• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help finding a solution.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a strand of LED’s I want to hang from the tower on an occasional basis. The power source is a 2 prong 9watt 110v plug. Outside hooking up an inverter I’ve been trying to find a 12v adaptor with no luck. Figured I’d ask here for viable solutions.

Attachments

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No idea about that adapter. But, I bet for the cost of an adapter you could get something like this.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love that led flag. Appears to be 24v -30v DC and will need a DC booster/step up capable of handling 600 watts to replace the ac to dc transformer based on the photo in the amazon listing. Seems a lot more than needed to me for what it is and they may have chosen based on cost as bigger will always work but without having more details on the load hard to say. I can say a 600 watt constant load is nothing to sneeze at and will drain batteries somewhat fast. If truly drawing close to 600 watts or even 300 for that matter heat output from the leds will need need to be another consideration. I would not want direct contact with fabric, vinyl or plastic as an example.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you very much for all the responses.

Here is a pic of the actual adaptor the lights came with.

Could I splice the 2 wires from the lights directly into something and run them in DC instead of using an inverter?

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That makes far more sense at 30v dc 0.2 amps which would be 6 watts. So low draw and low single point of contact heat. Replace the transformer that came with it with the below linked item. Set it to boost mode with an output of 30v. Beware it is not water proof and will get warm. There are waterproof ones that have fixed outputs 24 or 36 volts but none right at 30. Using a fixed 36v output may burnout the leds. Using a fixed 24v output may under drive the leds (dimmer). I only linked the adjustable one assuming you can find a good place to mount it away from moisture.

DROK 180050 DC-DC 80W Auto Boost Buck Voltage Regulator Stabilizer 5A 3.3V-30V to ... Amazon.com: DROK 180050 DC-DC 80W Auto Boost Buck Voltage Regulator Stabilizer 5A 3.3V-30V to 0.5V-33V LED Display Volt Stabilizer Transformer Adjustable Output: Industrial & Scientific

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah Thank you. Based on the specs for the existing transformer; would it be safe and (easier) to go with an inverter?

I have that inverter already. I'll probably use this twice (on the boat). I can even slap in an isolated battery if needed for that night. I just don't want to burn my boat down.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Absolutely a 500w inverter will work. With an inverter you will be converting DC to AC and then the led transformer will be converting that AC back to DC. Terribly inefficient but should isolate that transformer and the leds from the audio system pretty well. With a use case of only twice per year it would be a toss up for me.

I will likely get one of those led flags for my house for AFD, MD, 4th, and VD. May even put it on my roof with my xmas lights.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right. I wouldn't mind using the transformer but since Amazon can't get it here until Thurs evening and I'm headed out of town Thurs morning that may not work. Plus for 2 times a year I may want to save the 110 plug for none boating applications. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to burn things up in the process. I hung the flag from my lake house over the 4th and got all kinds of compliments. Figured I'd take it to the wake tower next.