• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! First time jet boat buyer

JoeF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
hey guys, I'm ready to buy my first jet boat and Ive done all of the normal research on company websites and YouTube. I'm down to either the vortex vrx 2430 or the scarab 255 ID. I ruled out Yamaha due to the engines using saltwater for cooling. I like the Rotax engines a lot. Anyways, looking for pros/cons and the "hidden" info from actual users that the companies and promo videos aren't telling me. Thanks for any help!

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure why you rule out Yamaha due to its open cooling system. Ask the more seasoned jet boaters here for pros/cons of an open cooling system in salt water - they aren't always biased towards Yamaha.

I use my Yamaha exclusively in salt water - Tampa Bay and Gulf of Mexico. I'm only a newbie, with about 30 hours this year, but I believe there are others on this site that fall into the same category.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not 100% certain, but I think ALL of them use an open cooling system. The Vortex and Scarab have a closed system for the engine, but then an open system for that heat exchanger......I think......Part of the reason I never understood closed cooling systems on boats. You still have raw water intrusion as the final heat exchange method. So you'll want to flush and protect the same as you would the engine. You're just moving the problem to another location, and adding a significant amount of complication to the overall system to accomplish that.

I could be 100% wrong on that, and am curious if there are other benefits I haven't thought of there. Perhaps the heat exchangers from engine coolant to raw water are less expensive, or can be made of stainless and don't corrode like the aluminum block?? Dunno, seems like a lot of complexity to me......Just some thoughts.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now I always thought jet boat engine move forward or backwards using the thrust that comes out of the jets by using raw water. If I am correct then all jet boats will still need to be flushed regardless of make to prevent the build up of salt and also any sea animals that would stick to the jet drives.
Even though I have only used my jet boat for two seasons I have not found salt an issue as long as you take the time to flush the engine. [flag]

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not 100% certain, but I think ALL of them use an open cooling system. The Vortex and Scarab have a closed system for the engine, but then an open system for that heat exchanger......I think......Part of the reason I never understood closed cooling systems on boats. You still have raw water intrusion as the final heat exchange method. So you'll want to flush and protect the same as you would the engine. You're just moving the problem to another location, and adding a significant amount of complication to the overall system to accomplish that.

I could be 100% wrong on that, and am curious if there are other benefits I haven't thought of there. Perhaps the heat exchangers from engine coolant to raw water are less expensive, or can be made of stainless and don't corrode like the aluminum block?? Dunno, seems like a lot of complexity to me......Just some thoughts.
You are correct, Yamahas have a fully open cooling system while the newer Rotax systems use open water to cool the exhaust and as input to the heat exchanger. The benefit is that salt water isn't running through the engines. I think they just had a recall on some exhaust parts that have been melting on some models (hopefully they've nailed that now). I also don't see a major benefit from this approach....all outboard motors (to my knowledge) are open cooling...and that would be my next choice in terms of engine options. That said, I don't boat on the ocean often, so its less of an issue for me in general.

@JoeF I do like the look of the Scarab line up...so I'd lean towards the 255 ID, but I'd be looking to get a hard top if I went that route (some of the dealers in FL offer this).

JoeF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I'm mostly looking for comments like the 'exhaust parts melt on Scarabs' or similar concerns so that I can make a fully informed decision. I also read on this forum that the shroud over the driveshaft doesn't work as well as advertised... I have a yamaha waverunner and have never been a fan of pushing salt water through the engine block for cooling, but I'm not dead set against it if Yamaha jet boats are the clear advantage for warranty/reliability/customer service etc. Also from my research the Vortex and Scarab seem to use better materials and contruction in thier boats, so why are Yamahas so much more popular? Are the Rotax engines noticably louder? Thanks!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I'm mostly looking for comments like the 'exhaust parts melt on Scarabs' or similar concerns so that I can make a fully informed decision. I also read on this forum that the shroud over the driveshaft doesn't work as well as advertised... I have a yamaha waverunner and have never been a fan of pushing salt water through the engine block for cooling, but I'm not dead set against it if Yamaha jet boats are the clear advantage for warranty/reliability/customer service etc. Also from my research the Vortex and Scarab seem to use better materials and contruction in thier boats, so why are Yamahas so much more popular? Are the Rotax engines noticably louder? Thanks!
Are you trailering the boat? Keeping it on a lift? Boat-tel?

I trailer and have zero hesitation with using it in salt water. Longest was 10 days straight (Bimini '17).
Flushing in freshwater and/or with the engine hose connect in the driveway is so easy that have had zero salt water impact in 7 years of Yamaha boating.
Full disclosure, I'm 70% fresh (lake), 30% salt (Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay, Long Island Sound, Bimini,...)

