• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Fiberglass repair and gel coat

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, I've been boatless for the beginning of this season because I was stupid enough to have repairs started 4 weeks ago with the promise that they would be complete by Memorial Day.

Well, I have been to the repair shop 4 times now with the latest being today. Besides some dock rash, there was a small gouge in the side where I had to avoid another boater that was backing out on the ramp and not watching. I spun around and clipped the dock. I was told that this would be an easy repair and they would have it done in a couple weeks.

The estimate for all the areas and to install a Keelguard was $5,700. I won't go into the first time I was supposed to pick up the boat but lets just say it would shock anyone.

This time, I went back and the repairs are easy to spot. Not like you can look at it and kind of see something may have been done - but obvious.

The fiberglass repair is wavy when you run your hand over it and the color doesn't quite match. When I asked the shop about the color match they said they just ordered a midnight black because all black is the same! I showed them that it was obviously not a color match and they said they would apply more gel coat tonight and I could pick it up tomorrow.

This is where I need your help - Do I just pick it up and pay them and move on or keep going back until they get it right which at this point I think they never will.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have to say it is the worst customer experience I have ever had.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you mean to say $5,700? It better be gold plated and perfect at that price.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Lucky for you we have a resident expert, @Glassman ,would you care to comment on this ??

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If it were mine, I wouldn't pay S%&T until I was completely satisfied, to start all black colors are not the same, second you should not be able to feel the repair. Especially at the price you are paying...while I'm not familiar with the cost of a keel guard but it sounds WAY overpriced to me.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Dang @cbus I'm sitting here at miles house right now. That's sad to hear. Hope ya get on the water soon. Was kinda wondering wear ya been!

No god answer to your question. Sorry.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$5700, that is insane!

I had some damage on the aft port corner to blue and white gelcoat. I spent $45 on Spectrum paste and bought a sheet rock contractor friend and his family dinner for applying it! My repair came out much better as well!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Take TONS of pictures !!! Hopefully you have before ones also. I would take the boat and tell them to take you to civil court. Document everything from A-Z.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
For $5,700 there better not be a freaking spot on it ANYWHERE!!! It would have been a huge red flag to me if my professional repair person said "we just ordered midnight black, because all black is the same"

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sad to say but I even payed for the Keelguard. He just put it on so that was another $200 on top of the $5k+ estimate.

The fiberglass repair was about 10 inches long and the gelcoat repair was about 4 ft on the side of the boat and another 5 inches on the front.

Besides that, putting on the Keelguard is the only other thing he did.

I also gave them the boat with my $600 cover on it and they did the repairs without covering that so the entire thing is filthy with dust. I asked him to clean it and they simply sprayed it with water but there is still dust on the top where they couldn't reach with a hose.

I am so frustrated but I really want my boat back so I'm stuck. I have told them to adjust things 4 times now because they weren't right and each time something new shows up that in some cases is worse than the time before.

Could really use some advice from someone that knows what they're doing as it relates to this kind of thing.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I tagged @Glassman I'm sure he will chime in when he sees the post, I really hope it turns out well for you. I hate it when you trust someone to do what they say and it ends up being a major letdown.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You got pics of the fiberglass damage?

$5500 sounds five times the amount they should have charged. Did you sign anything stating price? If not you need to go to bat here. If you did it may be wise to lower the price due to shabby work then go get estimates for fixing their crap work. Take them to court and sue for the cost to repair their repair.

We really need pics to help, but anyone that says all black is the same needs to close up shop.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is a crazy price. Last year I had two spots repaired one deep groove that was 1/2 inch wide and 3 feet long and the other was fixing a previous patch the size of a soccer ball. In addition I had the colored gelcoat repainted a different color and all that work cost me about $3000.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your troubles @cbus

I had to take a moment after reading your post.
Regardless of the price you were quoted (and I assume you agreed to pay) the job should be done right. Did you happen to get anything in writing?
Not having had an opportunity to see the boat beforehand, I won't speculate as to the degree of difficulty. Did you take any current photos?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hit a stump and had structural damage and gashes in the hull and it was around $7,000.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cbus Please don't think that I/we are talking down to you or laughing at your situation. We want to help. We love to help!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@cbus, like @Murf'n'surf said, I mean nothing derogatory whatsoever. I think we all have been in a situation like yours in some manner, at least I know I have.

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No worries. I take no offense at all. I am kicking myself for assuming this place would do the repairs correctly.

It is rather amusing that this place is so bad yet they charge ridiculous prices as if they are good and suckers like me get taken.

I appreciate everyone's input and look forward to any more info anyone has...derogatory or not ;)

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20140427_102420.jpg 20140427_102611.jpg 20140427_102126.jpg @Glassman Here are some before pics...

The first pic is the one that needed the most work.

It was covered with plasti dip so doesn't look that bad. The rest are really cosmetic but when you look at the repair you wouldn't think it was a good job.

Last edited by a moderator: