• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Can't remove driveshaft from LS2000

LS2000nKY

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm having an issue with the driveshaft when trying to replace the impeller and could use some much needed help. I removed the 4 bolts to the exit nozzle/bucket, then the 2 bolts vertical for support to hull, I removed the cables. The pump/impeller/driveshaft came out easily about 1 inch then stopped, I can't seem to be able to pull it out any further, I can easily wiggle it left and right but it can't pull it off. Is it stuck on something? I went through the cleanout plug and rotated the shaft by hand but that didn't help. Is there a step I missed? Is there something in the engine bay holding the driveshaft and preventing me from pulling it completely out?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, update your profile with your location so we know where you're at,

are you running premix or oil lines, if you have oil lines with zip ties you need to change them asap,

The impeller should just pull out, nothing on the engine side holding it in,
maybe post a picture of your housing and what you've taken off, but normally it's just
4 bolts,
reverse bucket
steering cable
pull it out,

many people have problems with the shaft being "vacuum" sealed in place and have to use force, hammer, 2x4, tow straps to get it to release. Since you've gotten to move an inch I would think something else is binding it,

LS2000nKY

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thank you for your reply, I tied a tow strap around it and pulled forcefully and it finally came loose. Next I'm installing new impellers.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Same trouble I have a chain and a come along pulling on impeller housing. Moves about an inch and a half but when released goes back in place. All my research says nothing retaining the shaft and should slide out from Eng. coupling? Any ideas with this one. Boat is a Yamaha LS 2000 year 2000 Starboard side

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull the other side out to see how easy it should be

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I do want to do the port side but may be the same issue. I think this boat has never been done before with impeller and ware ring replacement.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it was me I’d try to remove the other side so you can see what you’re dealing with

if not, I’d pull it tight with the come along and the tap it with a hammer or put a impact wrench or something on it to vibrate it loose

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe check in the boat to make sure the intermediate bearing isn’t moving rearward with the shaft

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Looks like the driveshaft splines are stuck in the midshaft bearing. I would gess the movement your getting is the midshaft bearing rubber and the engine compartment wall flexing. I think I would look at the midshaft coupler in the engine compartment and see if it is moving with the driveshaft when you pull on it. Some people have resorted to cutting the driveshaft then replacing the driveshaft and midshaft. I would try and spray some penitrating oil towards the splines from inside the water intake tunnel. That however may not work as there should be two o-rings that seal between the driveshaft and midshaft to keep the water out and would also keep any penitrating oil out from that direction. Otherwise if you remove the engine you will see a pop rivet in the center of the midshaft coupler that could be drilled out and you could spray penitrating oil in the splines from the direction. You could also possibly thread and put a grease zerk in the hole the pop rivet was in and try and separate the midshaft and driveshaft with hydraulic pressure from a grease gun. You might also at any point with some tension on the pump/driveshaft try tapping the side of and rotating the midshaft coupler maybe that could jar the splines loose.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I pulled the port side jet pump assy it came right out with a slight pull. However still trying to get the starboard side shaft out still hasn’t budged I the Eng mount bolts and opened the Eng to shaft coupling cover there was about a two inch gap between the mid shaft coupling and the mid shaft coupling. The mid shaft coupling spins freely with the impeller shaft but as I said earlier will not come Out. Retired military helicopter mechanic never encountered any thing like this!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Finely got the shaft out but have to replace the mid shaft assy and a few other parts also have to do a bit of fiberglass repair. Jet drive chined to a tree truck hitched to trailer and there ya go. Any suggestions preventing this issue in the future.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Finely got the shaft out but have to replace the mid shaft assy and a few other parts also have to do a bit of fiberglass repair. Jet drive chined to a tree truck hitched to trailer and there ya go. Any suggestions preventing this issue in the future.
To prevent it from getting stuck again make sure the o-rings in the midshaft are in good shape, use some waterproof grease on the splines, and remove pump every so often to re-grease the splines

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thank you for the info hopefully back to getter in a few days.