate tine. When I got it home I found the tine wedged between the impeller and stator. Thankfully it didn’t do any noticeable / performance robbing damage to the impeller or pump. The dealer price of $400 probably includes $200 for labor (charging a full hour for a job that takes 15 minutes). The intake grate, part 16, is $190 at yamaha sports plaza. I’m surprised they cost that much actually.

Like someone else stated, I would be wondering how it got broken in the first place but if I was the seller

Attachments