• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Costly mistake?

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi,

I've enjoy my seadoo 180 Challenger very much! But today i might of hurt something but am always willing to learn from my mistakes.
I've attached a picture of a tube that is open. I turned my engine on and off while on throttle and heard a liquid squirt in the engine bay. i went over to unplug the drain plugs from the stern and on the left plug there was a hot liquid leaking and was oil. Not alot but now I'm really worried.

Is this normal sometimes?
Did turning the engine on/off while on throttle really bad?
I can't remeber if this hole that the oil leaked out was always opened and what should i do about it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I see the oil cap missing.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably nothing to worry about. Obviously, check/top up the oil first thing. And then replace the oil filler cap. Do a good engine bay cleaning and observe next time you get to run her a bit, but I'm willing to bet you are just fine.

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@veedubtek @Bruce you guys are awesome! Honestly i just turned 20 an this been my first boat for about a year and gone out only a handful of times. Now I'm gaining more confidence to go farther and often to sea while learning alot from this website.

Thanks for also replying very quickly lol

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remember.... no engine likes to be killed or started under throttle... as far as hurting it... starting a motor under throttle is prob worse.... the engine revs quickly sometimes before the oil pressure rises ca using internal dam age for those 1 to 3 seconds.... outside of an emergency, start and stop at idle!! This is best for long term engine health!

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yes definitely, it happend to me out of panic. My throttle lever was all the way down if it makes it less harsh. But it did feel bad on the engine.

Thanks for great advice

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats the oil cap, and it looks like there is water mixed with the oil from what I can see. Look at the dip stick and make sure the oil doesn't look like chocolate milk, if it does change the oil a couple times until it is clear.

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@ScarabMike
Do i need special tools? Is there a post around that might guide me on DIY oil change on similar engine?

I checked dip stick level last night and was very low. I was planning to take it to local brp dealer for oil change and to put cap on filler cause i can't even find it!

I haven't even flushed it because oil was so low.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cap in probably under the motor... Not too easy to get but doable.

The oil change requires an oil extractor/vacuum. It's like a hand pump sprayer but works in reverse.

http://www.westmarine.com/oil-change-pumps

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Cool, I'll give it a shot. I don't pay for car oil change and it'll be sweet not to pay for this at home either.

Thanks @Murf'n'surf

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Ok, so i thought I'd give you guys an update!

I was able to get my Hands on a oil vac and pumped away for around 20 mins. There indeed was water inside. Very little but was happy to finally clean it out including minor crude residue.

Got the brp certified recommended oil kit for around 60 bucks from local dealer. (If there's a cheaper place to purchase plz lmk)

Oh man, popping the oil filter cap off was impossible. I still don't know how i did it. I'm thinking maybe cause it didn't have both o-rings previously replace it got stuck in there pretty tight.

So, I went ahead and launched at my nearest marina last weekend and it was a success! It ran smooth, no oil leaks. Spent the entire day at Boca Chita key an island 30 mins east of SF.

Added pics below!

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was the water that was in the oil salt water?

Typically when someone gets water in the engine they perform multiple changes to get the water out.

Were you able to perform a 100% oil change or is it a partial change like on a Yamaha?

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yeah, had to have been salt water. When i poured the oil into a gallon the very last bit of oil dripping was chocolaty.

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I pumped out through dipstick. Is there other places that you recommend to pump out from. I haven't seen a yamaha oil change lol.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This thread needs someone more experienced than myself with oil issues. However I typically hear of those who have gotten water in their engines performing change after change after change. I was thinking 6 to 8 changes was normal.

Since it was salt water you now have salt inside your engine which is worse than water.

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Ok got it! I'll perform a thorough oil flush. Hopefully i didn't damage anything...

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Once you drain the oil from the dipstick tube you're supposed to put the engine in "flood mode" and crank it over for about 10 seconds to get the oil from the PTO back into the oil pan. Then pump that oil out of the pan. You repeat this process several times until you can no longer pump out any more oil.

On our 2012 (fly by wire) there's a switch under the helm that must be moved to activate "flood mode". A zip tie or extra pair of hands comes in handy when trying to do this.

Last edited:

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@jpass great! I'll definitely do that on my next oil change. Thanks for additional help!