JoeF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a slip so it will be in the water until I can get a lift installed.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Full Disclosure, I am 100% fresh water (one day maybe I'll make it to Bimini). But when I first started shopping, I was also looking very much at going with a BRP because of the closed loop cooling, but as mentioned, I soon learned that there were still things to flush on those engines anyways. On top of that, and all of the other positive feedback on the Yamaha engines, I decided that the open loop just wasn't the end of the world.

Remember, the engines are self draining and super easy to flush.

Plus, outboards are a saltwater go to, and as far as I know, they are all raw water cooling.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
as long as your sacrificial anodes are in good shape and kept in good shape, the salt water vs aluminium issue isnt as huge as people think because the salt water isnt "eating" or "dissolving" the aluminium per se. Salt water causes the "corrosion" of aluminum by facilitating the creation of aluminum oxide. The salt does not directly attack the aluminum, but causes an electrochemical attack like a catalyst that results in the corrosion. It would take years for significant corrosion to occur unless you just disregarded any and all normal "todo" things" when operating in salt water. Salt water is going to harm everything else metal on the boat way way way faster than the engines and jets. Metal grab rails, nuts bolts washers, snaps, upholstery.. all of these are in more danger from salt water than the engines.

as far as open vs closed cooling..... for decades outboard manufacturers have exclusively used aluminium and open cooling. Im willing to bet they know far far far more than anyone in here about aluminium, salt water, and cooling.... and they are still using the same things for decades with gold star ratings.... translation, its not the issue we all think it is.

Now your trailer, that is a completely different story and it WILL dissolve quickly from the salt water, so quicking there has been case after case of the rails looking perfect, paint looks new... you touch it, the paint was the only thing solid left!!! lol

Rinse boat off after every use and at least 1-2 times a week, and enjoy.

(not to be an ass I say this purely out of trying to save you and your wallet..literally... im just going to say what everyone in here almost is thinking but doesnt want to be "that guy".... due your diligence on rotax motors. There is a reason the nicest thing ive consistently heard them called is a pos. Sure there are die hards... doesnt discount the endless posts rants threads of major engine failure often. With rotax its not if its when. You might get the best one ever made and zero problems, statistically, you won the lottery. If you want any example, hit any forum with boats/skis using those engines and look at the engine problems left and right, now hit a yamaha boat/ski forum and find 3 if that! Note how many pages/threads it took for either... that says a lot)

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I haven’t seen anyone else mention this, but from what I’ve seen the Scarabs are quite a bit more expensive.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
=" Also from my research the Vortex and Scarab seem to use better materials and contruction in thier boats, so why are Yamahas so much more popular?
Well, the Vortex boat interior is very nice indeed and one of the downsides on the yamaha interior is a pretty basic interior but my 2019 SX190 was at least 10K less than a vortex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
key word... seem to use.... not joking, do you due diligence on these boats, you wont wonder why yamaha outsells, out performs, lasts longer, has higher ratings and fewer complaints. :/

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @JoeF. To begin you will find the fit & finish on the Scarab & Chaparral better than the Yamaha but that comes at a price. That's where Yamaha commands more market share is value/$. If you're going to be boating primarily in salt water I would put more value on a twin engine boat regardless of type.

I have used my 2006 SX230HO in the seas off Cape Cod for the last 7 years with no issues. I do flush after each use. I don't bottom paint my boat so don't leave it in for more than a week at a time. The installation of tow valves allows you to flush with fresh water while sitting in salt water. There are other benefits to these valves.

Any closed loop boat comes with additional cost, weight and service considerations. There would need to be a means to circulate this coolant, usually a rubber impeller which needs to be changed at certain time intervals to prevent failure and overheat.

You're buying during the right time of year as the 2019s are out offering good deals on 2018s and the season slows down around this time of year. Good luck on your decision.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hope it’s a great boat for you!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Got the 2018 Scarab 255 ID. A couple issues to deal with right off the bat, Bluetooth connection being the most irritating. Other than that, pretty stoked so far!
Congrats on the new boat! She's sharp looking. Good luck!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got the 2018 Scarab 255 ID. A couple issues to deal with right off the bat, Bluetooth connection being the most irritating. Other than that, pretty stoked so far!
Congratulations! Now we need to see photos!!!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sweet! Sharp looking boat! Congrats (again)!

I put these dock lights on my Chap a couple weeks ago. They're just bright enough I don't have to use my spot light to light up the channel markers. Thanks for sharing.