• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Choosing Keelguard for 195S

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anybody here with the Yamaha 2020 195S installed a Keelguard, and if so, which color did you choose? I'm going to order an 8' guard and try to match the Suede Gray hull/keel. Looks like Megaware offers Charcoal, Gray, & Light Gray. I'm leaning towards the Charcoal or Gray but not sure which once would be the best match to the boats hull. It's hard to choose colors online as color reproduction on monitors i highly subjective to configuration.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've had both Keel Guard and Keel Shields. I actually went a different route with me 2019 242 SE and had the keel Line X'd. I don't have the ability to post a pic where I currently am but if you run a search it will pop up. So far I like the results and they can color match the color of the spray to match your hull.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Can't help you with colour but 8feet is definitely the right length.

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had both Keel Guard and Keel Shields. I actually went a different route with me 2019 242 SE and had the keel Line X'd. I don't have the ability to post a pic where I currently am but if you run a search it will pop up. So far I like the results and they can color match the color of the spray to match your hull.
Looks interesting. What was the cost compared to the Keel Guard, Keel Shield? It looks like they just apply the Line-X with a slightly different mix that what they used for bed liners and lay it smooth rather than textured.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I personally went with the 10' and am pretty convinced that was the way to go.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks interesting. What was the cost compared to the Keel Guard, Keel Shield? It looks like they just apply the Line-X with a slightly different mix that what they used for bed liners and lay it smooth rather than textured.
It was about $400. It was only $20.00 in actual product. The rest was prep work.

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies! I reached out to Megaware and they are sending me samples of the 3 grays they offer. I'm going to look into the Line-X option in my area as well to see if it's available and what their cost is.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’ve had both Keel Shield and Keel Guard. Both are good.

mjs5128

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies! I reached out to Megaware and they are sending me samples of the 3 grays they offer. I'm going to look into the Line-X option in my area as well to see if it's available and what their cost is.
Keep us posted with which color matches best! I’m also interested in a guard for my 195S.

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keep us posted with which color matches best! I’m also interested in a guard for my 195S.
@mjs5128 ,

My color samples arrived from Keelguard and there's not really an exact match to the Suede Gray on the 195S. Without receiving these samples I would have ordered the standard gray which is definitely lighter than the gray on the boat. The Charcoal looks to be the color to go with for best match. It's slightly darker, but blends in the most and would be the least noticeable.

If I end up going with one Charcoal is the color I'm going to order.......although I'm still trying to convince myself to do the etching process on the shiny new hull. :) I'll try to post some pics here later for others reference. Colors won't be exact on computer monitors, but at least you'll be able to see each color guard against the hull for comparison and decide for yourself which color you like best.

mjs5128

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks for the run down! I was learning towards Charcoal, but when they give you two shades of grey it makes you pause. An exact match would be nice, but if it’s close it beats having damaged fiberglass

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Have you checked gator guard? They had the closest to the dark blue.

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those interested, here's a few pics of samples against the hull of my 2020 195S. From left to right, the guard colors are Charcoal, Gray, Light Gray. As previously stated, none are an exact match, but Charcoal seems to be the closest. I may see if Gator Guard is willing to send me some Keel Shield samples to see how that matches up. :)

Attachments

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
At the time a 10' was cheaper than a 8', honestly after having it on I would order the 10'.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
For those interested, here's a few pics of samples against the hull of my 2020 195S. From left to right, the guard colors are Charcoal, Gray, Light Gray. As previously stated, none are an exact match, but Charcoal seems to be the closest. I may see if Gator Guard is willing to send me some Keel Shield samples to see how that matches up. :)
Charcoal or black.

SlavO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
7' gator guard was fine for a 21' boat. It's a very install.. definitely recommend if you're beaching the boat. Either company would be fine I'm sure.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@mjs5128 ,

My color samples arrived from Keelguard and there's not really an exact match to the Suede Gray on the 195S. Without receiving these samples I would have ordered the standard gray which is definitely lighter than the gray on the boat. The Charcoal looks to be the color to go with for best match. It's slightly darker, but blends in the most and would be the least noticeable.

If I end up going with one Charcoal is the color I'm going to order.......although I'm still trying to convince myself to do the etching process on the shiny new hull. :) I'll try to post some pics here later for others reference. Colors won't be exact on computer monitors, but at least you'll be able to see each color guard against the hull for comparison and decide for yourself which color you like best.
how did this turn out? please describe the etching process... just by the sound of it makes me nervous.

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Yamahaul ,

I still haven't decided what to order yet. The charcoal color Megaware Keelguard appears to be the closest match to Yamaha's Suede Gray. I'm also still nervous about that etching process but it seems the key is to mask off the area well so you only etch where the guard will cover. I was considering requesting some samples from Gatorguard Keelshield to see how close their gray matches. I also looked into @Sotally Tober 's suggestion on Line-X, but none of the shops near me are equipped to spray larger boat hulls (no lift available). The color-matched Line-X seems like it would be ideal as far as a professional finish. As of late I've been more concerned about dock rash than my keel! :) My Mission Sentry fender's just arrived last night, so hopefully that helps me remedy that situation. If I was running in rivers and/or beaching my boat the keel protection would likely be higher on my priority list, but currently I'm only running in deep clear water lakes and either tying up at a dock for a few minutes or loading onto the trailer. I'm currently still looking for the best option for me.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@Yamahaul ,

I still haven't decided what to order yet. The charcoal color Megaware Keelguard appears to be the closest match to Yamaha's Suede Gray. I'm also still nervous about that etching process but it seems the key is to mask off the area well so you only etch where the guard will cover. I was considering requesting some samples from Gatorguard Keelshield to see how close their gray matches. I also looked into @Sotally Tober 's suggestion on Line-X, but none of the shops near me are equipped to spray larger boat hulls (no lift available). The color-matched Line-X seems like it would be ideal as far as a professional finish. As of late I've been more concerned about dock rash than my keel! :) My Mission Sentry fender's just arrived last night, so hopefully that helps me remedy that situation. If I was running in rivers and/or beaching my boat the keel protection would likely be higher on my priority list, but currently I'm only running in deep clear water lakes and either tying up at a dock for a few minutes or loading onto the trailer. I'm currently still looking for the best option for me.
Thanks. I just got the missions also. Look real nice.